What book(s) are you currently reading?

Page 8 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2018, 4:36 pm

Good FRIDAY Lynda La Plant

I'm reading a novel based on the IRA bombings that were taking place in London during the seventies uprisings.
Tennison is the lead on the case and I've only gotten as far as remembering all the fictional characters on all the squads and herself being caught up in the Convent Garden bombing. What makes it more poignant I guess was that I had been there this summer to look at the galleries so I ended up there and it's always been busy. Just not the same as I visualised it. Bit of a culture shock.
Books are like a lifeline to me, I'm a bit of a bookworm, I've read over seven this spring/ summer.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2018, 4:49 pm

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn because, while I loathe the contemporaneous "words," I think there is a special place in hell for those who erase any original writings, for whatever reason.

Also, because I read two or three books at a time, I am reading Heroes of Karth: The Curse of the Undead, the first book of a fantasy series involving LGBTQ and autistic characters. I know the author, Grant Hamilton, and he asked if I would preview his second book in some months. Would I?!?

My last ongoing reading is Memory In Autism. It is a clinical collection of research about memorization skills among autists.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2018, 4:00 pm

I'm still trying to finish Cujo by Stephen King.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2018, 6:28 am

^ that was one of King's duds for me. King is very hit or miss for me.

Madeleine Roux: the asylum
good so far, although Jordan is annoying with his jerk like behavior at times

John Rector: the ridge
also good so far

Beth Pfeffer: the shade of the moon
Good, but gad the main characters are annoying!

in book one I really liked the Evans family.

Book 2 followed another set of characters that I never warmed up to. I thought Alex Morales was a jerk and then some, and his sister Bri was such a lost case, not realizing their parents were dead. Between all the religious crap and the sexism, I was just annoyed reading about them, but the plot was interesting enough that I wanted to read on despite them. Julie was okay though.

Book 3: I think the mother was crazy for putting the baby above her own kids. Syl seemed like a freeloader, and I hated her for 2 things she did (the cat, the mom). I have no idea why Miranda liked Alex from book 2, I saw no redeeming qualities in him. I really disliked how some characters from book 1 now had turned religious when there was nothing to suggest such a thing in book 1.

Now in the 4th book, Jon is the main character, and the first dumb thing he does is go after a girl that will only get him in trouble in a very dangerous world where he needs all the protection he can get. And then his mother goes on and does something so pointless and plain dumb that I had to read it twice. What did she think that would accomplish? I'm glad to see Lisa not seeming religious anymore, at least I haven't read anything about it.
In this book, Alex actually came off as a sympathetic guy, what little we saw of him (at least so far). The book is exciting enough but I wanna talk some sense to the characters!
Apparently the author intended the book to be very different. I wonder what the original manuscript was like.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765