Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 1:09 am

Currently Bass, Keyboard and Baritone Ukukele, but I can play a lot more.

I chose to be a multi-instrumentalist because there are so many different instruments I want to play that I simply cannot choose one.

The only instrument I play the best though is bass. I started out on bass.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2011, 3:16 am

I started out playing the piano, did the whole classical piano thing and that really turned me off the instrument. I still play the piano from time to time but I find it pretty stressful, because when I was playing it seriously, all my teacher ever did was make me do exams. I remember doing 3 exams [two practical, one theory] in one year, and I was around 9 or 10 years old...so I wasn't really given the opportunity to enjoy the instrument. Maybe one day I'll find someone to teach me jazz piano, because I've been digging the grooves of the Dave Brubeck Quartet.

My main instrument at the moment is the guitar. I've got quite a few guitars lying around the house. I also play bass and I have my eye set on a new bass guitar and amp once I start getting a viable income. Finally, I like to bash my drum kit now and again.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

SilverShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2011, 4:02 am

I sing and play the piano, baritone horn, electric bass, upright bass, and snare drum/marimbas/other percussion instruments. I have previously studied (but am not very good at) the tuba, cello, violin, and the trombone. I am about to start learning the bassoon!

I don't know why I feel that that isn't a lot of instruments by looking at the list, because most people only learn one or two. And even though my dream job/greatest desire/ultimate goal in life is to be a composer, it isn't really one of my special interests.

Funny how my musical studies can be interrupted by buttons, of all things.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 4:39 am

SmallFruitSong wrote:
I started out playing the piano, did the whole classical piano thing and that really turned me off the instrument. I still play the piano from time to time but I find it pretty stressful, because when I was playing it seriously, all my teacher ever did was make me do exams. I remember doing 3 exams [two practical, one theory] in one year, and I was around 9 or 10 years old...so I wasn't really given the opportunity to enjoy the instrument. Maybe one day I'll find someone to teach me jazz piano, because I've been digging the grooves of the Dave Brubeck Quartet.

My piano is exclusively self-taught (after being helped by a good friend for the first few months). It makes everything a lot more relaxed.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 5:19 am

i play the euphonium in an orchestral setting, which i rolled into via my dad (i sat next to him in orchestra for years too).
with the euphonium, i automatically am able to play the trumpet, bugle, tuba and trombone (though the last requires some thinking, due to the slide).

i'm also quite decent on the piano, but only with one hand, i cannot set up a chord while playing...
plus, i can sing pretty well, but i dont really like my voice for that, so i rarely do that, and sometimes, at my house's campfires, i am often tasked with playing the djembe, since i'm about the only one who can accuratly control the sound, and multitask talking during that.

the euphonium though, is my primary instrument, i have earned first chair in my orchestra.
also, i'm able to keep up with the music level (1st division, the highest attainable for non-professionals) with only minimal self-practice.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 6:23 am

Joe90 wrote:
Piano, but only one-handed. But I can play over 400 songs. I've been playing songs since I was 4. My mum used to teach me.

Then you should definitely get a Keytar, like the AX Synth. If you play with one hand only, you will just about love it right away..

I play the keys... can play lots of songs

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

No, but I wish I had. I've got a good ear, but I have little hands and shortish fingers, so struggle with reaching strings, keys, etc, so certain instruments are out. My 5yr old daughter has been talking about guitars for a few weeks and she bought her first one yesterday. Thankfully, she has her Daddy's long fingers as well as my good ear and rhythm. We've both decided to try to learn a bit as well, to help her (until she gets too good for us). Lessons will come later, once she's sure she loves it. I tried a C chord and couldn't physically get my fingers into the position, so I think I'm a lost for cause for actually playing a real tune.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2011, 2:07 pm

I'm a self-taught singer. I don't really want to take voice lessons because I feel a lot of voice teachers teach you a certain method of singing (i.e. classical) thats totally out of your league. I think the classical method of singing sounds very fake, IMO, plus you can't really sing popular music with a classically-trained voice, although there are exceptions to the rule. Besides, there are plenty of wonderful singers who never had any voice training...Eva Cassidy and Barbra Streisand come to mind.

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2011, 3:58 pm

I begin Piano(keyboard) 2 years ago

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 4:04 pm

Oh, and I'm picking up a ukulele soon. So psyched! :)

reddreadred
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Aug 2011, 8:05 pm

I play piano, guitar, and violin mainly, but since I'm lucky enough to be able to play by ear, any instrument (besides drums) has been easy for me to pick up. I have a trumpet also, but it's too loud without a mute for me to want to play it.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 8:13 pm

kittie wrote:

Baritone, tenor, concert or soprano size? :D

Soprano is standard.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 8:43 am

Jonsi wrote:

Soprano is standard.

Soprano. ^.^ It just sounds really pretty, and I'm hoping that learning it will help my guitar playing come more naturally.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 8:55 am

kittie wrote:

Nice; I think I'd like to learn that someday. I need to learn a stringed instrument (other than piano.) I like cello (and taught myself "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" in about 45 minutes), but I don't have one anymore because my brother lost interest ('twas his.) Bass guitar is awesome, too.

Noop
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Aug 2011, 9:16 am

I play:
-Clarinet (haven't played for a while though)
-Recorder
-Piano (haven't played for ages because we haven't got one :cry: )

I dabbled in:
-Saxophone
-Guitar
-Violin

I hope to get a cello once I can afford one. Also hoping to get a glockenspiel soon. :D

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 10:32 am

kittie wrote:
Jonsi wrote:

Soprano is standard.

Soprano. ^.^ It just sounds really pretty, and I'm hoping that learning it will help my guitar playing come more naturally.

Oh, you'll definitely get better. It's good especially for practicing jazz chords.

I have yet to get better from playing baritone ukulele though...