New Brain Imaging Research Shows Why Autistic Individuals...

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 11:02 pm

I remember that at least once I referred to something as "his" when I was supposed to use the word "my" when I was about 4 or 5 years old.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 9:38 pm

Chronos wrote:
eatingcereal wrote:

And you will not see this in people who have AS.

I'm diagnosed with AS and I reverse pronouns.

I also say "left" when I mean "right"; "up" when I mean "down"; "startup" when I mean "shutdown"; "count" instead of "can't"; "ply the drates" instead of "dry the plates"... I could go on forever.

It's pure word-retrieval problems in my case.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

andrew_w
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2011, 3:34 am

This confirms my hypothesis that atypical sense of self is an important factor involved in autism, and is probably a major cause of the social deficits seen in autistics. My own thinking style is definitely consistent with an atypical sense of self - I have a strong sense of self, but it is rather "abstract" and "disconnected" (my sense of self is largely realized through systemizing and intellect, and I usually use only third person pronouns internally, only using first person pronouns when speaking or thinking of what to say).

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 4:22 am

I still get personal pronouns muddled up.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 9:10 am

I'm "you" in my thoughts to direct my actions.

Strangely, I'm not usually aware of that I thought you to mean I in self-instructions.

AbleBaker
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2011, 9:31 am

purchase wrote:
Interesting.

Never had a problem with that (have AS, maybe only applies to those with classic autism?)

but avoid saying I/me/my like the devil.

For example: "The glasses are nowhere to be found" when I mean "I can't find my glasses."
Not quite as pronounced as you but I do have that tendency - "the" instead of "my".

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 10:03 am

Quote:
, so the autistic impairment affects not just language but social communication," Just added

So who decided this was an impairment exactly.

Iloveshoujoai
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2011, 11:05 am

Chronos wrote:
eatingcereal wrote:

And you will not see this in people who have AS.

Oh trust me. I had this problem well into elementary school. It's one of the few things I remember being duly noted in my diagnosis report from that time period.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 4:27 pm

Sora wrote:
I'm "you" in my thoughts to direct my actions.

Strangely, I'm not usually aware of that I thought you to mean I in self-instructions.

I always mutter to myself in the second person. It really seems to make the most sense. For the rest, I don't think I've ever had any problems with pronouns.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 5:37 pm

I'm curious whether this also has anything to do with people actually thinking about themselves in the third person rather than just talking in the third person. It seems like it might be.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 5:48 pm

I have never had that specific issue, but I sometimes have difficulties referring to others correctly........like I can't say peoples names unless I know them really well when talking to them. So sometimes I end up adressing no one in particular and hoping the get it was directed at them or I call them dude....if its an informal situation and no one really notices anything weird about that.

But yeah I had issues in class when I was a kid because I could not adress the teacher by Mrs./Mr whatever so I would end up just coming up to them after class and waited till they noticed I wanted to talk to them. So yes it is rather inconvieniant because sometimes people take it as rudeness.....and cannot comprehend how it could possibly be hard to refer to people by their names when talking to them.

shadowmage
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Aug 2011, 6:20 pm

That was a very interesting to read, thanks for sharing.