Supervisor conflicts / Non-verbal at work

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Xinro
Raven
Raven

27 Jul 2011, 11:41 pm

Most of the time I'm fairly verbal. I can't say I find it super easy to talk to people and I'm pretty shy, but I can speak without problems once someone talks to me usually. When I get stressed or excited I sometimes will lose words - they'll just go poof out of my sentence and I can't figure out what word I'm supposed to use. When I get really stressed though, I sometimes stop being able to speak. Prior to a week ago, this never was a problem at work. I would become nonverbal only in personal situation when I was upset with someone. Now something has happened at work where I'm suddenly unable to talk around someone.

I got in a fight with a supervisor over a rather petty issue. I wasn't really upset about it, but she totally blew up and started talking about me behind my back. I heard her and got angry at her, and now she's lying to upper management, blemishing my perfect work record to exact her petty revenge. I was called into the office to talk to her with another manager and I lost all my words. I couldn't talk, I just sat there and stimmed and couldn't look at anyone because I was so overloaded by everything. Luckily I had my emergency card taped to the back of my ID badge and showed it to the other manager there, who entirely understood and accommodated me correctly. However, because I've decided to elevate the situation to the next level of management, I know I'm probably going to be put in this situation again. There's no way to not elevate it - I have to, she's lying and hurting my record and it's wrong. I just don't know how to deal with the situation or even find a way to receive reasonable accommodation.

Any recommendations or ideas on what I can or should do here? I hate talking about my AS because people assume you're ret*d and don't understand ASDs, but this needs to be handled properly.

radioman_
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2011, 12:03 am

Insist on private meeting with one person. The supervisor not allowed. Have the issue slowly and clearly explained to you. As a reasonable accommodation be allowed to leave to think about it. Then go write your response on index cards. Just some notes to help you organize what you're going to say. I lose my language just as you described and write out anything important I have to say. Hope this helps.