Page 5 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 2:21 pm

I seriously doubt that someone can "cure" their autism. You're still autistic. It's just that you've found ways to deal with it and cope to fit in better with the world.

josh338
Raven
Raven

14 Aug 2016, 2:28 pm

izzeme wrote:
the difference can lie in the way you answer the questions; i have done several tests on a few tests to try this out.
if i answer from the 'internal' me, or how i feel, i score in the top-levels of AS; but if i answer from the 'external' me, how i act, i get a low score, that makes me only slightly quirky, due to the methods i have developed to cope with and/or hide my AS.

I've noticed this about myself. Many of my most autistic traits are hidden. For example, if I have a meltdown, it will usually be internal. Externally, it will seem more of a shutdown -- I just withdraw, don't say anything. Or I might explode in rage later, when I'm alone. So too with repetitive speech. If I'm on my own, I'll often repeat phrases to myself, as if I'm a stuck record. But when with others, I don't do that. If I stim, it's something like foot tapping, which is socially acceptable in a way that say rocking is not.

I'm thinking that I learned to hide these behaviors, probably after being told they were undesirable when I was a child.