If it turned out your partner was transsexual...

Page 12 of 14 [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 11:02 am

rlb wrote:
scubasteve wrote:
rib, I did not mean that as a general statement. I meant only that i personally would lose attraction because they fall outside of my sexual orientation.

OK. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

What I don't understand though, and perhaps someone can explain this to me, is why should sleeping with specifically a post-op m2f transsexual (not a pre-op, not a genderqueer or anyone else on the TG spectrum), who has all the right girlie bits in all the right places, make you feel as though that changes (or questions, or raises doubts about) your sexual orientation? :?

I dont think it would really even matter which bits I saw. It doesnt matter for me if the person is male, or mtf, or ftm - Any association with male gender just triggers that subconcious response. The point I was trying to make before is that whether I found out right away or months later, either way, it could never work. But there are certainly some for whom it would not be a problem. Laying the cards right out on the table and choosing those guys instead would probably be better for all involved, compared to someone "finding out" later.

rlb
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Aug 2011, 11:39 am

scubasteve wrote:
I dont think it would really even matter which bits I saw. It doesnt matter for me if the person is male, or mtf, or ftm - Any association with male gender just triggers that subconcious response. The point I was trying to make before is that whether I found out right away or months later, either way, it could never work. But there are certainly some for whom it would not be a problem. Laying the cards right out on the table and choosing those guys instead would probably be better for all involved, compared to someone "finding out" later.

OK so what you are saying is that it's not the physical that is a problem. The problem lies in someone having a DSM-IV listed condition for which they have been successfully treated. How would you feel if someone said to you that they could never enter into a relationship with you because they were repelled by the idea of you having A.S.? That would hurt, right? Prejudice is prejudice whichever way you look at it.

lilypadfad
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2011, 11:40 am

Quote:
Being trans is no more of an anomaly than being Aspies, ASD, bi-polar etc etc. It's just the way it is for the individual concerned. At some level everyone is a genetic anomaly.

Indeed poor choice of word, it was mainly to get a rise out of Tuttle teehee. I'm sure there is some politically correct term I can use, "Those of uncertain gender" or something.

Quote:
What I don't understand though, and perhaps someone can explain this to me, is why should sleeping with specifically a post-op m2f transsexual (not a pre-op, not a genderqueer or anyone else on the TG spectrum), who has all the right girlie bits in all the right places, make you feel as though that changes (or questions, or raises doubts about) your sexual orientation?

I found a blogpost on google on this topic as a whole, not much in there that hasn't already been stated in this thread and despite contradicting himself in an effort to appease both parties it's still a good post. He touches on the questions of sexuality in the last paragraph. Again it all boils down to the same issue, how the two parties view gender.
http://celticchimp.blogspot.com/2011/05/transexuals-and-disclosure.html

Quote:
And suddenly back to square one :mad: You make it sound as though trans peeps wake up one day and think "Hey! Let's undergo major surgery for the hell of it". It doesn't work like that. It is a life-long battle. Surgery is the result of absolutely not being able to accept yourself. It takes many, many years, a lot of therapy and counselling, the risk of losing your friends, family, career to make that sort of decision. Ultimately, though, there is no choice. There is no decision to be made. Surgery is the only answer.

*innocent look* Perhaps I have failed to express my thoughts properly. Or maybe I am projecting from a male view point. My logic is as follows:

[1] (This is bound to be disputed) My masculinity and maleness is defined largely by my interactions with women - being desired by them and (oh the burdens of masculinity!) being useful to them. So my (perhaps flawed) projection is that a woman's femininity and femaleness would be defined by her interactions with men and importantly being desired by them.
[2] (Lets assume) For whatever reason the majority of straight men cannot feel desire for a transwoman knowing their biological history.
[3] (This one isn't nice and a bit of a headscratcher) The main reason a transwoman is not a woman is because most straight men do not accept them as such.
[4] This means surgical gender reassignment does not change ones gender and is therefore an exercise in futility.

I am sympathetic to the toils and troubles of being someone with gender dysphoria, but from my perspective surgery is not really an answer at all.

As an aside I had a conversation about this topic with a (straight male) acquaintance of mine today. He too was averse to the idea of sleeping with a transwoman, although he couldn't deconstruct exactly why, as I have tried to here. The conversation drifted to gay people. He put on a little play for my benefit.

Gay man coming out: "Hello world! I was born different! I AM GAY! Accept me as I am!

World: "ok"

-----Intermission-----

Transwoman: "Hello world! I was born different! I am a transwoman! Accept me as a woman!"

Skeptical male: "hold on you're not really a w-"

Transwoman: "You shut up!" :evil:

rlb
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Aug 2011, 11:49 am

lilypadfad wrote:
[1] (This is bound to be disputed) My masculinity and maleness is defined largely by my interactions with women - being desired by them and (oh the burdens of masculinity!) being useful to them. So my (perhaps flawed) projection is that a woman's femininity and femaleness would be defined by her interactions with men and importantly being desired by them.
[2] (Lets assume) For whatever reason the majority of straight men cannot feel desire for a transwoman knowing their biological history.
[3] (This one isn't nice and a bit of a headscratcher) The main reason a transwoman is not a woman is because most straight men do not accept them as such.
[4] This means surgical gender reassignment does not change ones gender and is therefore an exercise in futility.

Wow!

Just "Wow!"...

I don't really think I have anything to say...

*Speechless*

Err.... would someone else care to have a go while I go and have a quiet meltdown somewhere?

EDIT: if you ignore the undermining of every feminist principle for the last 100 years in the above, all of it is predicated on the assumption that transwomen are, in some way, identifiable. I've worked in highly public jobs where even the hint of my past could have caused problems and no-one has ever batted an eyelid at me. I accept that I'm lucky, but by your logic: I interact the same with men as any other straight women (with aspies) (so I tick box 1); you don't know my gender history unless I choose to disclose it (so I tick box 2); since you cant identify me as being trans, there is no issue of acceptance (so I tick box 3); point 4 is a deductive statement based on the 3 prior points and, therefore, fails. Thus, by your own logic, in what way am I not female?

Last edited by rlb on 12 Aug 2011, 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lilypadfad
Toucan
Toucan

12 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm

Hey my understanding of gender is no stranger than your "you are who you think you are" philosophy.

rlb
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Aug 2011, 12:11 pm

please read the edit in my last answer to you

Noop
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Aug 2011, 1:59 pm

Quote:
[1] (This is bound to be disputed)

You're right.

Quote:
My masculinity and maleness is defined largely by my interactions with women - being desired by them and (oh the burdens of masculinity!) being useful to them.

So if a man does not interact with women, or perhaps anyone in a romantic sense, they are not male or masculine?

Quote:
So my (perhaps flawed) projection is that a woman's femininity and femaleness would be defined by her interactions with men and importantly being desired by them.

It is flawed. See above for why this is so.

Quote:

So straight men get say over what is true and what is not? So we should have a heterocentric patriarchal society again?

Quote:

Surgery is meant to alter one's sex characteristics, not their gender. Their gender is what causes the misalignment in the first place.

Quote:
Gay man coming out: "Hello world! I was born different! I AM GAY! Accept me as I am!

World: "ok"

-----Intermission-----

Transwoman: "Hello world! I was born different! I am a transwoman! Accept me as a woman!"

Skeptical male: "hold on you're not really a w-"

Transwoman: "You shut up!" :evil:

Go back further in history and you'll see it probably played out like this:

Gay man coming out: 'Hello world! I was born different! I AM GAY! Accept me as I am!

World: 'No you aren't. You're pretending to be gay to try and rebel against society.'

Gay man: 'No, I'm gay. I love men.'

World: 'No you don't. For rebelling against nature, we'll treat you like a second-class citizen.'

-Intermission-

Transwoman: 'Hello world! I was born different! I am a transwoman! Accept me as a woman!'

Skeptical male: 'No you aren't. You're actually a man.'

Transwoman: 'I was born male, but I feel wrong in this body and feel better as a woman.'

Skeptical male: 'Well, you might feel better, but no one will go out with you now because you're a freak.'

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 2:22 pm

transsexuality implies that it's a serious part of their identity and past, enough so to identify with it and undergo a sex change. i wouldn't react kindly if someone were to hide this from me.

Noop
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Aug 2011, 2:34 pm

buryuntime wrote:
transsexuality implies that it's a serious part of their identity and past, enough so to identify with it and undergo a sex change. i wouldn't react kindly if someone were to hide this from me.

I think you're missing the point. Most transsexuals don't want to be associated with their past, which is why they transitioned in the first place.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

Noop wrote:
buryuntime wrote:

I think you're missing the point. Most transsexuals don't want to be associated with their past, which is why they transitioned in the first place.

why would I want a partner I knew nothing about? that's my point.

Noop
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Aug 2011, 2:44 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Noop wrote:
buryuntime wrote:

why would I want a partner I knew nothing about? that's my point.

They would probably tell you a lot about themselves if you were close, but they may not refer to their birth sex, much like someone born with a facial deformity may not refer to that.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 3:40 pm

lilypadfad wrote:
So my (perhaps flawed) projection is that a woman's femininity and femaleness would be defined by her interactions with men and importantly being desired by them.

That is incredibly flawed even for me and I'm a ciswoman who isn't a lesbian.
1. I'm female. I'm not feminine. I don't want to be feminine.
2. My femaleness is not at all defined with interactions with men, its defined if anything to do with others by my mothering nature.
3. It's common for females to not want to be desired by men, even when they're straight. At least I've read stuff that says that - whether or not something is in a relationship.
4. I feel any identity based off of interactions with others is incredibly flawed. If you lock me in a room without any other people I'm still female.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 3:42 pm

lilypadfad wrote:
Hey my understanding of gender is no stranger than your "you are who you think you are" philosophy.

So is someone with XY chromosomes but born with a female body male or female?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 3:44 pm

Noop wrote:
buryuntime wrote:

And someone who's been raped doesn't want to associate with the past. But the fact that someone has been raped, or that someone has gone through transitioning, is still relevant to who they are now.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

Quote:
They would probably tell you a lot about themselves if you were close, but they may not refer to their birth sex, much like someone born with a facial deformity may not refer to that.

gender and sex is a HUGE thing in society. it's part of someone's identity. on the inside and out and how people treat you. it isn't a huge deal for everyone, like me, but it would be a big deal for someone who underwent a sex change, or they wouldn't have done so in the first place. someone neglecting to tell me something like that would indicate lack of intimacy or closeness. unless this topic is purely about hook-ups or casual sex, in which case my posts are a bit more irrelevant.

Noop
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Aug 2011, 6:10 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Noop wrote:
buryuntime wrote:

And someone who's been raped doesn't want to associate with the past. But the fact that someone has been raped, or that someone has gone through transitioning, is still relevant to who they are now.

So therefore you have a right to know about it...?