On evaluating an adult for possible AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

camelia
Raven
Raven

06 Aug 2011, 10:19 pm

I went to the autism clinic a few years ago to be tested. The process wasn't cheap, however I was told that since I did not have access to my high school records, and my mom since died, they wouldn't be able to provide a diagnosis. I'm trans too. They said that adults learn coping mechanisms. I gave up on it. Whatever.

I recently found copies of high school records - not many just a few pages.

My question is what would a clinician look for in these records to help support a possible aspergers diagnosis?

thank you.
c

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 10:55 pm

Ooookay...copies of your high school transcipts in return for a diagnosis?? That makes no sense WHATSOEVER! I have never heard of that before. Have you thought about going elsewhere for a diagnosis, because that just seems really strange. I went through the complete ADI-R and ADOS, and she never even asked me about high school at all. It simply was not part of the interview, let alone demanding my transcripts.

Were you maybe going through a psychoeducational analysis? I have never had that before, so I am not sure what that procedure is, but maybe that assessment would require school records. Anyway, if this is your case, you do not need a psychoed for a diagnosis. If you do not have learning difficulties you need to identify, I would suggest just doing the ADI-R and ADOS (around here that is cheaper). You would need SOMEONE who knew you as a baby or child though: father? grandparents? even an aunt or an uncle?

Anyway, good luck!

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 11:19 pm

I definitely didn't have high school records as part of my diagnosis.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 11:40 pm

littlelily613 wrote:
Ooookay...copies of your high school transcipts in return for a diagnosis?? That makes no sense WHATSOEVER! I have never heard of that before. Have you thought about going elsewhere for a diagnosis, because that just seems really strange. I went through the complete ADI-R and ADOS, and she never even asked me about high school at all. It simply was not part of the interview, let alone demanding my transcripts.

Were you maybe going through a psychoeducational analysis? I have never had that before, so I am not sure what that procedure is, but maybe that assessment would require school records. Anyway, if this is your case, you do not need a psychoed for a diagnosis. If you do not have learning difficulties you need to identify, I would suggest just doing the ADI-R and ADOS (around here that is cheaper). You would need SOMEONE who knew you as a baby or child though: father? grandparents? even an aunt or an uncle?

Anyway, good luck!

This.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2011, 3:20 am

I'm not sure why you NEED high school transcripts for an assessment. They certainly can help because teachers might remark upon some aspects of your behaviour, like your social skills, depending on the report. I know I have a report from Grade 1 where my teacher put in a lengthy statement about how I didn't mix with my peers.

However, when I went and did my assessment, they never asked for such records. It was basically the psychologist asking me a list of about 60+ questions about my social skills, sensory experiences, special interests and the like. Likewise, my psychiatrist never asked for school records when considering whether I was on the spectrum.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

camelia
Raven
Raven

07 Aug 2011, 7:32 am

I'm middle aged and the people said that it is hard to diagnose this late in life. They asked if they could interview my mom (deceased) or in lieu of that documentation from grade school showing any problems I was having would be helpful. My dad is alive but was absent while I was growing up.

What was not said to me was that documentation from high school would be used to give or not give a diagnosis. I worried what i posted would be taken that way. sorry.

So it looks like those who have responded were either diagnosed as kids or in early adulthood (?)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 8:43 am

I think the big reason it's tricky to diagnose late in life is that a) the classic picture of AS was taken from observing school-aged children and young adolescents, and the clinical picture changes with age, and b) some adult-onset conditions can cause features very similar to AS/autism (eg schizophrenia in partial remission).

High school transcripts may show skill scatter, clumsiness (phys ed grades) and possibly any behavioral traits the teachers may have noticed. Elementary school transcripts would be as useful if not more, but I'm guessing most people are more likely to be able to find high school transcripts because they're needed for things like university.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2011, 9:43 am

I received my dx recently at 28, so it is possible to get a dx in adulthood. Ettina raises some of the problems with getting an adult dx, and additionally another problem with getting an adult dx is that as an adult, it is entirely possible to have picked up coping strategies.

Still, it's not impossible to get an ASD dx at an adult age. I believe there are assessments out there where it's not a requirement to interview family members and have school records, but having those on hand makes it easier. In lieu of your father, do you have any siblings or other close relatives who speak about your childhood?

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

camelia
Raven
Raven

07 Aug 2011, 10:28 am

@SmallFruitSong, I have siblings which no longer speak with me over perceived "lifestyle choices". In their world view, there is no such thing as autism, and their supreme power (with enough prayer) will correct any "problems" an individual may be having. By speaking with someone like me they believe it is condoning sin. I imagine participating in an interview to discuss my childhood for purposes of a clinical evaluation would also be seen as contrary to biblical teachings. So, no - the siblings are not an option due to their religious beliefs. All I have are these few high school papers, and plenty of letters my mom wrote which indicated troubles I was having in adolescence.

danum
Raven
Raven

07 Aug 2011, 12:39 pm

I received my diagnosis when I was 47. It was straightforward because of my circumstances - never having had a job or a relationship.

camelia
Raven
Raven

07 Aug 2011, 12:45 pm

I have had workplace troubles all of my life. Only because I work my a$$ off have I not been let go. But that is soon to change.. social awkwardness, the anxieties and fear of being around people are catching up to me. I haven't been in a relationship in over 12 years, and that was short lived and not very harmonious. So.. yeah.