Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 12:51 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:
i've been exhausted all my life, like the energy drained out of me completely. which is kind of funny, because i've been very hyperactive. i'd walk for miles, fast, while running for a few minutes, switching to walking, then running again. but i can't run half as long as other people do without been overwhelmed by exhaustion. it bothers me a lot. and very short breath, too.

Hmm... that sounds like it might be something physical. Have you gone to see a doctor about it before? It might be worth investigating. :) But yeah, I do relate to what you're saying. I don't think I have a problem with being short of breath, though. I know I do get very exhausted after certain types of physical exercise. For example, I remember missing class one time after exercising because I just couldn't get out of bed. The workout wasn't even that hard, so I don't know what the problem was.

Also, sometimes exercise is more draining if your body isn't as prepared for it. According to my dad, it sometimes takes a month or two for the body to adjust to a new exercise regiment.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

26 Jul 2011, 1:19 pm

syrella wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Getting regular consistent sleep, exercise and feeling motivated in life (Through pursuing some intrinsically important goal) has helped me overcome sleepiness. I might still feel sleepy from time to time, but the motivation easily overcomes it.

Indeed, motivation and attitude are two very important parts to the equation. I do my best to stay positive and also to have reasonable goals. I regularly accomplish what I set out to do, too. :D I just wish I was less tired and sleepy in the process. That is all.

There could also be other factors at play. Vitamin D deficiency, Hypothyroidism and Sleep Apnea are somewhat common conditions that cause ongoing lethargy. There are others, too, that I found in an online list somewhere. Googling "Why am I tired all the time" probably will set you in the right direction.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2011, 1:57 pm

Remember with exercise that a little = a lot.

Just force yourself to go and do SOMETHING regularly (every other day at least). You'll do more as you get more into it, but the key is to discipline yourself to stick with it. Even regular people have times where making the effort is most of the battle to get out and do it.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2011, 8:56 pm

I have had low energy levels most of my life. I can sympathize with you! :?
Getting more B vitamins could be the answer. I don't know what to tell you....

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2011, 2:50 pm

Dear Syrella,

I can relate to constantly being exhausted. I am always the adult about to go take a nap.

One thing I tried that helped at least a little is the supplement Ribose. I take it as a powder I mix into pudding or yogurt or a drink. It tastes nice.

My therapist lady is very nice and has explained to me that one reason I am tired all the time is due to my mind constantly having to reason out the meaning of all my communications and interactions with others (this could include studying I think). Because of the AS way of thinking, I have to sort out information and decide what it means, and that is a taxing process, whereas NTs process this information all at once.

As a response to knowing this about myself, I try to give myself some downtime where I stop draining my brain, leave it alone for awhile and just enjoy something that doesnt require mental work, like looking at a fish tank or playing with a stress toy or just running my feet on the carpet because that feels good and it gives my brain a break. It is okay to give your brain a break! :)

Additionally, I have personally found that one thing that drained my energy levels was constantly being anxious from hearing all sounds at too loud a volume and having no way to filter out noises. For many years this had a cumulative effect that caused massive exhaustion (ie I could not wash the dishes because it took too long to stand at the sink). What helped me with this? Wearing earplugs! It helps the excess noises to stay out of my head, I am not struggling trying to focus against all of these intrusive noises, and I have enough energy to cook a dish for dinner or wash the dishes! amazing! I am glad to be able to do these "simple" tasks because it was impossible before.

Hope that helps!

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 8:30 pm

glasstoria wrote:
Dear Syrella,

I can relate to constantly being exhausted. I am always the adult about to go take a nap.

One thing I tried that helped at least a little is the supplement Ribose. I take it as a powder I mix into pudding or yogurt or a drink. It tastes nice.

My therapist lady is very nice and has explained to me that one reason I am tired all the time is due to my mind constantly having to reason out the meaning of all my communications and interactions with others (this could include studying I think). Because of the AS way of thinking, I have to sort out information and decide what it means, and that is a taxing process, whereas NTs process this information all at once.

As a response to knowing this about myself, I try to give myself some downtime where I stop draining my brain, leave it alone for awhile and just enjoy something that doesnt require mental work, like looking at a fish tank or playing with a stress toy or just running my feet on the carpet because that feels good and it gives my brain a break. It is okay to give your brain a break! :)

Additionally, I have personally found that one thing that drained my energy levels was constantly being anxious from hearing all sounds at too loud a volume and having no way to filter out noises. For many years this had a cumulative effect that caused massive exhaustion (ie I could not wash the dishes because it took too long to stand at the sink). What helped me with this? Wearing earplugs! It helps the excess noises to stay out of my head, I am not struggling trying to focus against all of these intrusive noises, and I have enough energy to cook a dish for dinner or wash the dishes! amazing! I am glad to be able to do these "simple" tasks because it was impossible before.

Hope that helps!

Hi, thanks for your post! I need to go to class now, so my reply will be a bit short. I'll reply more later if I forget something!

It sounds like our experiences are fairly similar. There are days when simple tasks like doing dishes are too much. It's certainly a challenge when you just don't have much energy. I've learned to manage, but it's a matter of pacing myself and not asking more than I can manage.

Earplugs do help somewhat, also sunglasses. I've noticed part of the problem for me is also plain information overload. I have trouble filtering out what is important and what is not. The result is that I take in too much and get flooded too easily. I think that's what happens at the grocery store and also with studying. Just plain ol' too much going on!

So I've learned as well to just have a nice quiet environment.

I'll look into the ribose that you mentioned. I tried the B vitamins earlier and I think they helped a bit.. I'll keep at it and hope for the best. :) Good luck to you too!