Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

06 Aug 2011, 7:52 pm

When I see a character dancing like Harui Suzumiya on that one show (The Melancholy of...), there's something so attractive about it, and watching females dancing in real life is probably sexy. What exactly makes it sexy? Is it the fluidity, elegance or something?

This seems appropriate to an aspergers forum because clumsiness seems to make one a "bad dancer" which apparently people tend to find not so sexy. I can't help but think that elegance or whatever the attractive trait is something used to evolutionarily select against members who are less able to dance.

(I might be a bad dancer, lol. I remember losing to someone at a DDR party and I considered myself an "expert" player, so I'm apparently not the best.)

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 8:01 pm

I have never ever been attracted to anyone while they are dancing. It just seems like fancy flopping around.

However give a man a violin (the sexiest instrument) and oh my god. Sexy. I think everyone looks better while playing an istrument (except drums). I have always also had a soft spot for women playing brass instruments. Very sexy.

So I'm never in a rush

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

06 Aug 2011, 8:04 pm

Solvejg wrote:
I have never ever been attracted to anyone while they are dancing. It just seems like fancy flopping around.

I agree that, intellectually, it seems like meaningless random bodily gyrations but the other side of my mind finds something appealing about it, even though I personally don't like to dance in a group atmosphere (Even though I've done it once at someone else's request.).

LadybugQ
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2011, 8:12 pm

swbluto wrote:
When I see a character dancing like Harui Suzumiya on that one show (The Melancholy of...), there's something so attractive about it, and watching females dancing in real life is probably sexy. What exactly makes it sexy? Is it the fluidity, elegance or something?

This seems appropriate to an aspergers forum because clumsiness seems to make one a "bad dancer" which apparently people tend to find not so sexy. I can't help but think that elegance or whatever the attractive trait is something used to evolutionarily select against members who are less able to dance.

(I might be a bad dancer, lol. I remember losing to someone at a DDR party and I considered myself an "expert" player, so I'm apparently not the best.)

Generally, dancing is thought to be sexy because it gives a preview of how someone will behave sexually. It's not that Aspie's are bad dancers, or NT's good dancers, because I've been complimented a few times on my dancing, and there are NT's out there who move with the grace of a rapidly deflating balloon. The fluidity is a component too.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 8:15 pm

LadybugQ wrote:
swbluto wrote:

Generally, dancing is thought to be sexy because it gives a preview of how someone will behave sexually. It's not that Aspie's are bad dancers, or NT's good dancers, because I've been complimented a few times on my dancing, and there are NT's out there who move with the grace of a rapidly deflating balloon. The fluidity is a component too.

Even though you're diagnosed aspie, it's possible your physical dexterity might be more "NT" like than aspie. Just as there are differing sub-abilities in an IQ test and one can earn different scores on each, aspies probably are scattered across the wide range of associated autistic deficits.

bradt4evr
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2011, 8:17 pm

It all depends on what the dancing is, if its something like ballet its just graceful, but styles like Salsa,Samba, Arabic Bellydancing, and some types of Hip Hop and dancing done by people like Jennifer Lopez,Britney Spears etc is considered sexual due to how they shake their body, bend etc. its kind of hard to explain in an appropriate manner

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2011, 8:27 pm

Movement is sexy when coming from a beauty!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 10:03 pm

swbluto wrote:
Why is dancing sexy?

It is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 10:09 pm

Confidence.

Deuterium
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2011, 10:40 pm

I don't think I've ever found dancing sexy, particularly forms that seem more outrightly sexual (often the kind shown in movies when "the hot girl" is trying to appeal to the main character). It seems primitive and desperate to me. Things that are sexy are subtle to me, they don't involve conscious, blatant attempts to look sexy. But I wouldn't say that certain types of dances can't be an attractor for someone - just not in any sexual sense. Particularly ones that are more focused on technical execution and lighthearted entertainment (sometimes a bit silly) than showing-off-the-goods per se. Things like this (takes a bit to get to the more interesting moves):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cZtEdN-DHk[/youtube]
So I guess I like dances that are for-fun or for stimulating an intellectual response, and not for stimulating a sexual response.

sagan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 11:37 pm

Because it is fun. People having fun automatically look more sexy.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 12:34 am

Meh, I see people laugh and have "fun" dancing around and I don't find anything intriguing about that. I'm just guessing that some forms of dancing look sexy because it seems so graceful. Anyway, this thread started because of the dancing in this youtube video. Particularly after 2:56. (It seems to be somewhere between 3:00 and 3:10)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjKEbBPovKY&feature=related[/youtube]

InsomniacDreams
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2011, 1:34 am

swbluto wrote:

oh swbluto, your going to be one of those few that does my head in. Please don't take that as an insult, but rather a complement.
The two threads I have now seen you in, shows two sides of you..

Anyway, wow, was I confused for a few minutes.. not sure how to word this, since its been awhile since I was here last (different user name) I am not sure how some may respond..
I had to google Harui Suzumiya, then the Melancholy.. found out it was anime, just normal anime, because you had only given the partial name, I thought maybe it was different kind and considering the topic..

*cough*
I think you actually kinda answered your own question.
What exactly makes it sexy?.. I think it depends on the individual watching/personal preference.
For you it might be the fluidity, elegance or something completely different. And others might find 'meaningless random bodily gyrations' sexy.

Your comment about real life dancing sounds like you have never seen that before.. which confused me...
The video you posted, cute, innocent.

How about these ones? They are not so much 'meaningless random bodily gyrations', but more 'traditional' dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcvkGhho ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLvF6AE4 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYKqH8xIaaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pA5CTHQPys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K3tOXG7 ... re=related

hmm.. might be too many links, cant recall how many are allowed

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 3:04 am

I find the traditional Indian dances to be very elegant and beautiful. For the rest, there's no dance I find to be particularly interesting in itself.

As far as the sexy thing goes, I think there are two main issues:
-With a partner: if the sparks are flying on the dance floor, they'll fly on the bed as well. Chemistry is the main issue for sexiness here, and it's sexy to the partner, not to anyone else.
-Alone: it's about the woman showing the audience exactly what she wants them to see. It's about seduction.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

keira
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 5:29 am

LadybugQ wrote:

That's pretty much what I think.
Not all Aspies are bad dancers. It may not come naturally but you can be better if you put enough of work and practice into it. I was called a Pinocchio when I was younger because my dancing had no elegance or fluidity in it whatsoever. But I watched other people dance and practiced A LOT. Now my dancing is much better and sometimes even complimented on.
Dancing may be a form of physical seduction or it may be a great way to express emotions or release energy. Either way, it's only natural that seeing someone relaxed and getting pleasure through physical movement looks sexy.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 5:40 am

We are the dancing apes

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVssUf-1AAc&feature=related[/youtube]