Your political opinions on abortion and capital punishment

Page 8 of 9 [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next


abortion and capital punishment: your opinions?
pro-life; anti death penalty 14%  14%  [ 13 ]
pro-life; pro death penalty 9%  9%  [ 9 ]
pro-choice; anti death penalty 46%  46%  [ 44 ]
pro-choice; pro death penalty 31%  31%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 95

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,745

05 Aug 2011, 12:23 am

mechanicalgirl39 wrote:
Yes, life has sanctity. And real, thinking, feeling people have more of that sanctity than embryos or fetuses.

'Responsibility' is not an argument for forcing someone to give up control of their body and health.


The problem with your argument is the child is a person too, and therefore the child has ownership of their own body. The woman's actions will be potentially killing the child, do I think the woman should be forced to have to raise the kid, no. There is something called adoption, and there are no shortage of people wanting to adopt babies and young children.



Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,022
Location: in my own little tamarillo jungle,

05 Aug 2011, 3:51 am

and when left to fend for itself it will die unless viable.
ie. abortion, inuyasha i really dont get your line of reasoning sometime, we have time and again shown you why this will only bring more suffering.


_________________
//through chaos comes complexity//

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.


YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,986

05 Aug 2011, 8:03 am

Killing is bad.
Pro-life, anti-death penalty.



Venerab1e1
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 6 Mar 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 278
Location: Kentucky USA

07 Mar 2012, 1:19 am

pro-choice; anti death penalty



scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 764
Location: cornwall uk

07 Mar 2012, 3:38 am

none of the above- I think that abortion is wrong because ending any kind of life should not be encouraged, however there are certain situations that it should happen, such as if the unborn child is killing the mother, there is no sense in allowing them both to die.

I agree with the death penalty in theory however this would require us to have a justice system, which the UK doesn't really.


_________________
existence is your only oblitgation
Quietly fighting for the greater good.


heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Sep 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,393

07 Mar 2012, 5:48 am

I voted pro-choice - anti-death penalty.

As far as death penalty it is not so much that I do not think there are some people deserving of death. My complaint is that death penalty is really just not practical. I read a statistic that only 2% of death row inmates are actually executed. If we are not going to execute those who are sentenced to death row, then what the hell is the point?

Furthermore, I just don't think it acts as much of a deterrant. I think life is in prison is often worse than the death penalty in terms of torture for many people. Why do so many people in jail to try to hang themselves? For the very reason that want to end their life? Why do so many people commit murder-suicides? For the very reason that they want to end their life.

And the last point is that many people are wrongly convicted, so they deserve a chance to exonerate them as long as they are live. I am pretty sure that some innocent people have been put to death and this is a crime of above all crimes. There is no crime worse than putting an innocent to death.



Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Age: 70
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,539
Location: Reading, PA

10 Mar 2012, 12:11 pm

Rick Santorum, Michelle Bachman, and Sarah Palin should qualify under one of the choices. Please don't call the Secret Service! I'm only being cynical or sarcastic or MAYBE I AM REALLY NUTS!! !!



scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,001
Location: San Francisco

10 Mar 2012, 6:55 pm

Theoretically pro on both, but I don't trust our judicial system to not execute the wrong people.



temperaryobsessor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 8

10 Mar 2012, 8:18 pm

Pro life anti death penelty.
I'm anti death penelty because I believe most situations it does not actually help anything.
I'm pro life because I believe a fetus is a human being, a person, and a baby whether the government agrees with me or not and that embarisment and/or a year of inconvience is no reason to kill a person.
I do believe that if the mother would actually be in danger by carrying the baby to term it is then her choice.
I believe in personal freedom until somebody else is hurt by your freedom and in this case there is somebody else.

Logically I could see the argument of saying they are not a person until their brain starts developing as reasonable, although I do not take that stand. However, I find defining someone's personhood by location pretty arbitrary e.g. not a person because they are still in the womb.



scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,001
Location: San Francisco

10 Mar 2012, 8:48 pm

temperaryobsessor wrote:
I believe in personal freedom until somebody else is hurt by your freedom and in this case there is somebody else.

Logically I could see the argument of saying they are not a person until their brain starts developing as reasonable, although I do not take that stand. However, I find defining someone's personhood by location pretty arbitrary e.g. not a person because they are still in the womb.


The libertarian credo doesn't really apply here, because it still depends on at what stage you consider someone a person, with inherent rights as such. If a fetus is a "person", the mother would be infringing on the baby's right to life. If a fetus is not a person, the state would be infringing on the mother's right to choose. Arbitrary or not, I don't see any way to take a stand on this issue without first deciding at what point one becomes a "person". (Or if such rights are granted by societies rather than by God, it might be when one becomes a "citizen".) Either way, I say from birth, and therefore I'm pro-choice. That's all it comes down to.



Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,022
Location: in my own little tamarillo jungle,

10 Mar 2012, 9:12 pm

scubasteve wrote:
temperaryobsessor wrote:
I believe in personal freedom until somebody else is hurt by your freedom and in this case there is somebody else.

Logically I could see the argument of saying they are not a person until their brain starts developing as reasonable, although I do not take that stand. However, I find defining someone's personhood by location pretty arbitrary e.g. not a person because they are still in the womb.


The libertarian credo doesn't really apply here, because it still depends on at what stage you consider someone a person, with inherent rights as such. If a fetus is a "person", the mother would be infringing on the baby's right to life. If a fetus is not a person, the state would be infringing on the mother's right to choose. Arbitrary or not, I don't see any way to take a stand on this issue without first deciding at what point one becomes a "person". (Or if such rights are granted by societies rather than by God, it might be when one becomes a "citizen".) Either way, I say from birth, and therefore I'm pro-choice. That's all it comes down to.


QFT


_________________
//through chaos comes complexity//

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.


temperaryobsessor
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 8

10 Mar 2012, 10:09 pm

scubasteve wrote:
temperaryobsessor wrote:
I believe in personal freedom until somebody else is hurt by your freedom and in this case there is somebody else.

Logically I could see the argument of saying they are not a person until their brain starts developing as reasonable, although I do not take that stand. However, I find defining someone's personhood by location pretty arbitrary e.g. not a person because they are still in the womb.


The libertarian credo doesn't really apply here, because it still depends on at what stage you consider someone a person, with inherent rights as such. If a fetus is a "person", the mother would be infringing on the baby's right to life. If a fetus is not a person, the state would be infringing on the mother's right to choose. Arbitrary or not, I don't see any way to take a stand on this issue without first deciding at what point one becomes a "person". (Or if such rights are granted by societies rather than by God, it might be when one becomes a "citizen".) Either way, I say from birth, and therefore I'm pro-choice. That's all it comes down to.

.

Arbitrary or not I chose conception as the point where I define a person, so if you agree with me on that the libertarian credo stands.
That being said I do not see everything as equal. I believe life trumps medical procedures which are not to save your life.
Even taking a pro choice stand on the definition of person, the right to "choice" is still no more legitimate than the right to lyposuction.



LKL
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Age: 44
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,402

11 Mar 2012, 12:54 am

temperaryobsessor wrote:
Logically I could see the argument of saying they are not a person until their brain starts developing as reasonable, although I do not take that stand. However, I find defining someone's personhood by location pretty arbitrary e.g. not a person because they are still in the womb.
The fact that you define a woman's body as a 'location' says more about you than you probably wish it would.



Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2010
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,299

11 Mar 2012, 1:04 am

I am pro-choice and anti-death.

I call the death penalty, the revenge penalty. People feel the death penalty is an act of justice and punishment. But it does not solve anything. The death penalty chooses nothing.

And a woman should have a choice of what happens to her body. I think, especially, if a woman was raped. If she wants to abort the fetus of a pregnancy due to something traumatic like that, then she should have the choice. A woman should have a choice no matter what. It's her body.



enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 866

11 Mar 2012, 5:45 pm

I don't see any reason to be against abortion.

As for death penalty, I'm not against it in principle, I just think it is ineffective and inefficient in ordinary situations. For criminal law matters, I find it risible, even for murder. Arguably, it might be useful for political reasons in extraordinary situation (e.g. a revolution or a revolt), but even then, more as a symbol.

However, every time I hear someone say: "This person should die", I quote Gandalf.



donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,981

11 Mar 2012, 9:16 pm

The death penalty is the equivalent of kicking your enemy when they're down and laughing at them. Abortion is pretty much just early infanticide.