Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tayribeiro
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Aug 2011, 11:32 pm

I know it is a science fiction, however if you adopt the many worlds interpretation using substantial data from the works of Hugg Everett III on the probability of the wave funtion. Particles occupy superposition states, in which they can have simultaneous up and down spins, or appear to be in different places at the same time.
An unobserved particles can only be described by wave functions, representing a set of multiple "probable" states. When an observer makes a measurement, the particle then settles down into one of these multiple options. So that is stated and perceived as our "reality"

pratchettfan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2011, 3:20 am

sterfry wrote:
I hope there are versions of all of you in other universes who actually read the OP. :P

:D

chrissyrun wrote:
Haha, I did read the OP...well read is the operative word...I skimmed.

More than I managed with the Bible. I think I saw the cover and thought, 'I'll pass'. :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 8:44 am

Tayribeiro wrote:
I know it is a science fiction, however if ...

That's a mighty big IF for anyone to swallow.

Why not just accept measurable reality, and forget the un-measurable fantasies?

Tayribeiro
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

[Error]

Last edited by Tayribeiro on 06 Aug 2011, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tayribeiro
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2011, 10:48 am

Fnord wrote:
Tayribeiro wrote:
I know it is a science fiction, however if ...

That's a mighty big IF for anyone to swallow.

Why not just accept measurable reality, and forget the un-measurable fantasies?

That was my opinion on your statement regarding "if you do know that is a show", and i do know,but i am not talking about whether the show is real or not, i am saying that there are many pathways to each particle in the universe and they all settles in one of these many paths, the other paths could be described as a parallel but measurable state, and as every particle display wave like properties, there is another place where there IS another you.There are a lot on substantial works regarding the Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum mechanics to support the Duality of wave-like particles and their states, i am not stating unmeasurable fantasies, otherwise i wouldn't work as an intern on an experimental physics lab, i am stating that the Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum mechanics provide enough experiments to support the wave-particle duality, proved by the double-slit experiment, and as particles do behave within wave and particle-like properties, you've got to get rid of the Classical theory to understand quantum mechanic superpositions, as you are implying the states of particles, and not macro objects such as a planet, as they display different entropies, we cannot measure the entropy of large system, however an experiment on the first quantum computer by Seth Lloyd proved that we can decrease entropy in small systems(if you put two photons, in one container and measure its spin, you can measure the other particle spin, as it is just an opposite spin, this way decreasing entropy), but the more complex the system, the bigger the entropy, but only by understanding the behavior of 2 single atoms in a quantum state let us measure it's wave like properties, and that is when things begin to get complicated, as small quantum processes begin to occur, when we try to measure a quark spin, we can notice that it takes more than just one spin at a time, more than just one state, and when an observation is made, the particle settles for one of these states, but we can make measurements on the spin as well, and we see that electron and other subatomic particles can be measured in more than one place at once, with high precision, this effect is seen with photons as well, as they are prone to Quantum Entanglement too, when you apply these well established concepts to macro object, all its particles are subject to the wave-duality, and each subatomic particles quarks settles at one spin while its state in opposite as well, if a quark is up, it is down at the same time, the same particle, however the quark settles for one state. When a measurement is made and it causes one member of such a pair to take on a definite value ( clockwise spin), the other member of this entangled pair will at any subsequent time be found to have taken the complementary value (e.g., counterclockwise spin). Thus, there is a correlation between the results of measurements performed on entangled pairs, and this occurs even though the entangled pair may have been separated by arbitrarily large distances, one particle may be at more than one place in the universe at a time, even if unobservable, we can measure it by analyzing the Superposition of the particle, thus proving that every particle in nature takes many paths.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 10:04 pm

tl;dr

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 10:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
tl;dr

Agreed!

Tayribeiro
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Aug 2011, 12:55 am

Fnord wrote:
tl;dr

Im sorry about the rant, if it is boring, is that i just can't help it... :(
But then again, i tried to summarize an explanation on how the universe works, can't get more summarized than that, i didn't even put some equations regarding the harmonic oscillator and the detection of these parallel fields.