Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 11:10 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
I like music, but I could live without it. I mean, music does not make my life worth living or anything, and I often go stretches without listening to it. It is just something else to pass the time with for me.

MotownDangerPants wrote:
I could deal with being blind but I am *extremely* auditory.

I am the opposite. I definitely would not want to lose my sense of hearing, but if I had to choose between being blind or deaf, I would definitely choose being deaf without any hesitation. I am too visual, and I do not think I could function properly without seeing.

Exactly.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 11:13 pm

swbluto wrote:
izzeme wrote:
music is my life; indeed becouse of the emotional resoponse triggered by it.
it might be becouse my emotions are pretty basic and bland; while music triggers complex emotions in me.

That's insightful. I wonder how much of that difference in the emotional tapestry between real life and music is due to intensity and how much is actual complexity (A combination of different emotions.). Both are probably significant.

I also notice that music sometimes touches on emotions that are quite ineffable. Music with very intense moods and ambiance can be that way. Real life emotion can seem rather dull and flat in comparison to the potential richness of music.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 11:44 pm

swbluto wrote:
You know, I realize when people say "I can't live without music", the word "live" is metaphorical in the say way that people with jesus inside them are "alive"(i.e., they feel alive or emotionally charged.). I understand that and, yes, most are probably right when they say that.

But, would an aspie tend to take the word "live" literally as in literally not being physically dead? My argument basically hinges on that interpretation, and I wonder if that's an aspie thing to do...

Well I would not die due to lack of music, but I would most likely kill myself if music stopped existing...if I have nothing to help me feel alive there really is no point.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 2:21 am

I am a musician.

I wouldn't die as a direct result of music not existing, but it's the number one thing that makes life worth living for me.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 11:12 am

swbluto wrote:
I've heard claims a many from teenagers that life wouldn't be worth living if they couldn't have music. Well, asking this of the few who doesn't listen to music, is it?

I think that is a very childish, stupid statement. That would be like saying the live of a deaf person is pointless. I do like music, but that is not the most important thing in my life. And my life is more important o me than listening to music.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

Ilka wrote:
swbluto wrote:
I've heard claims a many from teenagers that life wouldn't be worth living if they couldn't have music. Well, asking this of the few who doesn't listen to music, is it?

I think that is a very childish, stupid statement. That would be like saying the live of a deaf person is pointless. I do like music, but that is not the most important thing in my life. And my life is more important o me than listening to music.

Ok...just remember music has really helped some people get through some very difficult times in their lives, I do not think there is anything stupid or childish about being honest that if it were not for music there is a very large chance I would not be here. When no one is there to help which is much of the time due to the fact so few people actually understand how I feel......there is music.

If I were deaf my life would be pointless, I cannot stand complete silence........If there are people who can their lives aren't meaningless but for me yeah being deaf would most likely=death.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

I don't know where I'd be without my music.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 12:38 pm

NO. I would not be able to live without music. If music went away or I became deaf, I would probably commit suicide (no offense to the deaf community).

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 1:04 pm

It might be good to ask this question of someone who is deaf and can't hear. You learn to cope, I'd imagine. Having known the joy of music, I'd say it'd be hard to live without it. But someone who has never heard music before may get along just fine in life. The real trouble is when you have to make the transition from hearing to not hearing. That's gotta be really hard.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 1:06 pm

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music."
-Sergei Rachmaninoff

I would be very sad if music would disappear from my life. Playing the piano can be such a beautiful way of escaping it all.

Still, I would take deafness over blindness any day.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 1:06 pm

Ask people who lived under the Taliban (and probably still do)?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 1:19 pm

Well being born deaf is one thing, but yeah I am quite sure I would have no desire to cope if I went deaf, I am already isolated enough in my own mind I don't need to be even further isolated and probably could not handle it so yeah suicide would be the result. that is one of the few exceptions for the no-suicide rule I try to stick to. Because usually what happens is if I feel that way I listen to music and smoke a bowl if I have any and then I live to see the next day.

David23
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2011, 6:12 pm

Yeah, I couldn't live without music. It's a kind of release for me so without it, I'd probably explode :bom:

My Tweets sometimes get out of hand... Disregard any offensive ones... It's all in good fun/ludicrousness ;)

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

31 Jul 2011, 9:09 pm

syrella wrote:
It might be good to ask this question of someone who is deaf and can't hear. You learn to cope, I'd imagine. Having known the joy of music, I'd say it'd be hard to live without it. But someone who has never heard music before may get along just fine in life. The real trouble is when you have to make the transition from hearing to not hearing. That's gotta be really hard.

It's just sensory adaptation. When a person moves from a sugary diet to a vegetarian diet, their taste buds may first object to the blandness and lack of sweetness, but over time, their sense of taste adapts and they no longer find vegetables the icky things they once thought they were. In fact, if they consume something like... candy, it might actually be *too* sweet or it just has a taste that's kind of unappealing (or not nearly as appealing as someone accustomed to it.).

A person without melodious sounds would likewise adapt. If there were not the guitar riffs and drum beats of rock roll, one would find joy in the songs of birds that bards a many waxed poetic about.

Last edited by swbluto on 31 Jul 2011, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 9:41 pm

swbluto wrote:
syrella wrote:

It just sensory adaptation. When a person moves from a sugary diet to a vegetarian diet, their taste buds may first object to the blandness and lack of sweetness, but over time, their sense of taste adapts and they no longer find vegetables the icky things they once thought they were. In fact, if they consume something like... candy, it might actually be *too* sweet or it just has a taste that's kind of unappealing (or not nearly as appealing as someone accustomed to it.).

A person without melodious sounds would likewise adapt. If there were not the guitar riffs and drum beats of rock roll, one would find joy in the songs of birds that bards a many waxed poetic about.

Not to be pedantic, but there's a whole lot more to music than just "melodious sounds".

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

31 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
swbluto wrote:
syrella wrote:

It just sensory adaptation. When a person moves from a sugary diet to a vegetarian diet, their taste buds may first object to the blandness and lack of sweetness, but over time, their sense of taste adapts and they no longer find vegetables the icky things they once thought they were. In fact, if they consume something like... candy, it might actually be *too* sweet or it just has a taste that's kind of unappealing (or not nearly as appealing as someone accustomed to it.).

Not to be pedantic, but there's a whole lot more to music than just "melodious sounds".

LOL, and there's a whole lot more to bird songs than chirps. :roll: