Page 6 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 5:21 pm

CaroleTucson wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Who, exactly, are these man-hating feminists?

Very good question. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but I personally don't know any. Frankly, I've encountered far more woman-hating men (especially on this site!) than the opposite.

And it always bothers me when "feminist" and "man-hating" are thrown together. Exactly what does one have to do with the other? I consider myself to be a strong feminist, but I most certainly do not hate men. How does wanting equal opportunities and equal treatment in the law equate to hating men??? Sheesh.

In the same way that black civil rights advocates were the enemies of whites, ethical vegetarians hate humans, Jews were enemies of the great German nation, and so on. :roll:
There's no more effective (though laughable) way of countering indictments of oppression or even the mere existence of it with a feigned melodramatic persecution complex.

Yeah, gotta watch out for all the man-haters out there, what with all their building of acid bomb proof schools for girls and lobbying for funding of counseling programs for victims of sex trafficking, and community access to reproductive health care regardless of socioeconomic class. :roll: It is a horrifying state of affairs when being pro basic human rights irrespective of sex is said to be an anti-male philosophy. It says a lot about current constructions of masculinity.

to his Interest."

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 6:21 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
In the same way that black civil rights advocates were the enemies of whites, ethical vegetarians hate humans, Jews were enemies of the great German nation, and so on. :roll:
There's no more effective (though laughable) way of countering indictments of oppression or even the mere existence of it with a feigned melodramatic persecution complex.

Very well-said :)

Quote:
It is a horrifying state of affairs when being pro basic human rights irrespective of sex is said to be an anti-male philosophy. It says a lot about current constructions of masculinity.

Yes, it does. And I think it's interesting to compare female "liberation" to those earlier movements of black civil rights or youth rebellions. I wonder if men feel more of a sense of betrayal when women express a desire for basic human rights than they do when blacks or the youth express them. When a black man or a college student rebels, that's more or less expected. But when your woman rebels? That's not expected. It's betrayal.

It's ironic that we're still even having this conversation. I remember years ago hearing things like ... "society isn't ready for that yet" ... or "they're going too far" and "you can't legislate people's feelings". My response to that was, I don't really care about the feelings part of it. I expect that it will take a generation or two for that to come around. But in the meantime, we can fix the laws, and we can make sure that girls don't grow up being taught that they're second-class human beings.

And the thing is ... none of this really has anything to do with men. Pro-woman does not equate to anti-men. Personally, I get along very well with men. I enjoy their company. I enjoy having sex with them. Etc, etc, etc. But I get riled when I hear someone whining about a "double standard". I want to say to them ... really? You weren't so concerned about a double standard when women were paid half of what men were paid. You weren't so concerned about a double standard when women couldn't get into medical school. You weren't so concerned about a double standard when women were denied corporate promotions or were even fired for being too "uppity".

But despite all this, I'm grateful that we've come as far as we have. My daughters just graduated from college this past spring and they fully believe they have no limits whatsoever, certainly not the ones my mother or grandmother faced. That's something.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 7:08 pm

CaroleTucson wrote:
But I get riled when I hear someone whining about a "double standard".

Double standards are wrong, and it doesn't matter which direction the double standard is in.

I tend not to whine about that sort of thing much personally, because whining is the sort of thing that some feminists do that tends to annoy me the most.

Quote:
I want to say to them ... really? You weren't so concerned about a double standard when women were paid half of what men were paid. You weren't so concerned about a double standard when women couldn't get into medical school. You weren't so concerned about a double standard when women were denied corporate promotions or were even fired for being too "uppity".

I wasn't born then, either.