Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

31 Jul 2011, 10:51 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
swbluto wrote:
syrella wrote:
It might be good to ask this question of someone who is deaf and can't hear. You learn to cope, I'd imagine. Having known the joy of music, I'd say it'd be hard to live without it. But someone who has never heard music before may get along just fine in life. The real trouble is when you have to make the transition from hearing to not hearing. That's gotta be really hard.

It just sensory adaptation. When a person moves from a sugary diet to a vegetarian diet, their taste buds may first object to the blandness and lack of sweetness, but over time, their sense of taste adapts and they no longer find vegetables the icky things they once thought they were. In fact, if they consume something like... candy, it might actually be *too* sweet or it just has a taste that's kind of unappealing (or not nearly as appealing as someone accustomed to it.).

A person without melodious sounds would likewise adapt. If there were not the guitar riffs and drum beats of rock roll, one would find joy in the songs of birds that bards a many waxed poetic about.

Not to be pedantic, but there's a whole lot more to music than just "melodious sounds".

LOL, and there's a whole lot more to bird songs than chirps. :roll:

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 4:34 am

swbluto wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
swbluto wrote:
syrella wrote:
It might be good to ask this question of someone who is deaf and can't hear. You learn to cope, I'd imagine. Having known the joy of music, I'd say it'd be hard to live without it. But someone who has never heard music before may get along just fine in life. The real trouble is when you have to make the transition from hearing to not hearing. That's gotta be really hard.

It just sensory adaptation. When a person moves from a sugary diet to a vegetarian diet, their taste buds may first object to the blandness and lack of sweetness, but over time, their sense of taste adapts and they no longer find vegetables the icky things they once thought they were. In fact, if they consume something like... candy, it might actually be *too* sweet or it just has a taste that's kind of unappealing (or not nearly as appealing as someone accustomed to it.).

A person without melodious sounds would likewise adapt. If there were not the guitar riffs and drum beats of rock roll, one would find joy in the songs of birds that bards a many waxed poetic about.

Not to be pedantic, but there's a whole lot more to music than just "melodious sounds".

LOL, and there's a whole lot more to bird songs than chirps. :roll:

This is true. You don't have to get snarky just because you know I'm correct. :P

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 4:39 am

marshall wrote:
swbluto wrote:
izzeme wrote:
music is my life; indeed becouse of the emotional resoponse triggered by it.
it might be becouse my emotions are pretty basic and bland; while music triggers complex emotions in me.

That's insightful. I wonder how much of that difference in the emotional tapestry between real life and music is due to intensity and how much is actual complexity (A combination of different emotions.). Both are probably significant.

I also notice that music sometimes touches on emotions that are quite ineffable. Music with very intense moods and ambiance can be that way. Real life emotion can seem rather dull and flat in comparison to the potential richness of music.

that is exactly my point.
'Music' by John Miles gives the right explenation to this, and a great example (for me at least) of the 'right' music for this is a youtube channel named "revennaras", if anyone is interested to find out about the power of music.
also:
http://www.lightbridgemusic.com/power.htm has a good explination.

also; yes, i'm a musician myself; i play the euphonium, rather proficiently if i say so myself

Bleu
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Aug 2011, 7:52 am

All I know is that if I forget my ipod when going away for a few days and therefore have no access to "my" music I get a little loopy. Very cranky and irritable. I went to the seaside last month, thinking I wouldn't miss music since I'll only be gone for a weekend. I was very wrong.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 6:26 pm

It's just noise (sorry)

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 7:57 pm

"Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum." –Nietzsche

BuffyFan4Life
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jul 2012, 11:46 pm

I know Buffy isn't music, but she helped me more than any singer/band did! Well the Buffy episode Once More With Feeling really makes me feel all giddy, happy and warm!! !! ! But I agree music always helps people feel better!

Buffy Summers is my heroine and role model forever!! <3

ComposerGal1928
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jul 2012, 11:59 pm

I don't think I'd even exist if it weren't for music. Both of my parents are musicians, and met in college band. And I've always sort of had music in my life since birth, and it's a huge part of my reality.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 12:01 am

BuffyFan4Life wrote:
I know Buffy isn't music, but she helped me more than any singer/band did! Well the Buffy episode Once More With Feeling really makes me feel all giddy, happy and warm!! !! ! But I agree music always helps people feel better!

This thread is about a year old...

I'll reply anyway. Currently my main and only special interest/obsession is music - my entire life essentially revolves around music - it's my only source of income, through teaching bass and guitar lessons, performing live shows with the bands I'm in, and busking. Playing music has also always been the thing I'm best at out of anything I can do. If I were unable to hear it I don't know what I'd do, but I know hearing is the last sense I'd ever want to lose.

BuffyFan4Life
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2012, 12:06 am

Atomsk wrote:
BuffyFan4Life wrote:

hearing is the last sense I'd ever want to lose.

I agree!! !

Buffy Summers is my heroine and role model forever!! <3

mike_br
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2012, 12:21 am

I don't like music much. Unless I'm driving or in a public place where music is playing, I never listen to it.

So... music is irrelevant in my assessment of life's worth.

Monkeybuttorama
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2012, 12:56 am

I honestly couldn't care less if I had music or not, I'm just as happy (sometimes moreso) with silence. The only time this changes is when I'm driving, and that's just because I need something to take my mind off how stressful the activity is, but I've had the same CD on repeat (no radio) for over two years, and I skip half the songs on it..

mike_br
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jul 2012, 9:28 am

Monkeybuttorama wrote:
I honestly couldn't care less if I had music or not, I'm just as happy (sometimes moreso) with silence. The only time this changes is when I'm driving, and that's just because I need something to take my mind off how stressful the activity is, but I've had the same CD on repeat (no radio) for over two years, and I skip half the songs on it..

This!
There's another one out there :D

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 9:40 am

I can't live without food and wter, but that doesn't mean I'd enjoy living without music. I listen to music pretty much whenever I'm not working or asleep, so it would definitely be difficult to live without it.