Rethinking Autism: a new website about Autism acceptance

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Tokiodarling21
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2011, 1:24 am

Rethinking Autism Homepage

So I saw the below video on youtube one day and learned about a group called Rethinking Autism, they are a group who wants to change the way the world looks at Autism. they say that "all too often, celebrity and sex appeal are used to promote pseudoscience and personal agendas." This exploits the autistic community and their families as well as the general public. In their line of work, Rethinking Autism is using those same methods to educate people about what really matters.
In the below video you'll see down here, there is a support group for parents who have autistic kids and they're saying all the negitive stuff that happens in their lives outside the support group (example: One dad says "He threw a fit and started screaming in the barber shop. It was so embarrassing.")
Meanwhile there is a woman sitting in the circle with these parents asking questions like "Why did you let the barber touch him without asking?" we learn later she's autistic. She represents that voice of autism that often gets ignored by media and parents who have tried everything to treat their autistic child (hense one mom saying "So we're thinking about chelation...you can get it in Mexico kind of cheap.")
I think that what these people are doing is awesome!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWnDPpfpLmM&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 4:03 am

Quote:
Meanwhile there is a woman sitting in the circle with these parents asking questions like "Why did you let the barber touch him without asking?" we learn later she's autistic.

Way to go girl!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 4:11 am

While I think the video touches on many valid points, I think it overlooks many of the issues those with children on the lower functioning end of the spectrum struggle with.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 12:02 pm

Ehh. The video was great. Further investigation and they get into the abortion issue and are essencially asking for services funding. Calling on society to stop trying to prevent people like me from existing and instead help with quality of life. This is very politically inappropriate and is actually a major risk to relationship in politics that would or do support quality of life anyways because of how inappropriate it is. The poor political tact creates hard feelings and makes people feel they are being suckered into dishing out tax-payer money as a guilt trip when applicable

For this reason I do not support the organization but can say I really think some of the other perspectives are very good and creative.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com