Post something that made you UNHAPPY today.

Page 1162 of 1998 [ 31967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1159, 1160, 1161, 1162, 1163, 1164, 1165 ... 1998  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 6:57 pm

got up way late in the afternoon. :oops:

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 8:37 pm

i'm watching the presidential debate and a quite popular candidate just said in debate that the education is bad in brazil because we value too much critical thinking, that for solving our education problem the schools should be controlled by the army. this election is really f****d up. there is a rise of the right, inflamed by an anti-politics feeling, willing to sell the country, and the left is busy doing a pantomime around lula's candidacy. it make me hopeless and afraid of future.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 8:39 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
i'm watching the presidential debate and a quite popular candidate just said in debate that the education is bad in brazil because we value too much critical thinking, that for solving our education problem the schools should be controlled by the army. this election is really f****d up. there is a rise of the right, inflamed by an anti-politics feeling, willing to sell the country, and the left is busy doing a pantomime around lula's candidacy. it make me hopeless and afraid of future.

are you investigating emigration to another less hostile place?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:02 pm

auntblabby wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
nobody will hire me for $#!+. :|

what sort of job would you like?

i'd LOVE for somebody to give me a chance in [digital] audio restoration, which I've done as an avocation since the mid-90s and for which I have a bit of skill. unlike many of the others whose work I've heard, I have a somewhat musical ear, I am reminded of this in listening to a recent reissue of David Rose' collected works, poor remastering job. I can count on the fingers of one hand with digits left over, how many paying jobs I've had, in the preceding 23 years or so.

send 'em a remastered masterpiece you have produced if there's any business that could use such services within commuting distance. or is that a work-from-home job?

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:03 pm

auntblabby wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

i always thought about it as a possibility but in a loose way, i still don't feel completely in charge of my life to do such a decision. but changing for a political thing only, i'm unsure... it seems that politics are messed up almost everywhere?

i feel hopeless because i don't even have a side to team up. wherever outcome, we already lost so much.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:09 pm

cathylynn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i'd LOVE for somebody to give me a chance in [digital] audio restoration, which I've done as an avocation since the mid-90s and for which I have a bit of skill. unlike many of the others whose work I've heard, I have a somewhat musical ear, I am reminded of this in listening to a recent reissue of David Rose' collected works, poor remastering job. I can count on the fingers of one hand with digits left over, how many paying jobs I've had, in the preceding 23 years or so.

send 'em a remastered masterpiece you have produced if there's any business that could use such services within commuting distance. or is that a work-from-home job?

it is work from home as it depends on the use of my laptop hooked up to my internet [some of my programs insist on a web connection for verification of ownership]. the type of business someone in my situation could attract, would be either individuals who have a "family heirloom" recording of a dear deceased relative that is wearing out, and it would be a job of preservation on digital media with perhaps some restoration tasks done [suppress noise, repair tape drop-outs], or it could be some professional concern's music recording they wish to enhance/repair before commercial release. now and then [every few years] I get the former, but never the latter. I've done far more gratis work than paid work.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:13 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

i always thought about it as a possibility but in a loose way, i still don't feel completely in charge of my life to do such a decision. but changing for a political thing only, i'm unsure... it seems that politics are messed up almost everywhere? i feel hopeless because i don't even have a side to team up. wherever outcome, we already lost so much.

if and only IF, a fascist [a demagogue or tyrant like Trump who has lots of quasi-brownshirts to do his dirty work for him] takes over who has it out for minorities/the disabled, THAT would be the time to leave. the commonwealth nations seem safe, though they are tough to gain legal residence in. if you have passable Spanish skills, would you consider another south/latin American nation such as Ecuador?

Last edited by auntblabby on 17 Aug 2018, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:16 pm

auntblabby wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

it is work from home as it depends on the use of my laptop hooked up to my internet [some of my programs insist on a web connection for verification of ownership]. the type of business someone in my situation could attract, would be either individuals who have a "family heirloom" recording of a dear deceased relative that is wearing out, and it would be a job of preservation on digital media with perhaps some restoration tasks done [suppress noise, repair tape drop-outs], or it could be some professional concern's music recording they wish to enhance/repair before commercial release. now and then [every few years] I get the former, but never the latter. I've done far more gratis work than paid work.

alas, networking, our achillles heel, would help. have you ever placed an ad in a large-circulation newspaper or, perhaps, an audiophile magazine?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:33 pm

in a hopelessly passé mode of marketing, I useta hand out business cards at local used record shops. that didn't work because record collectors are a strange bunch who LIKE their surface noises/record flaws intact. "naturalplastic" here on WP suggested I try LinkedIn, and I did put a blurb on there but no bites prolly because I didn't have any tech school credentials which is the only thing commercial interests pay attention to. I am not a member of "the club."

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:36 pm

What about a small film or digital shop? I frequent a camera shop that does video restoration (filmstrip to tape to DVD, etc.) and they dub in music or that sort of thing. I don't sense any of those employees have tech credentials; they're just very good at what they do. Just a suggestion?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:45 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
What about a small film or digital shop? I frequent a camera shop that does video restoration (filmstrip to tape to DVD, etc.) and they dub in music or that sort of thing. I don't sense any of those employees have tech credentials; they're just very good at what they do. Just a suggestion?

I don't really know anything about video restoration. it fascinates me though. never had a powerful enough puter to do it, it requires a bruiser of a puter for usable results. I know a little about photographic digital restoration, prolly could be taught more, but I live too far from civilization to find a job in it.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:53 pm

auntblabby wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

i always thought about it as a possibility but in a loose way, i still don't feel completely in charge of my life to do such a decision. but changing for a political thing only, i'm unsure... it seems that politics are messed up almost everywhere? i feel hopeless because i don't even have a side to team up. wherever outcome, we already lost so much.

if and only IF, a fascist [a demagogue or tyrant like Trump who has lots of quasi-brownshirts to do his dirty work for him] takes over who has it out for minorities/the disabled, THAT would be the time to leave. the commonwealth nations seem safe, though they are tough to gain legal residence in. if you have passable Spanish skills, would you consider another latin American nation such as Ecuador?

we have chances of a trump-like figure to win, even if he doesn't win, he already poisoned the public debates with so many wrong point of views. he brought up a huge revisionist look at the military dictatorship, paying homage to a well known torturer or saying it's understandable that woman earn less as they can get pregnant and leave the work.

our already ill social services are at risk too, most of politicians – even the ones with a less alarming discourse – seems favorable to reforming it in a stupid way that affects mostly low income people while doesn't even scratch privileges of high rank public workers, who are the true reason the system is in debt (they are cutting lots of benefits to disabled people, and putting it as a priority which must be done quickly, while we have public workers earning 39k+ reais/monthly (40 times the minimum monthly wage) as a salary topped with many extras)).

it's just sad. things are far from perfect, but they seem to be on path of getting worst. but i still feel insecure about moving somewhere else, how would i get or job or would be an immigrant somewhere else than being here? i would prefer somewhere south in latin america – argentina or uruguay, i'm more familiar with those places than ecuador. probably uruguay would be a better option, argentina is quite unstable place (although lovely). i considered europe, i'm eligible to portuguese citizenship (they had a well succeed left turn), but i need help from my mother to get it and she is reluctant... she think is too bureaucratic and expensive and pointless.

but in any scenario, how would i do in a different country? the world seems too big and dangerous as i get older.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:57 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
it's just sad. things are far from perfect, but they seem to be on path of getting worst. but i still feel insecure about moving somewhere else, how would i get or job or would be an immigrant somewhere else than being here? i would prefer somewhere south in latin america – argentina or uruguay, i'm more familiar with those places than ecuador. probably uruguay would be a better option, argentina is quite unstable place (although lovely). i considered europe, i'm eligible to portuguese citizenship (they had a well succeed left turn), but i need help from my mother to get it and she is reluctant... she think is too bureaucratic and expensive and pointless. but in any scenario, how would i do in a different country? the world seems too big and dangerous as i get older.

must it be help from your mother? what can she do to help you? you are better off trying sooner rather than when you are older and more set in your ways, you have the energy and sharpness of youth in your corner now, and less attachments rooting you down hard in Brazil. you are still young and adaptable to new situations.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:13 pm

I moved again, I’m at a nursing home to get better, I have roommates now, when one of them talks, she is loud, she is really hurting my ears. The lights are too bright & make the room hot. I hated it here! One person has the radio on no-stop. I’m getting depressed, I feel like crying.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:23 pm

i looked at linkedin. there is a fellow with your same name that does remastering and has the credentials you bemoan not having. i searched your name and looked at the first 600 folks with your name. no one is displayed with your skills and location. maybe you need to do something with your profile (i'm not sure what) so what you do and where you are pops up when your name is searched. i searched for remastering and got a list of folks who remaster comic books. i searched for audio remastering and got three folks, none of them you. some folks do both audio and video, which is likely an advantage. anyway, i'd rework your profile until you can easily be found under your name and audio remastering.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:33 pm

you might also include "samples on request" and "reasonable rates."