Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 2:39 pm

Hi

I have been reading posts on this forum for some time and have finally decided to join. This is a great site! I came across asperger's about a year ago. I am still unsure if I would fit a diagnosis. I will try to be as concise as possible and structure this post otherwise it will become a million tangents. In the beginning normal milestones were reached, I was a quiet baby but a very poor sleeper, this insomnia has persisted throughout my life. I had frequent meltdowns and sensory problems. At school I was shy but did have some friends, well one eccentric one. I was clumsy physically and socially, gullible and took things literally. I preferred my own company and when playing with other children I usually took on a controlling role. At secondary school I was a daydreaming loner who was bullied. I had some unusual obsessions, but these are often quite short lived around 4 to 6 weeks in duration. I was diagnosed with social phobia and anxiety in my teens.
As an adult I'm okay at small talk, but I loathe it, I can communicate quite well its just that I can't manage people they are just too stressful, I have friends but no close ones and have never had a long term partner. I have been diagnosed in adulthood with depression plus ADHD, I'm inattentive, a procrastinator...My main problem is not wanting to mix with people, anxiety and sensory integration issues (flourescent light, noise, nose like a blood hound) nail biter, thumb sucker, irritable bastard really!
Anyway could anyone provide any details about clinics/psychologists in the UK who diagnose ASD's. I have heard of the one in Cambridge anyone who has attended this clinic or any others please reply. Many thanks for reading my post.
Cheers
maria

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 2:41 pm

Hi! Bore dda! I wouldn't know about cambridge.

Pharmacy Techican is not the pharmacist

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 2:49 pm

Yes apologies for being a bore, I think I wrote too much.

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 2:50 pm

its a greeting welsh for good day!

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 2:57 pm

My mistake! Good evening.

Maria

chunkymicken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2006, 3:19 pm

I thought you didn't speak two languages!

Hello!

I have yet to be diagnosed, but you seem so like me!

I went to my GP last week, he was like what is aspergers. I got all supset and depressed, but went back and showed him stuff from the National Autistic Society and pointed out the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria and how I thought I met the criteria. He has referred me to a psychiatrist.

So I would say that is the best route.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 5:08 pm

Hi chunkymicken, thanks for your reply, yes I think a trip to the GP is a good idea. I see a psychiatrist for anxiety and depression I don't think shes too hot on autistic spectrum disorders but perhaps the GP could direct me to someone more suitable. My GP is slightly unapproachable great for physical complaints anything unseen is well unseen, but its worth a try!

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2006, 7:48 pm

hi fresco! you sound very similar to me. i find people very stressful too, and have severe sensory difficulties making me constantly stressed out whenever i'm out the house. it makes me irritable, which i hate because underneath i want to be a nice person, but all everybody ever sees is the annoyed and irritated me :cry:

anyway i'm sorry i can't be much help about diagnosis as i got diagnosed in a mental hospital, that's a place i wouldn't reccommend :lol:

03 Sep 2006, 11:18 pm

you sound like an aspie alright. BTW welcome to the forum.

Rhisiart_Steffan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 3:59 am

I'm biligual I can get muddled with witch language I use so sometimes I peak welsh to english people and they look stragly at me and call be an alysum seeker. :x

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 5:09 am

What jerks. :lol:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2006, 8:09 am

I was formally diagnosed with AS, but the Aspie quiz said I was "very likely an NT". That is weird.

Anyway, welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2006, 11:32 am

Sounds like we have a lot in common, fresco. we share a lot of the same traits. With the exception of light. Flourescent lights give me a headache but I actually like a lot of light. I'd prefer a lot of natural sunlight over flourescent though.
I don't talk too much either. But that's because I know if I start talking, it's hard to stop.

I hope you find peace, fresco. I hope we all find peace.

Wonderling
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Oct 2006, 12:24 pm

Hi I'm new here - just posted in the intro section -

This is all so like me. Its amazing to meet others.

I live alone on a large ranch - with no car. I am still quite connected due to the internet. I cannot cope with small talk now - I used to, but not now. I am a teacher and lecturer (when not on sabatical like I am now) and I like doing that - but have social anxiety disorder - I can hardly answer the phone. The world does seem really loud to me. Hmmmm

Do you find it works taking information to your GP? I did that when I lived in the UK also having a nursing background and having been married into a medical family, an being American where I think we tend to do this type of thing more (in other words I think this action was normal to me) but my GP accused me of being a hypochondriac and fobbed me off - so I got a new one.

I am on a quest to find a good doctor where I am now. Whew!

About the first post in this topic - I test very high for Irlens as well - have you looked at that? Many of the "symptoms" cross over with aspergers.

Life's destiny is best described
by the bass, the cricket
and how they met
on the same hook.

R.T. Sedgwick 2005

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2006, 1:57 pm

Hello! Enjoy Wrong Planet!