Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 10:07 pm

Miskadoodle wrote:
Child abuse, definitely. Hearing parents scream at their children at the grocery store, I have to leave otherwise I will earn myself a smack in the face for saying something. I get so upset for those poor babies.

Cancer is the only thing, though, that will instantly make me cry. Any time I hear of someone being diagnosed with a terminal cancer or going through chemo, the instant empathy is so huge it makes my body hurt. My grandmother, who raised me through most of my childhood, died six years ago of lung cancer, and one of my favorite uncles also died of lung cancer. I was with them through their treatments, watched them struggle and suffer until they passed away, and ever since then it is my worst trigger.

Music can make me emotional too, when it's particularly beautiful or moving. Books make me emotional when I get very attached to the characters - I have gotten visibly upset when characters die. One series that I loved deeply when I was a teenager had a major character, one of my favorites, die, and I swear I'm still not over that, lol.

I felt emotional when both Dumbledore and Snape died in the Harry Potter books, I am ashamed to confess, lol.
But that series had obsessed me for 4 years (in spite of my avoiding it for a year due to the hype before I finally looked into it)

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 10:30 pm

Callista wrote:
Unfairness. Almost exclusively, unfairness. Whether it's against me or someone else, there's just nothing like it to get me worked up.

I'm usually unemotional most of the time, but unfairness can really get to me.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 10:37 pm

SammichEater wrote:
Callista wrote:
Unfairness. Almost exclusively, unfairness. Whether it's against me or someone else, there's just nothing like it to get me worked up.

I'm usually unemotional most of the time, but unfairness can really get to me.

Unfairness, cruelty, the strong abusing the weak, the powerful abusing the powerless. All that crap makes me see red. People who defend unfairness make me see double red. It's quite possible I have too much empathy and this leads me to feel overly protective. I have gone into rages, broken things, made death threats, etc... over this kind of crap.

OrangeCloud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm

The child abuse thing really bothers me. The other day I saw a woman smack her daughter accross the face in asda simply for picking up a tin of food and looking at it.

It really made my blood boil. :evil:

fallen_angel
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2011, 4:13 pm

Thanks for all your replies : )

I get triggered by abuse and yes I think there's a connection to childhood, at least it seems with many people here. If I read about people's past it doesn't trigger my childhood, I think I have coped that finally - it's more that I start caring then.

I also can't stand injustice and for example the song 'down with the sickness' from disturbed especially the end of that song triggers me very much.

trappedinhell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 7:07 pm

This is a great thread. I'm the same - I can't tolerate injustice of any kind. I've been obsessed with it since the age of 9 (I'm now 43). I constantly think of all the people who are starving, or abused, or trapped in other horrible situations. In every case I feel like it's happening to me. So I spent most of my life researching political and economic solutions to the world's problems.

Then I discovered that 99.9 percent of the world genuinely does not care.

Most people say they care about injustice, but look at how they spend their time - they don't give it more than half a minute's thought each day. So it is good to find so many people on this board who really do care.

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2011, 7:43 pm

What triggers me is when people fight it doesnt matter who it is, it hurts me seeing people fight and hurting each other by yelling hurtful names and screaming at each other I start crying which triggers my meltdown. What also triggers me is when I get roped in by friends into their problems and dramas I get confused its hard to understand and grip the concept of it all and it frustrates me because I dont get it I get upset and angrey that it triggers a meltdown one of my friends life is driven by drama everyday and I wonder how she copes with so much stress everyday I dont understand dramas they are to complicated and hard for me to understand. The movie The Neverending Story made me cry and Harry Potter the deathly hallows part one when Dobey and Hewig the owl died made me cry and watching a harrys practice a animal show here in Australia and vet Chris Browns show when people bring sick animals into the vet upsets me I dont like watching it, it makes me cry. I get upset and angrey that it triggers a meltdown one of my friends life is driven by drama everyday and I wonder how she copes with so much stress everyday I dont understand dramas they are to complicated and hard for me to understand. The movie The Neverending Story made me cry and Harry Potter the deathly hallows part one when Dobey and Hewig the owl died made me cry and watching a harrys practice a animal show here in Australia and vet Chris Browns show when people bring sick animals into the vet upsets me I dont like watching it, it makes me cry.

TheygoMew
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 8:09 pm

I get triggered by:

Injustices
Liars
repeated attempts of people doing mean things to me or others I care about

Bigots

Other people that are around me alot tell me I go on and on obsessively about these same things and just need to drop it. It's much harder for me to drop it.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 8:56 pm

bigots, all kinds- racists, homophobes, biphobes, transphobes, whatever the word for asexual phobe is, religious bigots, sexists, ablists, etc sometimes they make me so angry i feel like doing something very illegal to them. seeing bullies hurt other kids, emotionally or physically. know what its like to be one of those kids. bad memories. i can empathise. people who are cruel to animals. otherwise i dont get very stirred up by fiction. as in not even close to tears. not including titanic and rabbit proof fence. though the former got old.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 9:14 pm

Seeing kids or people getting teased or laughed at (especially if it's in regards to their quietness). I almost lost it in a grocery store once cause I saw a mom talking about how shy her baby was towards someone else she was talking to. Ridiculous as it was, I was this close to going to over to her and going on a tangent. I also despise when parents talk down to their kids or don't take them seriously regardless of the situation. I use to lose my temper when a shy friend of mine was trying to say something but couldn't be heard over the voices of other people.

But I think the thing that triggers me the most is people bitching at other people over the most ridiculous things. That really makes me want to tear right at them.

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2011, 9:37 pm

Depending on the circumstances... being criticized or corrected... but what really pushes my buttons is when i hear it twice from two different people in the same vicinity... it only has to be a little thing...

For example at work last week i was going to fetch some cheese from the cool room... i had other stuff to do and i couldnt see the cheese without having to go through all the boxes to find it... so i asked where i should be looking for it to save time and i was told "top shelf on the left"... then i walked past the boss on the way back and he said the same thing... "top shelf on the left"... then i walked past the third employee on my way to the cool room who gave me a weird look not sure what she was thinking... and she said... "are you look for the cheese?... top shelf on the left its really not that hard to find..." and when i got to the back of the shop i just EXPLODED with rage...

it really was not a big deal but it made me so angry at the time...

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jul 2011, 11:58 pm

Certain trains of thought really get my goat. Like when I think about or hear a story about some parent beating and abusing their children, I want to immediately go Hulk mode and smash through my wall. Instead I let it simmer inside (probably not a good idea =P). All I can say is, were I ever a police officer who discovered a child like this: http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2008/reports/danielle/ I would kill/beat to within inches of death the abusers, no question about it. And some other things get me to cry like a baby, such as the ending of 127 Hours, I totally bawled, I'm still not sure why exactly. I tend to tear up at awesome/happy things.