Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 1:56 am

This has to be politics - there is nothing of wisdom or truth in it.

Yes, I get the point.

Model 1: Reaction: primary source, one of my professors

Gorm is an enemy. Gorm is a threat. Gorm must be wrong. So, if Gorm says the sea is salty, it cannot be salty. If it seems to be salty, there must be some other reason, like maybe sea water has a lot of dissolved ozone.

Model 2: Loyalty: very prevalent in academia, politics, some religious organizations, but I base this on one particular colleague

The theory nust be right. The theory predicts that speech sounds interact a certain way, and observation shows they do. If after a few years we switch to a different theory, which predict they interarct in a totally different way, BEHOLD! When we reexamine the data they are found to fit the new theory.

Model 3. Solidarity: source my formar chairman and a report from another department, also observed in politicised talk.

Our side is right, The enemy is wrong. If someone on our side is seen to be wrong, we must hush it up - however bad he is, we cannot reject him without looking dumb. If someone on the other side says something true or does something good, we must NOT say so. If asked we must deny it. Admitting the other side has a point is treason.

Model 4: You know the source.

The enemy's cause is evil. Our cause is just. We see that the enemy does bad things and it is because their ideology makes them evil. We see that our side does good things because theu do not have an evil ideology. If one of our people happened to do something bad, it does not reflect on our ideology, because that is good and does not cause evil. If one of the enemy does something good, he does it in spite of his evil ideology, his evil ideology certainly could not inspite him to do good.

-------------------------

So - there may be others but that is asll I can stomach.

Just two questions - is it possible to subscribe to all foue simultaneously, or do you have to pick one?

And how can a thinking person communicate with someone who holds to any of them?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 11:10 am

Lamentably, we see these all the time in here--not least from a poster whom I am sure that I need not name. Not only do I think it is possible to subscribe to all four simultaneously, but it is possible to subscribe to more. I will add another model to your list:

Model 5: Gorm supports our enemies. We must therefore demonize Gorm so that, by extension, all things that Gorm does and all things that he supports are proved false. (Referred to in Yes Minister as, "play the man, not the ball."

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 11:14 am

visagrunt wrote:
Lamentably, we see these all the time in here--not least from a poster whom I am sure that I need not name. Not only do I think it is possible to subscribe to all four simultaneously, but it is possible to subscribe to more. I will add another model to your list:

Model 5: Gorm supports our enemies. We must therefore demonize Gorm so that, by extension, all things that Gorm does and all things that he supports are proved false. (Referred to in Yes Minister as, "play the man, not the ball."

All to true - with the corollary "Gorm does not attack our enemies".

In my history I have mainly encountered them one at a time, but I do not doubt that the unexamined mind can accommodate multiple "realiries".

I stopped at four, frankly, because once again my bedtime was about 5 minutes overdue.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm

Philologos wrote:

Specify, please. Along with links to prove your assertion.

visagrunt wrote:
Lamentably, we see these all the time in here--not least from a poster whom I am sure that I need not name.

I say it would be at least honorable to not go about subtlety insinuating such accusations since these fallacious formulations of statements could be paraphrases from any number of people and it would also be better to be frank about your accusations than to be a coward, which anyone who hides behind subtlety in their insults of others is.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 2:16 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Philologos wrote:

Specify, please. Along with links to prove your assertion.

visagrunt wrote:
Lamentably, we see these all the time in here--not least from a poster whom I am sure that I need not name.

I say it would be at least honorable to not go about subtlety insinuating such accusations since these fallacious formulations of statements could be paraphrases from any number of people and it would also be better to be frank about your accusations than to be a coward, which anyone who hides behind subtlety in their insults of others is.

A. I am not in a situation where I would need to prove my assertions. I speak from what I know, some of which cannot be documented to those who were not there. People are free to dismiss what I say as lies, delusions, rumors - though there ,may be consequences.

B. I did not name names to be polite. Check my interchanges of the last few days the source of #4 will be revealed to you without my needing to act

C. If you have reason to think visagrunt might be referring to you, talk to him after asking yourself if such a reference might be justified.

D. I assure you I have in my life seen enough examples of these and more I do not need to point at anyone person. If I were goung to indict you or any other, I - unlike some peoople - woiuld not critugque you as "some people".

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 5:07 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I am insinuating nothing at all. I am saying plainly that those who engage in the practice of "play the man, not the ball," exercise poor argument and faulty logic. Given that you acknowledge that these formulae could be paraphrases of the posts of any number of people, it follows that there is a legitimate complaint to be made.

However, last time I checked, the terms of service of this site enjoined us against engaging in personal attacks against other members. So I choose to keep the identity of the posters--and the one whom I consider to be the prime offender--to myself. You, on the other hand choose to label me coward, not merely denigrating my compliance with the rules, but in violation of them yourself.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 5:23 pm

visagrunt wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

I am insinuating nothing at all. I am saying plainly that those who engage in the practice of "play the man, not the ball," exercise poor argument and faulty logic. Given that you acknowledge that these formulae could be paraphrases of the posts of any number of people, it follows that there is a legitimate complaint to be made.

However, last time I checked, the terms of service of this site enjoined us against engaging in personal attacks against other members. So I choose to keep the identity of the posters--and the one whom I consider to be the prime offender--to myself. You, on the other hand choose to label me coward, not merely denigrating my compliance with the rules, but in violation of them yourself.

My statement is conditional. However, will you do me the courtesy of either confirming or denying that I am the insinuated "poster whom I am sure that I need not name"?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 8:00 pm

Monsieur Bougie:

I have rarely poked my nose into the instances of rabbit chicken play and reactive Schweinerei that I have observed you and certain others getting into. Reason being you and certain others I will identify when I please if relevant and not before have tended not to throw it into my fan or dump on topics of concern to me.

But - this IS a topic of concern to me - else why did I start it up? AND you have already pointed the fingerbone of suspicion in my direction.

So I say to you:

Civilized discourse breeds more civilized discourse. Rabid ranting breeds hate and violence and undermines everything that out to distinguish beings capable of reason from certain ones I will not name and the rest of the apes.

Even where there is little possibility of agreement, courteous and productive discussion is possible if we reject paranoid invective. I am always ready for courteous and productive discussion. From what I have seen, the same is true of visagrunt. Will you joins with us and the rest od=f the sane, or are you more at home with Fnord, Vexcalibur, bitl and raml?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 12:46 am

Philologos wrote:
This has to be politics - there is nothing of wisdom or truth in it.

Yes, I get the point.

Model 1: Reaction: primary source, one of my professors

Gorm is an enemy. Gorm is a threat. Gorm must be wrong. So, if Gorm says the sea is salty, it cannot be salty. If it seems to be salty, there must be some other reason, like maybe sea water has a lot of dissolved ozone.

How about this instead: Gorm is an enemy, an enemy does not seek your well being, if Gorm can reduce your well being through misinformation why would he not? It is not a good expectation to trust information provided by an enemy unless it is of the most elementary nature.

Philologos wrote:
Model 2: Loyalty: very prevalent in academia, politics, some religious organizations, but I base this on one particular colleague

The theory nust be right. The theory predicts that speech sounds interact a certain way, and observation shows they do. If after a few years we switch to a different theory, which predict they interarct in a totally different way, BEHOLD! When we reexamine the data they are found to fit the new theory.

And instead this: The current theory has such and such predictions and fits the data this well, but a theory in replacement of it would fit the data better.

Philologos wrote:
Model 3. Solidarity: source my formar chairman and a report from another department, also observed in politicised talk.

Our side is right, The enemy is wrong. If someone on our side is seen to be wrong, we must hush it up - however bad he is, we cannot reject him without looking dumb. If someone on the other side says something true or does something good, we must NOT say so. If asked we must deny it. Admitting the other side has a point is treason.

That's actually a good point. It is wrong to only chide one's enemies and recognize only the accomplishments of our friends. When a friend does wrong they should be rebuked about it and when an enemy does well they should also be acknowledged.

Philologos wrote:

The enemy's cause is evil. Our cause is just. We see that the enemy does bad things and it is because their ideology makes them evil. We see that our side does good things because theu do not have an evil ideology. If one of our people happened to do something bad, it does not reflect on our ideology, because that is good and does not cause evil. If one of the enemy does something good, he does it in spite of his evil ideology, his evil ideology certainly could not inspite him to do good.

-------------------------

Time to invoke Godwin's Law. :P

Philologos wrote:
So - there may be others but that is asll I can stomach.

Just two questions - is it possible to subscribe to all foue simultaneously, or do you have to pick one?

And how can a thinking person communicate with someone who holds to any of them?

1) anyone can think incorrectly at any time.

2) by not being presumptuous and confident of one's own perfection in rational thought.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 12:48 am

Philologos wrote:
Monsieur Bougie:

I have rarely poked my nose into the instances of rabbit chicken play and reactive Schweinerei that I have observed you and certain others getting into. Reason being you and certain others I will identify when I please if relevant and not before have tended not to throw it into my fan or dump on topics of concern to me.

But - this IS a topic of concern to me - else why did I start it up? AND you have already pointed the fingerbone of suspicion in my direction.

So I say to you:

Civilized discourse breeds more civilized discourse. Rabid ranting breeds hate and violence and undermines everything that out to distinguish beings capable of reason from certain ones I will not name and the rest of the apes.

Even where there is little possibility of agreement, courteous and productive discussion is possible if we reject paranoid invective. I am always ready for courteous and productive discussion. From what I have seen, the same is true of visagrunt. Will you joins with us and the rest od=f the sane, or are you more at home with Fnord, Vexcalibur, bitl and raml?

Sorry, I get paranoid occasionally when people speak rudely about unspecified others in ambiguous terms.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 3:04 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Sorry, I get paranoid occasionally when people speak rudely about unspecified others in ambiguous terms.

We all can question such references. I do my share of "certain people" references, which some have mistook.

The best solution is to walk up to the person, publicly or privately, and ask "Is it I?" At which point, if I am the "certain ones" user, will either say "Good Lord, no, why would you think I meant you". or else "Thou art the man"

Long ago, a conference I attended. Guy is talking about the folklore of the Pa'dunk, says how they have such a custom. Well hey - the same thing shows up in the people I work with, far from his example. Question time, I ask him about it.

So after the session breaks, I go to talk about it some more, and he's talking to somebody. And I hear him saying - KNOWING I am there: "It is terrble,m supposed to be a Linguistic conference and SOME people insist on asking questions about social anthropology.

I walked away - he did other jerkwater stuff over the years.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 3:37 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
How about this instead: Gorm is an enemy, an enemy does not seek your well being, if Gorm can reduce your well being through misinformation why would he not? It is not a good expectation to trust information provided by an enemy unless it is of the most elementary nature.

Even if we accept the statement that Gorm is an enemy as being truthful, the speaker is nontheless prejudicing himself. The truth of information provided by Gorm should be evaluated based on the substance of the information, not Gorm's status as an enemy (or ally, for that matter).

Quote:
And instead this: The current theory has such and such predictions and fits the data this well, but a theory in replacement of it would fit the data better.

I think you are speaking of two different things. Philologos is complaining of the person who rigidly adheres to the old way of thinking because its predictions fit our observations. Even when confronted with a new way of thinking that fits the observations just as well, they continue in their adherence to the old theory.

Quote:
That's actually a good point. It is wrong to only chide one's enemies and recognize only the accomplishments of our friends. When a friend does wrong they should be rebuked about it and when an enemy does well they should also be acknowledged.

Here we are ad idem.

Quote:
Time to invoke Godwin's Law. :P

I think that is precisely the problem.

Quote:
1) anyone can think incorrectly at any time.

2) by not being presumptuous and confident of one's own perfection in rational thought.

We seem not to be so very far apart in our views.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 4:39 pm

Philologos:

iamnotaparakeet:

visagrunt:

I think you are speaking of two different things. Philologos is complaining of the person who rigidly adheres to the old way of thinking because its predictions fit our observations. Even when confronted with a new way of thinking that fits the observations just as well, they continue in their adherence to the old theory.

------------------

I may not have made the problem clear.

visagrunt's formulation - it happens. Two possible solutions, no way to choose between them currently available - but some people will only accept one. How often have I been marked down for a valid answer not on the score sheet!

But not my point.

iamnotaparakeet's formulation - that happens too. If we can make the sky work with epicycles, why fool with going heliocentric just because it is more elegant?

But mine - there is a specific case. He CHANGED THE DATA! Originally, he said in print that THIS is the fact. The Low tone stays level across the sentence. He is not an armchair linguist, he listened.

When his model changed - suddenly the data changed and the low tone lowered. He did not say - oh - new data force me to change the model. The new model changed whsat he said he heard.

Of course we all tend to see and hear what we expect. Basic human psychology. But this was rather blatant. It is not zebra is white on black versus zebra is black on white - it is zebra has three toes versus zebra has one toe.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 5:14 pm

Philologos wrote:
iamnotaparakeet:

iamnotaparakeet's formulation - that happens too. If we can make the sky work with epicycles, why fool with going heliocentric just because it is more elegant?

Sorry for another tangent, but those aren't the same... for one, the Ptolemaic epicycles were an ad hoc addition to correct for why the data didn't match the theory. The heliocentric model is the newer model that fits the data far better and doesn't need such ad hoc additions. It is better because it is more elegant.

I think that mishearing or misreading is often the cause of faulty assumptions and conclusions made about other people.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 7:11 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Philologos wrote:
iamnotaparakeet:

Sorry for another tangent, but those aren't the same... for one, the Ptolemaic epicycles were an ad hoc addition to correct for why the data didn't match the theory. The heliocentric model is the newer model that fits the data far better and doesn't need such ad hoc additions. It is better because it is more elegant.

I think that mishearing or misreading is often the cause of faulty assumptions and conclusions made about other people.

Epicycles - is not what you said the same as what I said? I do not see the difference.

A: geocentric plus epicycles gets an approximation to observed planetary motion.

B: heliocentric without epicycles gives a more elegant approximation to observed planetary motion.

Which is what I was saying. Which I think is what you were saying. If not, do explain.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 7:22 pm

Philologos wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Philologos wrote:
iamnotaparakeet:

Epicycles - is not what you said the same as what I said? I do not see the difference.

A: geocentric plus epicycles gets an approximation to observed planetary motion.

B: heliocentric without epicycles gives a more elegant approximation to observed planetary motion.

Which is what I was saying. Which I think is what you were saying. If not, do explain.

I think we are saying the same thing, I just thought momentarily that yet another time I was being accused of being a geocentrist. Sorry.