Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheNewTeddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2011, 2:42 am

I tried doing some research on Politicians that have Autism, and of course, could not find any. I also had trouble finding many politicians that were seen as standing up for the Autistic community.

I'm curious what other people's response would be to an idea to create an "Autistic Party" and to run a few candidates in elections to show the NT's that we are here and we mean business!

Note that this would work better in places where a Parliamentary system is used like the UK, Canada, Australia, NZ, etc, as the US party system would not be helpful for this.

The Party Name, in each country, should be ASPI or the Autism Spectrum Party International, pronounced Aspie of course.

TheNewTeddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2011, 3:17 am

In Canada, according to Elections Canada; You need 250 members; an Agent, an Auditor, and 3 other "officers" - IE Party President, Secretary, Treasurer; A Leader; and a signed form from the Leader saying that all of the above are in place and the party is ready to go.

Getting a Federal party is easy compared to some provinces, plus once you start networking, it becomes easier to get the requirements in place for creating Provincial wings.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 3:39 am

In the Police States of America, there are many small political parties, but they have essentially no voice or power due to the fact that the rules are bend to favor the corrupt Republicratic party. I consider the two political parties here essentially one party due to the fact it is either for big government or big business. Each controls the other and the common people are left out of the process.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 10:47 am

cyberscan wrote:
In the Police States of America, there are many small political parties, but they have essentially no voice or power due to the fact that the rules are bend to favor the corrupt Republicratic party. I consider the two political parties here essentially one party due to the fact it is either for big government or big business. Each controls the other and the common people are left out of the process.

Yeah pretty much.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 11:16 am

There are party's inside of party's seems to be how it works simply because of the popularity of the two major party's.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 6:15 pm

I am not a Libertarian but nevertheless I think the Libertarian party exerts an enormous influence over politics even though they do not directly elect any of their politicians in office.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 7:08 pm

I doubt you could get enough people on the spectrum to agree on a platform.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

TheNewTeddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Aug 2011, 9:39 pm

John_Browning wrote:
I doubt you could get enough people on the spectrum to agree on a platform.

We'd start off single-issue.

On the big issues like Aspergers VS No-Aspergers, or, Cure it VS Keep it, we'd be neutral; but on political issues we'd start off advocating better Treatment of people with Autism, and move on from there. Some things naturally flow from that. Opposing abortions when parents find out that the kid might have Autism for example, or increasing government funding to help those that don't have "serious" enough problems to qualify under current programs. Those issues are on opposite ends of the political spectrum but fit well in a Pro-Autism party. Nor do these policies mean we have to oppose all abortions, or demand higher taxes.

Green Parties around the world started single-issue and look at them now. You have some very left Green parties in places like Germany, more "middle-left" parties in places like the UK and Australia, and here in Canada, the Greens are sometimes thought of as right-of-centre. Each national party would grown on it's own.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 5:25 pm

TheNewTeddy wrote:
I tried doing some research on Politicians that have Autism, and of course, could not find any. I also had trouble finding many politicians that were seen as standing up for the Autistic community.

I'm curious what other people's response would be to an idea to create an "Autistic Party" and to run a few candidates in elections to show the NT's that we are here and we mean business!

Note that this would work better in places where a Parliamentary system is used like the UK, Canada, Australia, NZ, etc, as the US party system would not be helpful for this.

The Party Name, in each country, should be ASPI or the Autism Spectrum Party International, pronounced Aspie of course.

...is this a joke?

AlanTuring
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2011, 6:59 pm

We would never agree on a platform, nor should we.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 7:01 pm

Do enough people with AS and Autism have simular political veiws to create a political party.

In my opinion a political party that only addresses the fact that some citizens have AS and Autism and that is it would not really help things a whole lot.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 7:04 pm

cyberscan wrote:

Actually they are both for big buisness....name one thing the Democratic party did that opposes big buisness and helps the citizens of this country.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 10:01 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Do enough people with AS and Autism have simular political veiws to create a political party.

In my opinion a political party that only addresses the fact that some citizens have AS and Autism and that is it would not really help things a whole lot.

Agreed.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 6:08 pm

A national Autist party could hope to gain, perhaps, a fraction of a percent of the votes - enough to elect a single MP, yes, but not when your support is distributed widely and you have a none-PR system. Regionally, however, it might work if you could get the concentration of voters. Say, town level, if Autists were ever to get enough of us in one place. Which is, actually, quite plausible... a small town with a population in the low hundreds could be dominated by Autists quite easily. I'm not sure they'd be able to be much use, though - in America, perhaps, where town councils have more power, but not here.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 6:35 pm

No. There would be very little point whatsoever. It would be like setting up a Blue-Eyed Party - autistics have wildly different political positions, needs, and perspectives on life. Hell, the Legalise Cannabis parties can't even get anywhere in the vast majority of jurisdictions, so where do you think that might leave us?!

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 4:32 am

Magneto wrote:
A national Autist party could hope to gain, perhaps, a fraction of a percent of the votes - enough to elect a single MP, yes, but not when your support is distributed widely and you have a none-PR system. Regionally, however, it might work if you could get the concentration of voters. Say, town level, if Autists were ever to get enough of us in one place. Which is, actually, quite plausible... a small town with a population in the low hundreds could be dominated by Autists quite easily. I'm not sure they'd be able to be much use, though - in America, perhaps, where town councils have more power, but not here.

Do you have any idea what a large concentration of ASD individuals moving into one town would to traffic tickets and accidents, local ISP server and cell phone connection speeds, and mental health related calls to the police and ER visits? :lol:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud