Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 4:31 pm

So, I've just moved to a new flat. And yesterday which was my second day in the flat, apparently there was an attempted break-in while I was out, as informed by my new next door neighbour.

That's a bit of a blow as I look to settle in to living in this flat, especially as I've moved from the last one which I've rented out because of the effect on my mental and physical state from persistent antisocial behaviour.

However, not that I don't believe my new neighbour implicitly, but another possibility has struck me. Is it common for new neighbours, when you move into a new home, to say such things as a prank, as some sort of initiation rite? Anyone else have similar stories? It's cynical of me to think this way, but given my typical experience with neighbours, would not be entirely a shock either.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

No, that's not a common thing for new neighbours to do...unless they're especially moronic neighbours.

If someone did attempt to break into your new place, sorry, obviously make sure you have everything you need to keep it secure both when you're not there and when you are there too, maybe try talking to other neighbours to see if break-ins are common in your area or mention to them that x neighbour said this to you and see if other neighbours just think he/she is serious or pranking you.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2011, 6:28 pm

When my place was broken into and robbed, there was a neighbor I'd barely met before wandering around in the alley right after I got home, telling some pointless rambling story about a guy pestering his wife and running away. Of course the police did nothing, but it was only several months later, after I'd moved to another place that I recalled a couple months before the break in, that same weird neighbor had come to my front door asking me about which gas meter went to his rental house and which to the duplex I was in, which should have been obvious to any idiot. After that, there were knocks on my door at all hours with no one there (apparently trying to figure out when I was home and when I wasn't). And on the day I was robbed, my dog just happened to be at the groomers instead of in the apartment. How did the thieves know to pick THAT day? It was only then I realized my neighbor was probably the one who robbed me. Be careful who you talk to and trust no one.

Mishmash
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Aug 2011, 10:13 am

If you are worried, I would suggest talking to your local police station/community support officers on the best way to secure your property and deter thieves; don't be scared that they are people in authority, they can be very helpful and give good advice. After all, it's their job to prevent crime happening as well investigate actual crimes that have happened.

I would also like to say that not all neighbours are weird and horrible.
I have a great neighbour who looks out for my cat (and I look out for hers) and we always discuss any suspicious behaviour (kids hanging about etc). I agree with the person who said to be careful who you trust, but this new neighbour could turn out to be an ally as opposed to someone you need to be wary and fearful of.
Keep your guard up but give them a chance, as I'm sure (if the tables were turned and you were only trying to be helpful to your new neighbour) you would appreciate. I'm not saying be their best friend and have them for dinner or anything, but it strikes me that if they were planning to rob you then they probably wouldn't have mentioned the attempted break-in?

Koan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2011, 11:30 am

It may not be a neighbor but anyone who noticed someone moving in. There are people who target this sort of thing, just like some look for houses to hit on major vacation days, just after gift-giving holidays, etc. It may be less common, but sadly it's nothing new.