Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 12:58 pm

Hello, everyone. I wanted to ask how you were able to move out on your own and when you were able to live independently.

To be short, my father is making everyone miserable at my house. I think he is bipolar, but he always refused treatment. I feel the reason the fiance and her kids put up with my father is because I still live there during the summers. I am going into my junior year of college, but I want to move out for good this year and never come back. I want to move and and encourage the fiance to separate from my dad.

I have an apartment contract that is good for 10 months starting September. However, I am unsure where to go for the remaining two months until my senior year. Help?

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

When I was undergrad I lived at home since the university I was undergrad at was near where I live. But when I started graduate school I moved out, since the grad school was far from home. So I moved out at 21, which is when I started grad school. I finished grad school at 29 and now I am a postdoc, living in the dorm that the institute has.

I am not sure if this qualifies for "moving out", since I am going between renting rooms and living in a dorm, none of which can be viewed as "permanent places". I don't have a permanent place away from home as there is not enough money to buy one. So most likely I will have to return back home when/if I will be done with one of my postdocs without successfully finding next one.

K-R-X
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2011, 1:35 pm

The week I turned 18. I tried going back and staying with them for a couple weeks after that and never tried it again. It was horrible.

They helped me 'get on my feet' after the first couple of months. I was living out of my car because I decided apartments were a "waste of money".

Ah, memories.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 2:05 pm

I haven't. I've gone to live with my sister on five separate occasions, with the idea that I would get a job while living with her and either get my own place or live with her as a roommate, but it never worked out. I'm a train wreck with jobs.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 6:27 pm

I still live home and IDK when I`ll be ready to move out! I don`t see it right now. But I do help out around the house and do laundry and clean the kitchen so I`m not completely useless and I don`t ever wanna feel like that!

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 4:15 am

I moved out when I was 22. It was a very small apartment that included all utilities, so it was very easy to manage. Although I wasn't bad with money either. I miss those days. Now we have a house and it seems so much work.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 4:43 am

So I'm never in a rush

Twolf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2011, 3:20 pm

Basically, I was given an ultimatum to get out by 21 years of age. I was not ready, but I didn't have a choice. I left and found my own place to live. I struggled for many years to support myself. I'm still struggling to be honest.

bergie
Toucan
Toucan

06 Aug 2011, 9:07 am

When I was:
17 - off to college for the first time, dropped out after 1 semester and moved back home
18 - moved into a tiny studio apartment, got evicted 6-9 months later
19 - moved into an apartment with a friend, moved back home while going to poker dealing school
21 - got a decent job dealing poker and got my own apartment, moved back home when I was 25 after going back to school for a bachelor degree
25 - got my first programming job and moved out, lost this job when I was 27 and moved back home while unemployed
27 - moved out for (hopefully) the last time. I am now almost 31 and 2 years ago I bought a condo.

I had a few false starts (football metaphor) in life but am doing pretty well now.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 1:23 pm

Left at 17, to go as far away from parents as possible and still speak the language. found I couldn't afford an apartment. Bought a tent and a cook stove, moved to a campground near enough my work so I could walk to a bus stop. After a while I got sick of that and found I could rent a room in a house with roommates. They didn't bother me and I certainly didn't bother them. This turned out to be one of the best times of my life whereas at school I had to be social to get through classes which was much harder.
Good Luck to you.

InsomniacDreams
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2011, 5:17 pm

A combination of a need for personal survival and fear for it had me leaving at an early age, 14, pretty certain I posted about it here long ago under my old nick that I cannot recall..
Pretty much like these two.

Solvejg wrote:

mntn13 wrote:
.. Bought a tent and a cook stove, moved to a campground ...

If a person feels they need to get out of a 'living' situation, it is amazing what some can do when pushed past their limits. Nothing wrong with tenting/roughing it for a couple months or longer, if you really feel it would be best for you.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 10:51 pm

mntn13 wrote:
Bought a tent and a cook stove.

I know it is a bit off topic. But one good thing about the tent is that you can move wherever you want and you don't have to come back to any particular place. I think you should have taken full advantage of it and moved around, instead of staying on a campground. I sure would have moved around had I been forced to live in a tent. I am jealous :)

InsomniacDreams
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2011, 11:56 pm

Roman wrote:
...you can move wherever you want and you don't have to come back to any particular place. I think you should have taken full advantage of it and moved around, instead of staying on a campground. I sure would have moved around had I been forced to live in a tent. I am jealous :)

That is sort of what I did, but in off season I found 'abandoned' aka closed campgrounds where there was showers, some with actual hot-water and doors left unlocked. After a couple years of it, you might not have been to jealous.

SuperSimoholic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2011, 10:29 am

I'm trying to now... But the reality of it all is too much to handle.

The only reason I've not given up is because out future, my partner, depends on this move.
I want privacy but I'm not ready for independence - I'm not sure If I'll ever be ready...

I just want to crawl into bed, and wait for it all to be over :(

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 10:34 am

I moved out a week after graduating from high school.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 4:03 pm

At 17 I went off to college. I went back for summer after my freshman year, and then moved into an apartment as it was cheaper than the dorms (once you took into account food costs) the next summer and haven't gone back.