Do you tolerate it to pay your bills? 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
Do you wish you could run away from your job daily? 33%  33%  [ 13 ]
Do you wish you could run away from your job daily? 33%  33%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 40

HDIGhere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Sep 2006, 12:22 am

After years of studying for it do you think it was worth it?

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 1:18 am

It has been for the past 25 years, but I think I've run my course.

I'm about ready to quit, even though I've no idea what else I'm good for, and even though it will mean a major drop in funds.

I'm planning (Ha!, I'm not in any shape to plan) to leave at Christmas
and take at least six month to get myself healthier, and my head in a better place. That's assuming I can hold things together till then.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 7:40 am

I love my job, but it took more than 40 years before I know what I wanted to do when I grew up.

- Emerson

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 9:12 am

job?!? what job?

the places I work are a mixture of both, this last being tolerated while very benificial

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2006, 9:42 am

I have had many jobs including some that were not fulfilling. I generally have always loved my work, even though I have changed interests at times. Usually when I have changed jobs, it's because of a personal conflict involving someone with authority over me. Each one of those is a long, sad story ... :)

I always told myself I would not do a job that I didn't enjoy, but I have also worked at a gas-n-go to make ends meet (meat?) and tried to make that a fun gig, too. The main thing you have to accept is you sometimes have to do things that you don't care about in order to keep going. Whether you keep afloat or not is actually at least as important as whether you are fulfilled spiritually and emotionally in your work.

Playing in a band for $60 a night or painting houses for $75 a day is a decision that would be easy for a single man, but with a wife and kids your happiness must come from somewhere other than your job, sometimes. You just have to deal with it. [/NT encouragement buzzwords]

05 Sep 2006, 1:49 am

I work because I want to. Without one, I'd be bored in my lifetime because I'd have too much time on my hands. Plus it be a leach to society not to get a job and keep taking advantage of SSI. I'm thinking about getting another one this fall because things are starting to slow down at work and I will not be working to overtime so I'm thinking of another job.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 5:33 pm

I like my job. In fact, I am getting a raise next month. I will be leaving that job in January so I can attend school full-time.

I work as a GIS Technician (mapmaker) for a city government. GIS stands for Geographic Information Systems. I am majoring in geology. Currently, geologists have starting salaries of $74,400 a year, and that's with only a bachelor's degree. Those with 25 years experience make $200,000 a year.

If the oil industry goes bust like it did in the mid 1980s, I would teach geology (or math or another science) at the high school level, or go back to mapmaking.

Tim

Dalebert
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Sep 2006, 10:18 pm

Work has always been difficult on and off as I seem to have focus issues. Lately those issues have made work unbearable and dropped my productivity to near zero. It's giving me self-esteem issues. I'm about to quit my job for about a year to write and consider other methods of making money. I make a lot of money as a software engineer but I'm just not sure I have it in me. However, if I have some kind of ADD, I may find medication will help with it.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 10:42 pm

I love my job.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 11:46 pm

I'm glad just to have a job, they are hard to find here.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2006, 10:09 pm

I often consider quitting my job and going back to full time study. I zone out a lot while I'm at work and find that I dont get a lot done.
I studied for two years to have the so-called accounting career I have now. It seems that a professional job is not for me anymore.
But what else to do ?!?!

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2006, 10:30 pm

While I was working this summer, I used my bimonthly paychecks to purchase some silver coins from LibertyDollar.org and my grandmother. This kind of saving up in the form of investment is what I want to do over the next several jobs I have while still in college, and in the one or two jobs I have after college. At some point I would like to have enough savings that I can "cash in" and move off to a large tract of land in, say, Idaho or Montana, and take up prospecting, inventing, and writing. I may have Asperger's or some other kind of syndrom but I want to make life a real adventure. I don't think it has to require knowledge of every single one of the NT encouragement buzzwords or staying in the ratrace so that one ends up a millionaire. It just has to require innovative and unique thinking and feeling about the things in the world. I could be at peace with only the arid wind and mesas around me, enclosed in a periwinkle hemisphere glazed with stratus clouds.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2006, 4:07 am

I've always found it really hard to maintain jobs, its hard to explain but one night I'm working away and am suddenly overwhelmed by thoughts in my head, it feels like its screaming at me (no not voices definately my conciousness) "YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS" "YOU CANT WORK IN THIS HORRIBLE PLACE" etc.

Some of us have to find a drive we're very passionate about, and apply that to a job, for example I'm working now in data entry, which is boring, but if the funds go towards getting my music label going, and ultimately letting me live off my music one day, its all worth it.

CDRhom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2006, 10:57 am

I did my first job for 22 years and when it became stale, went back to school, got a different job in a different field and I love it. I confess I'm planning on what I will major in 20 years from now for my next job.

:)

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2006, 1:12 pm

But... but... I *love* my job! All day long I take incoming faxes and postal mail (and e-mail, if the regular e-mail person is away or too busy), and do one of two things:
- Forward it to the appropriate department, if it's something for another department to take care of;
- Respond to it myself if it's something for our department to take care of.

(Eg, requests to move or cancel service go to the Processing Department; pre-authorized debit applications go to the Cashiers; questions like "Why is my bill so high", I answer myself.)

Dewclaw
Raven
Raven

12 Nov 2006, 3:23 pm

I don't have to imagine, I'm often unemployed. It really sucks, expecially when I have a lot to contribue Because I can't understand how to fit in with most other people, it makes it remarkably hard. People seem to place an extremely high value on interpersonal skills and manipulation rather than objective, qualified skills and straight forward, simple communication.