Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

06 Aug 2011, 1:02 am

check it out!! ! I found this while looking for the traits of female aspergers

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/asp ... it-matters

Female aspergers traits is indeed different than male's because Hans Asperger studied only males (he did not think that females had it too) therefore the female aspect was never studied untill recently. Most AS girls if diagnosed with anything are misdiagnosed with bipolar before stumbling upon AS.

anyway I got the book, new, on amazon for 11.77 plus 3.00 shipping.

Jojo

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 1:18 am

Score! I need to get it.

to his Interest."

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

06 Aug 2011, 2:21 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Score! I need to get it.

I read in one of your other posts that you had anorexia at one time (btw, you can have it at any weight, if you gone long enough without eating) Anyway the point is that she discusses that female aspies are more suceptible to getting anorexic than female NT, as much as 20-30 percent of anorexic females have ASD's. I had anorexia at one time myself. I had a hard time forgiving myself because of it, now I undertsand that it is because of AS. So I can let it go now.

I ordered the book too.

Jojo

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 7:17 am

thanks for posting and the link too. this'll be my next book. have you read it yet?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 1:20 pm

I've read this book. I found it entirely worth getting. I could relate a whole lot more to this description of aspies in school than the ones I was reading in the generic - male-centric - books.

She's also a good speaker. I saw her speak last month :)

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 8:28 pm

Tuttle wrote:
I've read this book. I found it entirely worth getting. I could relate a whole lot more to this description of aspies in school than the ones I was reading in the generic - male-centric - books.

She's also a good speaker. I saw her speak last month :)

Thanks for the review! I havent read it, but it is on the way. :D

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 12:41 am

jojobean wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Score! I need to get it.

I read in one of your other posts that you had anorexia at one time (btw, you can have it at any weight, if you gone long enough without eating) Anyway the point is that she discusses that female aspies are more suceptible to getting anorexic than female NT, as much as 20-30 percent of anorexic females have ASD's. I had anorexia at one time myself. I had a hard time forgiving myself because of it, now I undertsand that it is because of AS. So I can let it go now.

I ordered the book too.

Jojo

Yeah. I've been doing better (or worse, depending) with eating. Today I went out with family and bf and had three breadsticks- this after several months of eating every day, sometimes more than once. I've been having mini panic attacks about how fat I'm going to get and what a pig I am. :? 8O

to his Interest."

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2011, 1:12 am

I ordered this book and look forward to reading it! :)

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2011, 6:20 am

Thanks for sharing! I am keen on getting this book too!

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 10:16 am

jojobean wrote:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/aspergirls/201010/female-asperger-syndrome-how-it-is-different-and-why-it-matters

I love her blogs. Thanks for the heads-up about her book :)

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 6:09 pm

Thanks for brining this up. I had not heard of it and I am ordering it today...very excited. I've spent the afternoon reading about it. :D

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 7:14 pm

While I haven't read the book yet, I printed out the PT article for the doctor who is currently testing me for AS. Great article, thank you!

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2011, 7:29 pm

I finished it today. It was really good.

16 Aug 2011, 8:56 pm

jojobean wrote:
check it out!! ! I found this while looking for the traits of female aspergers

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/asp ... it-matters

Female aspergers traits is indeed different than male's because Hans Asperger studied only males (he did not think that females had it too) therefore the female aspect was never studied untill recently. Most AS girls if diagnosed with anything are misdiagnosed with bipolar before stumbling upon AS.

anyway I got the book, new, on amazon for 11.77 plus 3.00 shipping.

Jojo

Damnit! It's about time they make a book on asperger syndrome exclusively for us Menz with it.

I clicked on the link and about this little tidbit:

Quote:
People on the autism spectrum don't have a real strong sense of gender, or see the necessity of gender roles. We think of ourselves as people first. However, society does differentiate; there are different expectations and perceptions of females.

:lmao:

I couldn't disagree more. I am an Aspie with a capital A and I've always had a very strong sense of gender and of being male. I tend to look upon aspie women as women first and aspies second until I get to know them further. What I've observed for half my life is that NT women really expect men to be socially tactful and strongly favor men with good socials skills. If a woman is physically attractive and takes care of her appearance, it doesn't matter to most people how messed up she is mentally.

ZaannV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2011, 3:47 pm

oo ah i get hairy shivers at the thought of a book :? :cry:

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 7:09 pm

I need to get this book :D