Post something that made you UNHAPPY today.

Page 1276 of 2000 [ 31990 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1273, 1274, 1275, 1276, 1277, 1278, 1279 ... 2000  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 11:02 pm

Kerguelia wrote:
Thinking about all the "potential" I had as a kid, how I was told I was "gifted," how they all said I'd grow up to be something great.
I grew up to be incredibly forgettable. Now, I'm not THAT hurt by this personally. I'm in an okay spot by my standards. But every once in a while, I think about what I COULD have been if I had had any motivation.
And it makes me just a bit remorseful. Just a bit, that is. Then I go back to my usual shenanigans. :)

I find an easy metaphor to explain all of my 'childhood potential' vs. how badly limited I've demonstrated myself to be in adulthood due to deficits of executive function is to think of a drag car with a stupidly powerful engine, super-grippy off/on racing clutch, but little 175 width summer economy tires on the back, on ice (maybe on pavement for the tasks you like). All that intellectual potentially can't possibly be put to what appears to be the 'potential' maximum outcome, because the ability to put it to use never actually existed and just wasn't noticed because as a young child everyone is severely lacking in executive function, and if anything your moments of hyperfocus suggest a well-beyond average ability to commit to tasks; later in life those 'less gifted' mundane individuals will surpass you because even though they only got several hundred HP instead of multiple thousands, they got big, wide racing tires and can actually apply all of their potential, or at least more of it than you and I.

Oh well, just try to enjoy doing donuts and try not to crash.

:?
:|
:cry:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2019, 11:11 pm

Ate too much.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 12:46 am

funeralxempire wrote:
To be fair, I basically laid out what I had to do when I was your age and in a largely similar position in terms of finances and dependency, I'm not 100% sure cuz I did work part-time, but only limited hours. I was also still in high school and year minimum from having adequate credits to graduate. All of the concerns you mention had to be weighed, and the consequences considered - as well as potential strategies for dealing with those - I knew they'd punish me, but they understood I too could and would impose consequences and that since I wouldn't tolerate being punished that effectively made that route more likely to lead to exponential blowback than to achieve the desired outcome. Basically, while it might be fair to suggest I was using 'adulthood' in an inherently childish and immature way, once I pointed out that pretty much any repercussions to the current set of 'autonomy goals' could be countered with additional ones and that I was absolutely prepared to respond in my usual scorched earth manner it forced a new, more lenient approach.

I was both bigger, and since I hadn't started smoking weed regularly a lot meaner so it's not like a physical response was ever even considered.

You can't kick someone out who's already used moving out as a potential response. If you're already not living there that's a non-issue, you already hold the high ground.

Once the new account is setup, that leverage is removed (as long as you follow up on all your expenses and direct deposits, but if you do it at the same bank they often can help with that). If you have a valid claim on the money and move it, you've taken the initiate and forced the other party to respond - if your mom really wants to take you to court she can try, but even then she might waste a bunch more money and lose, that's not a likely consequence so if you wanted to take the initiative you'd succeed and remove one source of leverage she has; you know, unless you'd rather leave that stick in her hand for her to hit you with, at least once you're holding it you get to decide how it's used from that point on.

Ultimately you gotta make your own cost/benefit analysis and I'm not questioning that you've made it correctly for your circumstances, temperament, way you value everything involved etc. I'm only suggesting that it's not inherently impossible. You've probably responded more maturely than I would have/did at that age, but that's not to suggest it's not a 'winnable' scenario.

Sounds fair. I just dont think it would work in this particular circumstance. My mother doesnt need to take me to court, she knows I cant afford to live on my own without her help. I wouldnt be able to pay for college, housing, or food. And without a job, I have no way to make that money. Id just get in a whole lotta trouble, and in my case Id lose. Spectacularly. I have no offense or defense. (lol the parallel here is kinda funny. Im five foot nothing and every person in my family but my mother-who is still 5'8"-is over a foot taller than me, male, and works out every day. Its been a while, but I still remember what a good ole belting feels like. And thats them being lenient)
Anyway, it was a cool convo. This is just one battle thats not worth fighting. Im glad it seemed to work out for you (?) but its not really too big a deal for me. A minor grievance really.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 10:30 am

That some people have difficulties to my own and in many ways, I wished I could help such persons like

graceksjp

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 11:30 am

I did not sleep good last night. I could not fall asleep until after 4:30.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 11:51 pm

Rain

Piri Alchami
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Feb 2019, 12:07 am

Human politics and lawyerisms.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 12:15 am

Some dipshit waited until I finished eating to offer me noodles, egg, spinach, chicken. :roll: what an ass hole. Living with some idiot like that is making me as stupid as living in a zoo

Had to walk one block around a puddle to avoid wet shoes

Some idiot told me that it waited for me, for wontons. That's not special or delicious. I did not say when I was returning. It stank olfactorially

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 9:24 am

A long wait for my bus

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 9:58 am

I'm peeved because my mom is visiting.
I hope it turns out way better than last time when we had an argument.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 12:05 pm

I just scheduled my kitty cat to be put to sleep tomorrow. She's really suffering. Image

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 12:59 pm

That's awful Isabella :(

Got too distracted to get any art done.

Tutor won't reply to email again.

Someone told me I'm obsessed with my ex just cos I want to figure some stuff out between us.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Feb 2019, 1:03 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I just scheduled my kitty cat to be put to sleep tomorrow. She's really suffering. Image
I'm very sorry. I really hope you can find/make peace with the decision cuz I know you wouldn't do it unless she was in very bad shape. Do you have any other pets?

What made me unhappy is that my girlfriend spent the weekend with her parents & brothers who have been getting over an illness. Might be a cold, flu or something kinda similar. Cass got back Tuesday & started feeling like she was getting sick too. She's trying to rest a lot. I just started to feel like I may be getting sick too but not sure. It's in the very early stages if I am. I already increased my vitamin C supplement so hopefully that'll help. I only ever get sick when Cass is & if I catch what she has, I'm majorly sick for a couple days & then I'm a lot better. Whereas Cass is doing bad for a couple weeks.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 1:16 pm

Thanks, Nick and TUF. She was diagnosed with very advanced Diabetes in the autumn and she isn't responding to treatment. She's lost about half her body weight and she's clearly uncomfortable. I have other pets including one beta fish, a male kitty, and my dog. My sick kitty and the dog are really bonded so it's going to be awful in that regard. My dog will mourn her, I'm certain.

I hope you and Cass feel better soon Nick. TUF, your tutor sounds odd. Can you switch tutors somehow?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:04 pm

(((Isabella)))

I've been through that many times, and it always hurts. Hugs for your dog, too.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 5:06 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Thanks, Nick and TUF. She was diagnosed with very advanced Diabetes in the autumn and she isn't responding to treatment. She's lost about half her body weight and she's clearly uncomfortable. I have other pets including one beta fish, a male kitty, and my dog. My sick kitty and the dog are really bonded so it's going to be awful in that regard. My dog will mourn her, I'm certain.

I hope you and Cass feel better soon Nick. TUF, your tutor sounds odd. Can you switch tutors somehow?

No because it's an adult learning course and he's the only one doing it. FE rather than HE.

He's just busy because it's an FE course in a HE college and he has real (accredited) classes to teach and a PHD to write.

I'm upset because of the defeat obviously.