Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

stilldays
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2011, 10:29 am

I noticed in the singsong voice thread that people with monotone might have trouble with singing I do and its hell because its my main interest area. Is there a way to overcome this? I'm getting better but controlling. The pitch is a problem.

Naylor
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2011, 10:35 am

stilldays wrote:
I noticed in the singsong voice thread that people with monotone might have trouble with singing I do and its hell because its my main interest area. Is there a way to overcome this? I'm getting better but controlling. The pitch is a problem.

Get in to first wave gothic, death metal and black metal. It should kick start your vocal range but don't over do it because you will just tear your vocal chords.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 11:05 am

I don't think speaking with a monotone voice is related to tone deafness, but I could be wrong. I think my voice is pretty monotonous, but I sing okay.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 11:36 am

stilldays wrote:

I like to sing but I don't think people like to hear me sing! :lol: I have been getting a little better at singing but its a slow process for me. I recently bought a digital audio recorder and that has helped me quite a bit. What it allows me to do is plug in ear phones and turn the microphone gain up high. This way I can sing and hear what I actually sound like in real time while recording.

One of my main problems with singing is that I can't really hear how bad I am without listening to a recording or something. The instant feedback is nice to have in order to hear whats actually coming out of my mouth and figure how everything feels when it sounds right. When I was a kid I did speech therapy mainly for pronunciation issues and had the same sort of problem. I couldn't actually hear that I was saying things wrong... they sound right to me. :?

But that would be my recommendation, record yourself and try to work on small things. When I first started recording myself (I used to just use my laptop to record with) I realized how frighteningly out of tune and inarticulate I was. Then I started just working on the basics and I have at least gotten somewhere with it... still have a looong ways to go though! I posted a link to a song I sung that could give you an idea of how bad I am... too embarrassed to post it here but if you go and find it imagine something 20x as bad and that was my singing a year ago.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 11:41 am

I am a vocalist, so this is not an issue for me at all. I have sung by ear since I was 2.

You can take singing lessons. That would go a long way and it would make sure that you are using correct technique.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 11:49 am

I don't have a monotone voice, but I am a horrible singer!

Me and my family entered a karaoke contest last year, and we didn't get in the top 10 finalists. Over 70 entered, so like 60 other videos didn't make it into the top 10 finalists either. It was fun though.

For anyone curious, here is our entry:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4p2C_iAYaY[/youtube]

We were tired of having to record this 25 times, so weren't smiling.

I'm not interested in learning to sing though, we just entered this for fun, not to win.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2011, 3:42 pm

I would love to take vocal lessons, but only art majors can take them in my university. :/

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2011, 4:24 pm

Ocdgirl...super cool that you and your family did that, it's a great video. Sounds like a fun contest, I'd love doing something like that with my husband and son. Was it a Canada-wide contest, or something local?

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson