Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How good are you on the computer when it comes to problem solving?
Poll ended at 17 Jul 2004, 2:05 pm
Expert-I've solved many problems 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Expert-I've solved many problems 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Intermediate-Some problems 25%  25%  [ 7 ]
Intermediate-Some problems 25%  25%  [ 7 ]
Begnner-No problems 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Begnner-No problems 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 28

UltimApe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Nov 2004, 9:22 am

Macs + Games = :cry:

Windows + Games = :D

So, I can fix windows, if only to play mah games.

The way I see it, Linux is becoming more and more a viable gaming machine, where as macs don't really have much along those lines, and their future in that area isn't really bright.

tetragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2004, 7:54 am

followMe wrote:
don't you have to know a lot of commnds to use linux?

Not necessarily. It all depends upon what the user wants to use their computer for, who admins it, and how the system is set up. If someone else is the admin, and has taken care in configuring some pointy-clicky environment like KDE or GNOME, and all that you want to do is email, web browsing, and word processing, then all you really need to know is which icon to click. If you admin your own machine, use a not very pointy-clicky distro, and set up a server or dev machine, then you need to know a few more commands.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2004, 1:00 pm

I can fix most any windows ME and earlier errors for software problems that i have run acrossed (its simple really, look the error up on the net and try the fix's one at a time) i had gotten REALLY good at this to where i don't need to hunt many of the more common errors any more off the net, my problems starts when i get hardware errors from having bad hardware (it drives me nuts), i find i really enjoy banging my head over fixing software errors (not literally but i feel like it sometimes) and cant seem to walk away from a computer till i get it fixed, and its a damn good feeling when i fix one, my neighbors had many times asked me to fix their computers for them until i said no more over worry of being blamed for something going wrong or bad that was not my falt. i had gotten started on working on computers and fixing them really good when me and my ex-wife ran a couple servers, one windows and one red-hat. my job was to keep them all running smoothly and keep them upgraded.

Tim

ub3r
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2004, 3:14 pm

Yeah, I'm into computers too, known to be a computer guy, people call for help, or to ask questions, I used to work in building computers and fixing problems several years ago.

I use Linux too, I prefer to have full control when it comes to my own machines, I can customize everything and tell exactly what's going on.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2004, 3:49 pm

i know how to pick up a phone/type an email to get help...

Minus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2005, 2:50 pm

I know how to fix (and use) computers.

Last edited by Minus on 22 Oct 2005, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2005, 4:03 pm

I am pretty good with computers, I build my own and diagnose and repair all my own stuff. There really hasn't been a problem that a well worded google search won't fix.

I also build and fix computers for friends and family. I've built around 20 machines... so I know my way around the computer.

But I wouldn't call myself an expert. My computer skills are purely amateur, I haven't taken any classes or certifications. And more complex stuff like servers and business networks are beyond me... but I am sure I could figure it out if I read some books.

I am a bit obsesive when it comes to finding out about hardware sometimes, I can research computer parts for days. Figuring out which parts are the best for the money, it really helps when my friends want me to build them a computer. Give me any price range and features and I can find the best parts for that system. Sometimes I'll research hardware just for the fun of it... though I haven't done that in a while.

I haven't played around with linux yet, I have spare computer parts around here maybe I should salvage a system and give it a shot.... hmmm.