What was your worst cooking disaster

Page 1 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2011, 9:31 pm

Weve all been there, your cooking up something to eat and it ends up being a disaster, I love baking things, cookies, pies, cakes etc, and ive never had any disasters while baking, but actual cooking tends to be a different story, I remeber when i was 12 yrs old i made myself pancakes for breakfast, and i was so excited cause i just started learning how to cook pancakes, First i went to open up the batter mix and the bag split open and all the flour was all over the floor and coated my entire body, then after i got a new box i tried making them. and next next thing i know i went to flip the stupid thing and i end up flipping it on to the ceiling, and the side that was uncooked was ofcourse the side that touched the ceiling :roll: , next thing i know theres a pancake stuck to my celing and it is not falling down either, so i had to get a chair to try and scrape it off but i ended up falling off of the chair, worst cooking day of my life, that or the time i was stimming while cooking using a pencil and i dropped it in the oven, yeah that wasnt good, i got it out but it was pretty much burnt to a crisp and i was so scared cause i thought it would catch on fire :!:

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 9:35 pm

Pancakes are my arch-nemesis as well...

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2011, 9:39 pm

Grisha wrote:
Pancakes are my arch-nemesis as well...

Finally someone else who hates making pancakes :D , everyone tells me, "oh Brad their so easy, my little brother or sister makes them for me all the time, or, seriously? pancakes was the first thing i learned how to cook and i never had a problem with them cause their so easy" Yet every time i make them they end up in the garbage from being burned, or on the ceiling lol

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 9:45 pm

Sorry, bradt, but I had a good laugh over your glued-to-the-celing pancake. It was very funny. My worst cooking disaster was that time I invited my sister and her husband over for dinner and decided to try a new recipe. It was salmon with a dill sauce. You cannot go wrong with salmon, right? Wrong. I still do not know how I managed, but the damn thing was almost unedible. I watched my sister and brother-in-law suffer trying to eat the fish, but I ended up asking them to stop and go out to get something else.

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 9:47 pm

Made a cake, the add water and oil type. Forgot the water. It obviously exploded all over the oven and I was never permitted back into that kitchen. :(

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2011, 9:51 pm

Ilka wrote:
Sorry, bradt, but I had a good laugh over your glued-to-the-celing pancake. It was very funny. My worst cooking disaster was that time I invited my sister and her husband over for dinner and decided to try a new recipe. It was salmon with a dill sauce. You cannot go wrong with salmon, right? Wrong. I still do not know how I managed, but the damn thing was almost unedible. I watched my sister and brother-in-law suffer trying to eat the fish, but I ended up asking them to stop and go out to get something else.

Its kool i was actually cracking up after i fell off the chair because i thought to myself this is something out of a national lampoon movie :D . Ive been there were the new recipe i tried out ended up being total disaster, i forget what it was exactly all i know is it almost made me barf from tasting it, when it was rated 5 stars! i wondered if the creator of the recipe just didnt rate it 5 stars a 100 times because it was awful :? . I love salmon so much and im surprised that it didnt turn out too well? cookings funny like that though ive noticed, always expect the unexpected :)

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2011, 9:54 pm

sagan wrote:
Made a cake, the add water and oil type. Forgot the water. It obviously exploded all over the oven and I was never permitted back into that kitchen. :(

it actually exploded, huh, i wouldnt think it would actually explode? sorry that it happened to you though :(, my mom also went burzurk when i was cooking and left the burner on after cooking, and yeah mom wasnt to happy about that

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 9:55 pm

Mine was ironically one of the easiest things in the world to make: pasta.

I was in 11th grade and it was the night before a meet....so I had to have pasta.
Unfortunately, my mind was distracted in other things.
It cooked for a few hours and then I finally noticed it when it was pitch black and layered on the bottom of the pan that it took 5 days of soaking and a ton of scrubbing to clean it off.....and there are still marks on that pan.

PAY ATTENTION TO THE COOKER!

But that's not as bad as my mom, she caught chips on fire one year in the oven.

I swear though, I'm not a horrible cook, my attention can just be divided sometimes. :roll:

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 9:58 pm

One time I tried making chocolate chip cookies on my own, and instead of using eggs, I used the eggs that come in a carton. I misread the measurements and used the equivalent of 8 eggs instead of 2, and they turned out like small cakes. :lol: They were still good though.

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2011, 9:59 pm

chrissyrun wrote:
Mine was ironically one of the easiest things in the world to make: pasta.

I was in 11th grade and it was the night before a meet....so I had to have pasta.
Unfortunately, my mind was distracted in other things.
It cooked for a few hours and then I finally noticed it when it was pitch black and layered on the bottom of the pan that it took 5 days of soaking and a ton of scrubbing to clean it off.....and there are still marks on that pan.

PAY ATTENTION TO THE COOKER!

But that's not as bad as my mom, she caught chips on fire one year in the oven.

I swear though, I'm not a horrible cook, my attention can just be divided sometimes. :roll:

Ohh thats bad, burned pastas horrible on pans i know ive also had that disaster where i cooked it in the oven too long, yeah i know what you mean, ive actually ended up stimming by flicking a pencil in front of my eye while cooking, and ended up dropping it in the oven, that was bad because i was worried if i didnt get it out quickly id end up having a miniature fire in my oven lol

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2011, 10:00 pm

dunbots wrote:
One time I tried making chocolate chip cookies on my own, and instead of using eggs, I used the eggs that come in a carton. I misread the measurements and used the equivalent of 8 eggs instead of 2, and they turned out like small cakes. :lol: They were still good though.

Cake like cookies actually do sound good :)

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 10:02 pm

Either...

1. Attempted to use the deep-fat-fryer when I was about nine years old (first time I'd done this, and only time I'll ever do this), it got too hot and caught alight, I forgot what to do so I chucked a jar of flour on top (thankfully the flour was normally locked away, but I had unscrewed the lock from the cupboard and left it open) - HUGE mess of fatty flour everywhere, flour all over me, kitchen full of smoke, and in the panic I had put the basket on the bench where it had blistered the bench-top and the pan itself on the floor where it melted the flooring. It ended-up being put in the back garden...where it then scorched the lawn. My mother was far from happy when she got home.

2. Recently boiled an egg, forgot about it (often happens if I attempt to cook anything late at night as I get too forgetful and/or hyper-focused on other things) until there was a sudden and very loud bang from the kitchen followed by a clash of the pan against the floor - it had boiled dry and the egg had exploded...black bits of egg all over the kitchen. There's still bits of egg in some places on the kitchen walls and ceiling...it will be getting redecorated soon though.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 10:11 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
Either...

1. Attempted to use the deep-fat-fryer when I was about nine years old (first time I'd done this, and only time I'll ever do this), it got too hot and caught alight, I forgot what to do so I chucked a jar of flour on top (thankfully the flour was normally locked away, but I had unscrewed the lock from the cupboard and left it open) - HUGE mess of fatty flour everywhere, flour all over me, kitchen full of smoke, and in the panic I had put the basket on the bench where it had blistered the bench-top and the pan itself on the floor where it melted the flooring. It ended-up being put in the back garden...where it then scorched the lawn. My mother was far from happy when she got home.

2. Recently boiled an egg, forgot about it (often happens if I attempt to cook anything late at night as I get too forgetful and/or hyper-focused on other things) until there was a sudden and very loud bang from the kitchen followed by a clash of the pan against the floor - it had boiled dry and the egg had exploded...black bits of egg all over the kitchen. There's still bits of egg in some places on the kitchen walls and ceiling...it will be getting redecorated soon though.

Ok, your's was the funniest....wait, it's boiling over, throw flour on it, ahhhh! :lol:

And the eggs, haha, if I were sitting with or near anyone atm I'd probably hit them if that happens...I hit when I'm scared. :lol: Anyways, that'd not be fun to have egg everywhere...gald I don't eat em.

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 10:15 pm

Bloodheart wrote:
Either...

That is why I do not cook. Death by exploding egg. (Ok, it probably would not kill you...)

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2011, 10:23 pm

Just writing this so my number of replies isnt 13 anymore lol, sorry im very superstitious when oit comes to this number

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 10:29 pm

Well, lets see.
I once tried to make brownies and got the proportions of oil and watter mixed up.
Last time i tried to make grits it ended up tasting like uncooked green tomatoes (still haven't figured that one out).