how do i convince husband to let me work?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MollyTroubletail
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 6:41 am

I have to agree with SmallFruitSong,

You are in a domestic abuse relationship. The fact that others treated you even worse doesn't diminish the fact that your husband is abusive towards you now. It really sounds like you've never had a non-abusive relationship in your life, and may not even realize that your situation isn't normal because you have no basis for comparison, being as isolated as you are.

Threatening the welfare of pets (or threatening anything whatsoever) if you leave the house, get a part-time job, or even go see your grandma is FAR from ordinary and respectful behavior of a husband towards his wife.

It is one thing to be controlling for your own good, for example urging you to keep your doctors appointments and making sure you take your meds.

It is quite another thing to keep you helpless and completely dependent, without a cent in your pocket, and not even allowed to leave your home! Exactly how is that supposed to protect you or be for your own good? And exactly how is it for your own good not to be able to see your 95 year old grandma?

Please try to wake up to reality and at the very least, Google "signs of domestic abuse" and read the articles on abusive relationships, since you obviously do have access at least to the internet, if not to the outside world. And if you don't believe what we're all telling you here, then go post your situation on any other forum and you'll see that everyone else will tell you he is abusing you, too.

As a parting bit of bad news, domestic abusers tend to get worse, meaner, more irrational, and more controlling over time. You said he's been worse the last while than before. You should expect his worsening behavior to continue indefinitely. He may eventually begin to physically shove, hit, choke, or grab you. He may eventually escalate his threats against your pets and anything else that you value.

Do you believe that if you comply with his increasingly insane rules he'll not be angry at you, and will treat you better? No. Please wake up and see reality. No matter how meek and obedient you are, and no matter if you never even say a single word again except "yes Sir", and no matter if you even become a robot that does everything he says exactly how and when he says it, his angry and irrational treatment will continue and gradually get worse and worse.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 2:09 pm

I would suggest reading about abusive relationships as well - the best list of symptoms I've found is http://www.abusivelove.com/AbusiveLove_4_00.htm