Speech Therapy Services for High School Student

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

BrewersFan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Aug 2011, 8:25 pm

Hi everyone. I am new to the site, but I am in need of help. My son with Asperger's is about to be a senior in high school. His greatest need for help is with social skills and he needs speech therapist time, but the district is giving us virtually no time. I was wondering if anyone knows what is best practice in this regard for the high schools and whether anyone can help me to set a goal for his IEP which focuses on social skills.

THanks for any insights.

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2011, 8:36 pm

Hey i asked my mom about this and she said to go to millermoms website, shes not sure if its .net or .com, she said that she isnt quite sure but she went to this website before for questions on getting iep changes through the school and how to set goals, and she had a lot of help there.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 10:43 pm

I wish I could help; we're a few years behind you, so just aren't there yet. I will say that while my son made great progress with his elementary school speech therapy, in Middle School it started to become a struggle to keep it relevant. Great therapist in 8th grade who worked hard with us on that, but my son's observation is simple: what he wants to know most is the slang code the other kids use, and this simply isn't something an adult can help with. They aren't part of it, and they aren't tuned into it, so how can they teach it? And that, in a nutshell, is the conundrum.