Why don't people take UFOs and ancient astronauts seriously?

Page 9 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 3:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
Joker wrote:
If aliens exsit then they do not care about our planet if they did we would have seem them by now

Maybe ... there are any number of opinions as to why this may be an invalid statement. HOWEVER, such opinions all fall back on the assumption that "they" are here, and there simply is no empirical evidence to support that assumption.

The idea is very intriguing.

BUT I would not want for them to come then it turns into war of the worlds.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:01 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
What is with all the necromancy lately? I already fought this battle and won. Instead of wasting my time repeating myself, just go and look at the earlier pages, where Fnord and I and probably a few others totally shot this ancient astronauts garbage down

I wouldn't discount the possiblity, but if there was anything they were truely interested in they would be hanging out here still.

I do think it is very likely that alien life exists. But the whole ancient astronauts theory is really [extremely] poor man's anthropology. There is nothing other than pure speculation and misinformed views to support the theory. Honestly I see it as a relic/analogous of the whole imperialistic viewpoint where European civilizations thought it impossible that the Mayan people could ever have built the megalithic structures in their ancient cities and thus there must have been white people who were responsible (mostly Mormons who seem to think this). Quite frankly it is insulting to human ingenuity. It makes about as much sense as claiming that because one is not aware of the engineering processes that went into, say, the Hoover Dam, it must have been built by aliens. It is projected ignorance, plain and simple

All I'm saying is that I'm not discounting the possibility, I honestly don't think ancient pyramids, cities, etc. were built by aliens. For one thing, if you build something like that you probably would have been inclined to stay.

EmiliaL
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Sep 2011, 5:21 pm

Philologos wrote:
If you are not into theism, then either there is or theree is not evidence of visits from offworlders. I personally have not seen nor heard tell of any data that are not at least as suspect as evidence of the "supernatural" is to the atheist. If more data comew in I will recompute.

If you are theist - I do not know of any major religious organization that would be tied into a knot by evidence of offworlders. For some there is a presumption of Terra as special, but it is not for any group I know of essential that we be alone.

I'm not really following what theism has to do with the question, most likely because I've been an atheist and a theist, and my views on "ancient astronauts" and UFOs haven't shifted.

Quote:
If, say, the Ezekiel 10 vision was some kind space or time transporter - a favorite with some streams of sci fi - that changes the essence of any of the Abrahamic religions no more than if Elijah producing fire in the contest with the prophets of Baal involved a clever substitution of something like naphtha for water.

Or perhaps the Norse Gods were really ancient aliens who visited here. Or maybe humans from the future. And Asatru is The One True Religion(tm). :lol: