Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 11:03 am

Mdyar wrote:
It turns out it is ADHD. I score 32-38 on AQ test. 110 to 130 on rdos " the Aspie quiz."

Similar scores for me too. I'm betting on ADHD for me, though I'm not sure.

Re-designating yourself in this manner is the quick cure :lol:

AllieKat
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2011, 11:04 am

Some individuals with AS, if motivated can "learn" to fake NT through cognitive-behavioral therapy and studying the "social rules" but the underlying brain structure is still AS. It's more like an 'acting technique' if anything.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 11:21 am

Sounds like you have just successfully dealt with depression maybe, which is a good thing. Anxiety and depression both seem to be things that can cause autistic-like behaviors and getting better at managing them should make you appear more NT. I struggle with anxiety and work to find better ways to cope with it but I don't think curing my anxiety would make all my other traits go away. In fact, I know it wont because when I was younger I had much less anxiety but still had many traits of AS. To me ASD seems to be more of a cognitive thing than just a symptomatic thing. Symptoms come along because autistic ways of thinking are just not as well suited for social interaction as compared to NT types of thinking. As I improve my social skills and work to reduce my anxiety I fit in with others a little better but still I feel different from my peers.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 11:26 am

I'm pretty sure sw'S "autism" is the experience he has with his particular type of cognition. His implication is having ADHD, with depression..... His personal version of autism. I think he has it ( ADHD). He's been somewhat evaluated as having it from a medical source from a prior post of his.

sw still doubts it, it seems. Some of the things he's posted leads me to believe that it isn't "traits" or a subclinical version though.

sw, I've been exuberant with things or interests that I embark on, and the boredom wanes. I don't think this is clinical depression. If it was it would incapacitate you in a pervasive way- I'd guarantee it. Look up clinical depression. You may have dysthymia, though.

You'll get positive feedback in your work, hobby, project-endeavors, and you'll forget all about this....it willl seem distant.... it willl return , it is part of this cognition.

sw's gospel here is this will lift with certain conditions. Yes it will. Yes it will return.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

08 Aug 2011, 11:29 am

FearOfMusic wrote:
Symptoms come along because autistic ways of thinking are just not as well suited for social interaction as compared to NT types of thinking. As I improve my social skills and work to reduce my anxiety I fit in with others a little better but still I feel different from my peers.

There are ways of thinking that are "not well suited" to social interaction other than autistic ways of thinking, and some such MBTI thinking patterns seem to cluster around INTP and INTJ.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 11:35 am

Moog wrote:
Mdyar wrote:
It turns out it is ADHD. I score 32-38 on AQ test. 110 to 130 on rdos " the Aspie quiz."

:lol:

I'd bet dollars/pounds to doughnuts it's nearly as serious as mild Aspergers.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 11:46 am

Mdyar wrote:
Moog wrote:
Mdyar wrote:

:lol:

I'd bet dollars/pounds to doughnuts it's nearly as serious as mild Aspergers.

It hasn't been easy.

Ambiguity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2011, 11:50 am

swbluto wrote:
FearOfMusic wrote:
Symptoms come along because autistic ways of thinking are just not as well suited for social interaction as compared to NT types of thinking. As I improve my social skills and work to reduce my anxiety I fit in with others a little better but still I feel different from my peers.

There are ways of thinking that are "not well suited" to social interaction other than autistic ways of thinking, and some such MBTI thinking patterns seem to cluster around INTP and INTJ.

While that may be true, you're arguing about a neurological "disorder" versus personality. It doesn't seem that you understand what ASD really are.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 11:59 am

Ambiguity wrote:
swbluto wrote:
FearOfMusic wrote:

While that may be true, you're arguing about a neurological "disorder" versus personality. It doesn't seem that you understand what ASD really are.

I tend to think autism does have a strong connection to personality traits. The experiences you have mold your personality to a certain extent, our experiences are influenced heavily in some and lesser in others by our autism spectrum disorder.
They certainly have a relationship.

Ambiguity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2011, 12:07 pm

TB wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:
swbluto wrote:
FearOfMusic wrote:

I tend to think autism does have a strong connection to personality traits. The experiences you have mold your personality to a certain extent, our experiences are influenced heavily in some and lesser in others by our autism spectrum disorder.

I don't disagree but they definitely are not synonymous.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2011, 12:09 pm

I just find it amusing that someone is claiming that their "autism" has been "cured" based on an online test.

The thing is:

a) The AQ is not a diagnostic test, never has been and I believe that was never its intention;
b) The questions are so vague at points that people with various other disorders would be able to score 32+ on it - i.e. if you have social anxiety, ADHD, depression, schizophrenia-spectrum disorders, etc.

So, just because someone scores 32+ consistently on the test doesn't necessarily mean they have it.

@OP: It sounds more like your depression and anxiety were alleviated, hence your lower scores on the test. Not that your "autism" was ever cured.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

Phonic wrote:
Three things

*we are not all introverted or depressed
*I cannot cure myself by acting NT
*You stated you were not trying to cure autism, but rather you were trying to "improve" your score, that is what you did.

This.

And you are obviously not aware of just how obsessed you are with this. :lol:

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 12:32 pm

Ambiguity wrote:
TB wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:
swbluto wrote:
FearOfMusic wrote:

I don't disagree but they definitely are not synonymous.

Well there are NT INTPs and INTJs and also autistic INTPs and INTJs, there also seem to be extroverted people on the autism spectrum. MBTI is personality type; to me personality types aren't a way of thinking but rather a way of behaving. Introverted NTs are still, in a brain-wiring sense, 'well suited' for social interaction, they may not be the most social people in the world but they do have a more intuitive understanding of socialization than their autistic counterpart. NT introverts can probably read non-verbal social cues at about the same level as NT extroverts, they aren't going to make as many social mistakes as people on the autism spectrum will, and when they do they probably can recognize why.

It sounds like lots of people here are introverts. I think autism sort of leans towards introvertedness, anxiety, and depression-like symptoms. I think that (at least to some extent) it might be because of experiences such as bullying and peer rejection. Being verbally abused, ignored and taken advantage of really isn't really something that helps shape a person into a happy, extroverted and outgoing individual.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

08 Aug 2011, 12:50 pm

Okay people, I was just joking around with the "cure" part, as I was obviously ridiculous in defining my "autism" as a score on the AQ test. (i.e., "I'm above 30, so I must be autistic!" lol)

It's good some of you clearly caught that.

UnnaturalDisaster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

swbluto wrote:
I cured my autism and you can too!

And they all lived happily ever after. :roll:

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

Ambiguity wrote:
swbluto wrote:
FearOfMusic wrote:

I perfectly well understand what ASDs are, and I understand how certain thinking patterns as typified by the Myer-Briggs are less conducive to socialization with the general population.