Page 7 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 8:40 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Sharon Gosling: Fir
my second Red Eye book after Frozen Charlotte. So far, so good
It was awesome! Not just my fave Red Eye book this far, but a very good eerie book.

The last book I finished was "The breakdown" by B A Paris.
I liked it.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2017, 9:24 pm

Being an old poot(ess), I have a lifetime's accumulation of books :-) and I've been re-reading my way through two fiction series, both fantasy, in the order in which they were published: Discworld (Terry Pratchett) and Faerie (Seanan McGuire).

Both authors are incredible world-builders (and their worlds include cats, McGuire's quite centrally :-) ). Currently starting Soul Music for the third time, and just finished Rosemary and Rue for the third time.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 4:56 pm

Prelude to Foundation by Issac Asimov.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 7:38 pm

This Christmas by Nora Roberts

I am getting so far with it and seems to be ok.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 3:09 am

I just finished "Off the leash: A dog's best friend". It was funny and cute and reminded me of just how much I love dogs :heart:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 4:38 pm

Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 4:47 pm

Weaveworld by Clive Barker
Survivors: The Empty City by Erin Hunter
The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett
Black Creek Crossing by John Saul
And I'm slowly but surely working my way through a complete collection of stories by H.P. Lovecraft.

I really need to pick just one book to focus on and finish, or I won't finish any of them. That would hardly be the first time that's happened.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2017, 7:06 pm

Street Lawyer by John Grisham
Step on a Crack by James Patterson

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 12:31 am

“bansenshukai” by fujibayashi yasutake, translated by antony cummins, yoshie minami

interesting, so far.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 1:11 am

The Kingdom of Infinite Space, A Fantastical Journey Around Your Head - Raymond Tallis

jedicounsellor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2017, 4:47 am

I've developed a liking for having several books on the go at once. I'm a returned writer who was starting out when I stopped writing many years ago, I've regained my footing and have in turn found more books related to this interest. I'm reading a magazine by Writer's Digest titled Writer's Workbook; Telling True Stories: Navigating the challenges of writing narrative non-fiction, by Matthew Ricketson; Reading Like a Writer: A guide for people who love books and for those who want to write them, by Francine Prose; The Qu'ran by (I forget who and don't have access to the book right now), but the author translator came recommended by Dr. Bill Warner who is an expert on Political Islam. I was heavily adverse to Islam at my earliest understanding of it, as I succumbed to all the wrong information that was out there. I'm not very good at researching, it seems; not a happy moment for me to admit because I'd like to consider myself someone who arrives at an accurate understanding of things which matter to him.

I'm about half way through Telling True Stories, and have to admit the author has intrigued me on the narrative non-fiction avenues available in a writer's occupation. I've barely touched Reading Like a Writer but I'll give some insights of my liking for them, once I've read them (in random discussions); The Writer's Workbook has provided some nice suggestions for writing and provided a worksheet which I've yet to complete. I'm hoping this is some basis for a bigger project - maybe revealed later on throughout the short two, and three page articles. It's a smorgasbord of information, and actually the second edition of this magazine I've purchased. There's another out already and I haven't finished reading this one yet (mainly taking it to the toilet to read, or only reading one article per day), and not that it isn't interesting. The only downside to this particular magazine is that it's published in the US and so many of the events being marketed are directed at that audience.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2017, 1:03 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Survivors: The Empty City by Erin Hunter

How are you liking it? I've been wanting to read this series myself.

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Black Creek Crossing by John Saul
I like John Saul's books too. :)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2018, 9:43 pm

Blood Memory by Greg Iles. Stunning crime mystery, intricate plotting, believable characters, and compassionate accounting of the dynamics of the sexual exploitation of children. Southern Gothic at its very best.

Usually with crime mysteries I figure out the how and who in the first 3 chapters. Not this one, the mystery is brilliantly woven to the last page.

It's a big book, which added to the enjoyment, as it lasted me a while. I like to read for a few hours before I go to sleep at night.

GreyGirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 11:13 am

"Strangers on a Train" by Patricia Highsmith

It is referenced so often as a plot idea in tv shows that I decided to watch the movie.
Then I found out how much of the book they changed to make it more "audience friendly" so I decided to read the book myself.
So far so good.

"Freedom of Speech is Not a License to be Stupid"

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2018, 6:26 pm

Midnight at the Dragon Cafe by Judy Fong Bates.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2018, 4:36 pm

Good FRIDAY Lynda La Plant

I'm reading a novel based on the IRA bombings that were taking place in London during the seventies uprisings.
Tennison is the lead on the case and I've only gotten as far as remembering all the fictional characters on all the squads and herself being caught up in the Convent Garden bombing. What makes it more poignant I guess was that I had been there this summer to look at the galleries so I ended up there and it's always been busy. Just not the same as I visualised it. Bit of a culture shock.
Books are like a lifeline to me, I'm a bit of a bookworm, I've read over seven this spring/ summer.