Page 8 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

monkees4va
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2011, 5:36 pm

I've dreamt random occurrences then get a very strange feeling of deja vu months later when I realise it's happening like the dream.

I have also had spiritual experiences involving my dead grandparents. Used to spook my mother when I was younger telling her stuff about nursing the the 20's that only my dead grandmother knew about and had talked about. I'd never met her and nobody had told me the stories. :/

Can sometimes 'feel' like there's a presence in the room as well.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 65 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 8:14 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
My point about Kaku is he challenges people to open their minds and to not be so confined by the way they think. He might not be Einstein, but he's entertaining to watch.

Kaku and Suzuki both set out to do exactly that and I do appreciate their good intentions. However I find Carl Sagan (astronomy), Baroness Greenfield (human brain), Alain De Botton (philosophy) or David Attenborough (Zoology) more inspiring in relation to opening my mind to philosophy and science. This largely due to their communicating from their strength (i.e. area of expertise) rather than lending their name to express opinions on fields outside their expertise.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Speaking of Einstein, I detect a hint of the paranormal in his thinking mode, which made him before his time.

There is a growing suspicion that Einstein was a high functioning autistic. Reports that he lectured to empty lecture theatres with no students and his strange manner he avoided intimate social contact. But perhaps most curious is his delay in speaking, Dates vary but it's thought he didn't start speaking till he was 8 years old and failed school because he disagreed with teachers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 8:20 pm

monkees4va wrote:

I had a strange experience last night reading a book to my daughter while sitting on a chair opposite her bed. I was really tired and I started closing my eyes on the chair but still awake. My daughter was also awake, Then I felt a gush of cold wind blowing on me - it was really very strong. I stood up quickly and looked around. The door was closed and the window firmly shut. My daughter was under her blankets. I honestly though the window broke and the wind was rushing in?

Simply can't explain?

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 9:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
monkees4va wrote:

I had a strange experience last night reading a book to my daughter while sitting on a chair opposite her bed. I was really tired and I started closing my eyes on the chair but still awake. My daughter was also awake, Then I felt a gush of cold wind blowing on me - it was really very strong. I stood up quickly and looked around. The door was closed and the window firmly shut. My daughter was under her blankets. I honestly though the window broke and the wind was rushing in?

Simply can't explain?

I suddenly got cold and had to leave a building last night too. I was paying pool beside a memorial for an elderly club member who pasted. The same spot where crazy stuff happened 6pm Sat NZ time, roughly the same time the Norwegian Killings occured.

Lots of their upset ghosts around right now, if paranormal science is to be believed, most will find peace soon

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 12:40 am

Surfman wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
monkees4va wrote:

Simply can't explain?

I suddenly got cold and had to leave a building last night too. I was paying pool beside a memorial for an elderly club member who pasted. The same spot where crazy stuff happened 6pm Sat NZ time, roughly the same time the Norwegian Killings occured.

Lots of their upset ghosts around right now, if paranormal science is to be believed, most will find peace soon

NZ has some supernatural things going on - the most memorable was the apparent comment from the Dalai Lama when he stepped of the plane in Christchurch in 2000 or 2001 and he suddenly became overcome in the airport. When he was asked he said this place has lots of angry spirits? move the clock forward to 2010-2011 and the earthquakes...go figure?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 1:27 pm

monkees4va wrote:
I've dreamt random occurrences then get a very strange feeling of deja vu months later when I realise it's happening like the dream.

I have also had spiritual experiences involving my dead grandparents. Used to spook my mother when I was younger telling her stuff about nursing the the 20's that only my dead grandmother knew about and had talked about. I'd never met her and nobody had told me the stories. :/

I get that deja vu feeling at times. I wonder if there is such a thing as ghosts?

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:

NZ has some supernatural things going on - the most memorable was the apparent comment from the Dalai Lama when he stepped of the plane in Christchurch in 2000 or 2001 and he suddenly became overcome in the airport. When he was asked he said this place has lots of angry spirits? move the clock forward to 2010-2011 and the earthquakes...go figure?

I remembered that he disliked Christchurch, and never wanted to go there, but I didnt know why thanks. I'm sure Aaron Farmer and Cornelius Vercamp aint too happy about it either.

Through my internet selling/buying, I've had lots of bad experiences with Chch folk.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 4:31 pm

Maybe the Dalai Lama has greater receptive ability than the average Joe and is more impressionable?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 5:32 pm

Surfman wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I remembered that he disliked Christchurch, and never wanted to go there, but I didnt know why thanks. I'm sure Aaron Farmer and Cornelius Vercamp aint too happy about it either.

Through my internet selling/buying, I've had lots of bad experiences with Chch folk.

Probably a coincidence given the earthquake was a natural disaster. I recall a friend of mine who was into Buddhism followed the Dalai's itinerary while he was travelling.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 5:34 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I get that deja vu feeling at times. I wonder if there is such a thing as ghosts?

Also possibility of inter-dimensional life-forms

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 1:11 am

aghogday wrote:
albums to eight track to casettes to compact discs to mp3 recordings

I was disappointed when compact discs first came out. I thought digital meant better sound quality but was sadly disappointed at the loss of nuance that my keen sense of hearing was fully aware of. It was like the music was no longer fully alive.

Now it's quantity and special effects over quality and originality. While music was once the only visual experience other than live concerts, now the visual presentation of the musical performance often plays a larger role than the music.

I can't help but to wonder if modern day culture, reduces our ability to experience all the other nuances of life, we might experience if we weren't desensitized by the jack hammer of culture.

Couldn't help but notice what you said here. That loss of nuance is partially due to the "loudness war". The music labels decided to try and raise the volume of the music by compressing the sample and amplifying it. What they lost were the peaks and valleys that plain old vinyl had done so well. There's no reason to do this except to try and drive higher sales, and it makes the music sound flat. There's several good examples of tunes where you have for example an awesome drum line that is compressed and sounds flat on cd. The same wave isn't compressed on vinyl and sounds many times better.

I would suggest recording all your old records to mp3, heh and say screw you to the record labels. There's an ongoing discussion all over the internet about this "travesty" of music reproduction. Do a google search, and you'll even find recorded side by side comparisons of the compressed track vs the same uncompressed track on vinyl.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 1:45 am

Here's a link to what i was talking about above.

http://www.steveriekeberg.com/2011/03/3 ... -on-music/