Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marlena
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2011, 4:46 pm

What are you're favorite teams, it can be any sport!

here are mine

hockey: pittsburgh penguins
american football:pittsburgh steelers
baseball: pittsburgh pirates

I'm also into college football my favorite team is Pitt

I try to go to as many games as possible. What's better watching your team on tv or actually being there?

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

Hi Marlena,

I have been watching the Pirates with interest this year. It's been a a long time since they last turned in a winning record. :)

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2011, 5:09 pm

Your list of favorite pro teams is exactly the same as mine, Marlena! :) Are you originally from Pittsburgh too?

The only difference is that I am a fan of Penn State, and of the Texas Tech Red Raiders, since I went to school there.

Marlena
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2011, 6:11 pm

Hahaha trust me sluice, everyone in pittsburgh is now intrested in the pirates. But i've been a fan long before the winning took place. I'm hoping we can at least stay a top the divsion

bicentennialman wrote:
Your list of favorite pro teams is exactly the same as mine, Marlena! :) Are you originally from Pittsburgh too?

The only difference is that I am a fan of Penn State, and of the Texas Tech Red Raiders, since I went to school there.

Yeah I live around pittsburgh. Are you from pittsburgh?

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 7:46 pm

I was a huge Pittsburgh Pirates fan growing up! God bless Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell and all the greats from the 70s. Kind of stopped following them after the Bonds/Bonilla era in the early 90s but am glad to see them doing well this year.

Other than that, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish are my favorite college football team while I follow both the Boston Bruins and San Jose Sharks in hockey. Took my stepson to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup finals this year ... along with the Pirates winning the World Series in '79, the Bruins championship this year is my favorite sports memory. Also follow the Red Sox, but don't consider myself a true fan.

Great idea for a thread!

musicislife
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 7:51 pm

Baseball: Boston Red Sox
Hockey: Buffalo Sabers
Football: Pittsburgh Steelers

Bit of an odd bunch ain't it?

Thundaeagle
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2011, 7:38 pm

Roller derby: Dangerous Curves
Super 15 rugby: Waikato Chiefs

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 7:27 am

In order of prefrence...
Hockey: Dallas Stars
Football* college * Texas Longhorns
Football * pro * Dallas Cowboys
Baseball: Texas Rangers
Basketball: Dallas Mavericks

I tend to stay local. :roll:
Also, it depends on what sports you're watching. If it's better live, or on T.V.

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

Marlena wrote:
Yeah I live around pittsburgh. Are you from pittsburgh?

Yes; I was born there, and my grandparents still live near Pittsburgh, even though now I live in Ohio.

I just realized that I didn't answer the rest of your question about how I liked to watch sports. Usually, I like watching from home on TV. You get to enjoy air conditioning, snacks that don't cost too much, and multiple camera angles and replays. Plus, being introverted, it's nice to not have to deal with a huge crowd.

But the times that I have been at the ballpark have been really special. As for how much of a difference it makes, it depends on the sport:

Football-- is made for TV. If you go to an NFL game, you'll be amazed how often everyone just stops and waits for several minutes before doing anything. It's all so that they can fit the commercial breaks in. It is great to contribute to the noise of a stadium cheering the team on, psyching them up and causing the opponents to commit a false start, but most of the time, you will not be very close to the action.

College football has a lot more to offer the fans at the stadium with the band, fight songs, and all of the school-specific traditions. I had a lot of fun at Texas Tech games.

Baseball-- is awesome to see in person. Many of the ballparks are absolutely beautiful now (including PNC Park in Pittsburgh, which I think is the best, but I'm biased). You have to have seen a lot of games on TV to know where to look to keep track of each play, though. (At first, every fly ball looks like it will be a home run, until you get used to judging the distance by watching the fielders' reactions.)

Hockey-- I have heard people say that hockey loses a lot in the translation to TV. Honestly, I have not noticed this. I love watching hockey on TV. It does take a little getting used to because you can't always see the puck if it is moving really fast. Instead, you need to watch the actions of the players. I have been to a few hockey games, and it is fun to the degree that the crowd gets interested in the game.

Basketball-- I don't enjoy watching basketball in general. The times I've been to a game in person, the crowd has always seemed really angry, yelling at the referees and individual players. I hate that, because at a basketball court, the crowd is often close enough for the players to actually hear them. I also think it's annoying how the crowd tries to make people miss foul shots; they spend so much energy on it, and it hardly ever works.

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Aug 2011, 10:07 pm

Favorite Teams of Sports of Interest:

American Football: Pittsburgh Steelers
American College Football: Miami Hurricanes
NBA: Detroit Pistons
College Basketball: Georgetown Hoyas
As for Baseball (I enjoy keeping up their stats, but can't seem to watch a full game), Its the Braves (I live in GA, and stayed in metro Atlanta for about a year, so..)

I've noticed that my teams are scattered over the place geographically, but I don't choose my favorites because I'm from that state like others do. If I like that team, than I will continue to like them, no matter who good or bad they may be.

Though I think I'm to the point where I'm not too obsessed with hating another 'rival' anymore....

Tom_NUFC
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2011, 3:38 pm

Football (Soccer): Newcastle United

My hometown team, an my one and only team. I've been through thick and thin with NUFC. I went to my first game in 1985 when I was 6.
I've had a season ticket since 1991. Despite not winning a major trophy since 1969, we have a massive support. In Newcastle no other sport rivals Football, and we're a one team city, so if you're from here then your team is Newcastle United, and there's a massive connection between pride in the city and support for the team.

I'm a big believer in supporting your hometown club, our at least a club that you have connections with in some way.

cdfox7
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm

There is only one, of the two local football (soccer) teams in my city, Liverpool Football Club.
I started going to home games when I was 6 tho I use to own a season ticket for the Spion Kop ten years ago.

Tom_NUFC I hope your not upset with the mighty reds of Anfield signing Andy Carroll from the Toon Army this year :wink:

18 + 5 YNWA 8)

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 5:59 am

Wow, I hate to point out the obvious, but the Pittsburgh Pirates have been biting it pretty hard ever since this thread started. Just lost their ninth game in a row last night. 8O

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 9:24 am

Yes, the Pirates seem to have imploded. Oh well, it is only a few weeks til americanized football season starts. Where did the summer go? I can hardly believe it's August already.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 9:15 am

bicentennialman wrote:
Baseball-- is awesome to see in person. Many of the ballparks are absolutely beautiful now (including PNC Park in Pittsburgh, which I think is the best, but I'm biased).

I totally agree, although I wish they would give the new stadiums real names instead of those silly sponsored names.

My favorite ballpark is AT&T Park in San Francisco. You can walk to the ballpark from downtown San Francisco and it's in such a lovely setting, once you're there you can almost forget about watching the game if you want .. lol. And it sure beats that horrid old Candlestick Park, even though I have many fond memories of going to games there with my father when I was a little girl.

I've also been to a number of games in Phoenix. The stadium is one of those retractable roof dome things. From the outside, it looks like some kind of big ugly warehouse, but inside it's absolutely lovely, and of course it's nice and cool inside. Had a funny incident there summer before last, when I was featured on the stadium's "Kiss Cam" with the young man who happened to be sitting next to me. But ... umm ... that's another story ..

I've never been to an NFL game, but have seen a few college football games. I have to say I didn't like it much ... too many beer-guzzling rowdies.

I like going to NBA games, but I agree with your comment about ill-mannered fans. I really dislike it when people cheer because a player from the other team gets hurt, for instance. That's so low class.

RenegadeRaven
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2011, 9:49 pm

NFL: Baltimore Ravens though most of my parents and extended family are Eagles fans since they grew up somewhere near Philly. My family moved from Pennsylvania when I was young and even know my father tried to "convert" me, his efforts were futile. Slowly, I started watching the Ravens, around the time they slaughtered the Giants in the SB and I stuck with them ever since.

I am not surprised to find several Steeler fans on this site. They are everywhere...