Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

08 Aug 2011, 9:16 am

I took the AQ test 3 months ago which I consistently scored between 32 and 35, which makes me about as autistic as half the people here. Over the past three months, I've not been purposely trying to cure my autism, but rather learn more about it (In hopes that it would improve self-assessment accuracy.).

I've been working with my cousin over the past 2 months on a near daily basis, and we've played games and had fun conversations. Also, over the past two months, my income has significantly increased and my future income looks pretty much secure and there are bright, big plans for the future along with a lot of fun exploration and experimentation. With these feelings of friendship, security and generally seeing life unfold in a way that I desire, I currently feel a bit good about life.

I took the AQ test again, which I consistently scored between 32 and 35 on about 3 months ago, and scored a 19 and the male average is 17. Hmmm... that's interesting. I'm not really so aspie after all, I guess?

During my research of the correlates of the AQ test, there were two significant correlates that weren't directly related to autism: Introversion and depression. It's quite possible my average level of introversion and depression was a bit higher 3 months ago, thereby resulting in a higher AQ score. I do notice I have no inhibition answering the phone right away and I'm not really afraid of talking with people and I've noticed I tend to be less self-monitoring these days. So, if you want to cure your autism, go out there, make friends, work your tail off in an enthralling venture and take the test again and if you're lucky, you'll have cured it. I'm guessing that many of the medium-to-high scorers on the AQ test here who are not sure or undiagnosed on WP are probably depressed, introverted NTs. They might also have other complicating conditions that may mimic parts of autism, whether it be behaviors or similar social outcomes, like ADHD or Language Disorders or higher-than-average schizophrenic expression.

Personally based on other evidence that I haven't listed here, it's possible I may have ADHD or a significantly higher than average level of ADHD traits.

stevesilberman
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Aug 2011, 9:27 am

It's great to hear that you're feeling better and that your life is progressing in ways that you feel great about, but it's a stretch to say that you "cured your autism" -- particularly as measured by the AQ test, which is not a diagnostic instrument, but more like a fun and provocative questionnaire. Autistic people (and non-autistic people) move up and down the AQ scale their whole lives; it's not a matter of curing, but a matter of self-acceptance, for wherever you happen to be on (or off) the spectrum.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 9:28 am

Huh... it boggles my mind that you actually think the AQ test has any sort of relevence once you take it the first time. I mean any Aspie worth their name would memorize the test and the answers and never be able to take the test without bias after the first time. You probably never were one...

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

08 Aug 2011, 9:40 am

kfisherx wrote:
Huh... it boggles my mind that you actually think the AQ test has any sort of relevence once you take it the first time. I mean any Aspie worth their name would memorize the test and the answers and never be able to take the test without bias after the first time. You probably never were one...

Well, the fact I consistently scored between 32 and 35 despite having the "I really don't want to be an aspie" bias though I tried to remain objective suggests that it's highly consistent. This consistency suggests that my recently low score was not due to bias but other factors that influences ones AQ score, such as ADHD, introversion and depression. Or, perhaps, regaining my lost social perspective that came with being an extreme introvert.

But, I s'pose I could've lost my objectivity. But... I'm really not fascinated by dates, I realize. Why is that? I suppose that's because I've seen what "true fascination" looks like from others and I realized I'm not anywhere near that fascinated about dates.

Though, I was able to recall Hackers was a 1995 film in class one time. Hmmmm...

And, it's true, I know how the test is scored and I know how each answer influences the score. So there's that possibility for bias.

Last edited by swbluto on 08 Aug 2011, 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 9:45 am

the difference can lie in the way you answer the questions; i have done several tests on a few tests to try this out.
if i answer from the 'internal' me, or how i feel, i score in the top-levels of AS; but if i answer from the 'external' me, how i act, i get a low score, that makes me only slightly quirky, due to the methods i have developed to cope with and/or hide my AS.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 9:49 am

swbluto wrote:
I took the AQ test 3 months ago which I consistently scored between 32 and 35, which makes me about as autistic as half the people here. Over the past three months, I've not been purposely trying to cure my autism, but rather learn more about it (In hopes that it would improve self-assessment accuracy.).

I've been working with my cousin over the past 2 months on a near daily basis, and we've played games and had fun conversations. Also, over the past two months, my income has significantly increased and my future income looks pretty much secure and there are bright, big plans for the future along with a lot of fun exploration and experimentation. With these feelings of friendship, security and generally seeing life unfold in a way that I desire, I currently feel a bit good about life.

I took the AQ test again, which I consistently scored between 32 and 35 on about 3 months ago, and scored a 19 and the male average is 17. Hmmm... that's interesting. I'm not really so aspie after all, I guess?

During my research of the correlates of the AQ test, there were two significant correlates that weren't directly related to autism: Introversion and depression. It's quite possible my average level of introversion and depression was a bit higher 3 months ago, thereby resulting in a higher AQ score. I do notice I have no inhibition answering the phone right away and I'm not really afraid of talking with people and I've noticed I tend to be less self-monitoring these days. So, if you want to cure your autism, go out there, make friends, work your tail off in an enthralling venture and take the test again and if you're lucky, you'll have cured it. I'm guessing that many of the medium-to-high scorers on the AQ test here who are not sure or undiagnosed on WP are probably depressed, introverted NTs. They might also have other complicating conditions that may mimic parts of autism, whether it be behaviors or similar social outcomes, like ADHD or Language Disorders or higher-than-average schizophrenic expression.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok6eIPx5S3U.

Quote:
I'm guessing that many of the medium-to-high scorers on the AQ test here who are not sure or undiagnosed on WP are probably depressed, introverted NTs. They might also have other complicating conditions that may mimic parts of autism, whether it be behaviors or similar social outcomes, like ADHD or Language Disorders or higher-than-average schizophrenic expression.

Maybe a few here like this. I think there is something more serious going on here other than depression and introversion though.

My family thought I might have it: "i told mom a long time ago that i think you have some form of autism. occasionally i sense a bit of rain man. this ability to think big and deep and disappear in your own thoughts and miss something totally obvious to everyone around you, etc. there's more to it than that, but you just seemed to be one of those functional autistic folks.. "

It turns out it is ADHD. I score 32-38 on AQ test. 110 to 130 on rdos " the Aspie quiz."

Troy_Guther
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2011, 10:09 am

swbluto wrote:

During my research of the correlates of the AQ test, there were two significant correlates that weren't directly related to autism: Introversion and depression. It's quite possible my average level of introversion and depression was a bit higher 3 months ago, thereby resulting in a higher AQ score. I do notice I have no inhibition answering the phone right away and I'm not really afraid of talking with people and I've noticed I tend to be less self-monitoring these days. So, if you want to cure your autism, go out there, make friends, work your tail off in an enthralling venture and take the test again and if you're lucky, you'll have cured it. I'm guessing that many of the medium-to-high scorers on the AQ test here who are not sure or undiagnosed on WP are probably depressed, introverted NTs. They might also have other complicating conditions that may mimic parts of autism, whether it be behaviors or similar social outcomes, like ADHD or Language Disorders or higher-than-average schizophrenic expression.

Personally based on other evidence that I haven't listed here, it's possible I may have ADHD or a significantly higher than average level of ADHD traits.

While your autism may not be cured, per se, it is now under your control. You've got the sociability of an NT and the intelligence of an aspie. Things will regress at some point, as all things do. Just stay positive and keep doing what you've been doing. Welcome to the party! :D

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 10:14 am

Three things

*we are not all introverted or depressed
*I cannot cure myself by acting NT
*You stated you were not trying to cure autism, but rather you were trying to "improve" your score, that is what you did.

I originally scored 31, I now score 42, I am not more autistic, I just have greater self awareness.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 10:14 am

swbluto wrote:
Over the past three months, I've not been purposely trying to cure my autism, but rather learn more about it

Just as well because you can't 'cure' a difference in brain structure.

swbluto wrote:

This is so funny. If only it were all down to income, security and having fun. What have I been doing with my life :roll:

swbluto wrote:

Maybe you've just now realised how unreliable these so called tests are. Sure, they are fun to play around with but most of us have known there was something very different about us all our lives before before ever hearing of or taking part in any of these test. Do yourself a favour and forget about them. They are near worthless.

swbluto wrote:
I do notice I have no inhibition answering the phone right away and I'm not really afraid of talking with people and I've noticed I tend to be less self-monitoring these days. So, if you want to cure your autism, go out there, make friends, work your tail off in an enthralling venture and take the test again and if you're lucky, you'll have cured it. I'm guessing that many of the medium-to-high scorers on the AQ test here who are not sure or undiagnosed on WP are probably depressed, introverted NTs. They might also have other complicating conditions that may mimic parts of autism, whether it be behaviors or similar social outcomes, like ADHD or Language Disorders or higher-than-average schizophrenic expression.

Do you really think that many aspies are actually afraid of people? My problems were the same before getting depressed; I know the difference. You clearly don't get it at all. But I don't blame you for that, since you probably have never had the condition you wouldn't be able to understand.

swbluto wrote:

Quite possibly so, but please don't speculate the causes of others sufferiing. Personally, I find it quite insulting to basically be told to "pull yourself together and it'll all be alright." :evil: . Sorry, I've heard that one once or twice before :wink:

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 10:28 am

But I don't want to be cured.

I'm perfectly fine with my autism. I quite enjoy it. I'm a very happy person too.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 10:30 am

kfisherx wrote:

Although I wouldn't think I can memorize any test, there is certainly a way to be biased after a test is taken for the first time. This is precisely why I take any test only once. The only exception is the EQ test so far, on which I scored lower for the second time, almost 3 months after the first. However, the more test someone takes, the more biased he becomes, since there is a significant overlap to the questions, and a growing sense of being involved in something we call ASD. In marketing they call it 'panel effect':

"In classic panel research, the “panel effect” is understood to be the change in response behavior caused by repeated participation in surveys, which can have uncontrollable effect on survey results." (Link)

LornaDoone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Aug 2011, 10:32 am

Very happy you are doing better! That is what counts. Keep up the good work :flower:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 10:36 am

Quote:
I cured my autism and you can too!

why would i want to cure you of autism if you have already done so? (literal joke)

you can not cure true autism.

if you have autism, you know that it is integral to your fabric of being because no matter how well you idealize the concepts that you must be aware of in order to move within society, they remain as ideas, and they never find a place in your instinct. everything always has to be calculated. nothing can just be "felt".

i know that it is against the rules to question a persons assertions that they are autistic, so i will not do so.

cognitive "therapy" never had any effect on me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 10:44 am

More power to you. I'm not really interested in going that route.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 10:59 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
More power to you. I'm not really interested in going that route.

each to their own. i was not aware that i traced any route, but everyone is free to go where they wish.
stay happy and safe wherever you go.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 11:03 am

Mdyar wrote:
It turns out it is ADHD. I score 32-38 on AQ test. 110 to 130 on rdos " the Aspie quiz."

Similar scores for me too. I'm betting on ADHD for me, though I'm not sure.

Re-designating yourself in this manner is the quick cure :lol: