Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 7:53 pm

It seems to be a term used by messenger-bag carrying Starbucks-drinking bike-riding hipsters to identify themselves as not traditionally-religious, but with all the trappings of mysticism and beliefs in fairy dust all the same, just new-age fairy dust.

to his Interest."

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 8:45 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
It seems to be a term used by messenger-bag carrying Starbucks-drinking bike-riding hipsters to identify themselves as not traditionally-religious, but with all the trappings of mysticism and beliefs in fairy dust all the same, just new-age fairy dust.

Eh, I don't see it quite so harshly, and i have some beer in me now so the spirit is with me.

Serious answer time.

In at least modern parlance, religion and spirituality are considered complementary but not inseparable. Plenty of people seem to have one and not the other.

I would suggest that perhaps when a religious person who is ostensibly spiritual witnesses spirituality in a person who is clearly an atheist, perhaps what they are perceiving is a solemnity towards the unknowable.