iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 7:56 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkegUsx_PHg[/youtube]

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

29 Jul 2011, 2:03 am

cool!! but why Jupiter?? we need to find hurry up and find an earthlike planet before we use all our resources!! :wink:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:18 am

jojobean wrote:
cool!! but why Jupiter?? we need to find hurry up and find an earthlike planet before we use all our resources!! :wink:

Only problem is, an earth like planet is nowhere in our solar system - other than earth. We have to learn to walk before we can run. And in space exploration, that means going from taking baby steps to bigger ones, first.
But as I recall, because of Jupiter's sheer mass, it's meteor and asteroid magnet, as it has such a powerful gravitational pull (we all should thank God in our prayers tonight, as this is the primary reason why the earth isn't bombarded with space rocks). I would imagine that there's a whole lot of craters there of all sizes. I just hope the Jupiter probe doesn't get smashed by some rock hurtling from space to the planet's surface.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 7:01 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
jojobean wrote:

Only problem is, an earth like planet is nowhere in our solar system - other than earth. We have to learn to walk before we can run. And in space exploration, that means going from taking baby steps to bigger ones, first.
But as I recall, because of Jupiter's sheer mass, it's meteor and asteroid magnet, as it has such a powerful gravitational pull (we all should thank God in our prayers tonight, as this is the primary reason why the earth isn't bombarded with space rocks). I would imagine that there's a whole lot of craters there of all sizes. I just hope the Jupiter probe doesn't get smashed by some rock hurtling from space to the planet's surface.

There are hundreds of earth orbit crossing asteroids. Don't breath easy just yet.

ruveyn

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 10:06 am

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
jojobean wrote:

There are hundreds of earth orbit crossing asteroids. Don't breath easy just yet.

ruveyn

True, but it would be far worse than it is without Jupiter.

We had that swarm of asteroids hit jupiter only a few years ago in the nineties.

BTW: Jupiter is a ball of gas- you cant crater jupiter anymore than you can crater a cloud or the surface of the sea.

pollyfinite
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 10:28 am

Quote:
We had that swarm of asteroids hit jupiter only a few years ago in the nineties.

I remember that. Thank you to our space vacuum Jupiter. I am very excited about all these rovers and probes

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 10:44 am

pollyfinite wrote:
Quote:

I remember that. Thank you to our space vacuum Jupiter. I am very excited about all these rovers and probes

Jupiter did not stop a asteroid/comet strike on Tunguska in 1908. If was very fortunate that the country around Tunguska was nearly uninhabited. If that object had hit London or New York it would have been the Disaster of the 20 th Century.

ruveyn

pollyfinite
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 10:58 am

Quote:
Jupiter did not stop a asteroid/comet strike on Tunguska in 1908. If was very fortunate that the country around Tunguska was nearly uninhabited. If that object had hit London or New York it would have been the Disaster of the 20 th Century.

That is because nothing can stop space aliens.
(that was a joke)

It is true that nothing is perfect and things change.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 2:46 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
jojobean wrote:

ruveyn

True, but it would be far worse than it is without Jupiter.

BTW: Jupiter is a ball of gas- you cant crater jupiter anymore than you can crater a cloud or the surface of the sea.

That's right! Pardon my seeming ignorance, as I should know Jupiter isn't solid.