Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

08 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

Ambiguity wrote:
swbluto wrote:
FearOfMusic wrote:
Symptoms come along because autistic ways of thinking are just not as well suited for social interaction as compared to NT types of thinking. As I improve my social skills and work to reduce my anxiety I fit in with others a little better but still I feel different from my peers.

There are ways of thinking that are "not well suited" to social interaction other than autistic ways of thinking, and some such MBTI thinking patterns seem to cluster around INTP and INTJ.

While that may be true, you're arguing about a neurological "disorder" versus personality. It doesn't seem that you understand what ASD really are.

I perfectly well understand what ASDs are, and I understand how certain thinking patterns as typified by the Myer-Briggs are less conducive to socialization with the general population.

TB
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 12:56 pm

swbluto wrote:
Okay people, I was just joking around with the "cure" part, as I was obviously ridiculous in defining my "autism" as a score on the AQ test. (i.e., "I'm above 30, so I must be autistic!" lol)

It's good some of you clearly caught that.

Aha, you just got busted by the superious logic present on this forum. And now you try to brush it of like it was part of your evil master plan.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

08 Aug 2011, 1:03 pm

TB wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Okay people, I was just joking around with the "cure" part, as I was obviously ridiculous in defining my "autism" as a score on the AQ test. (i.e., "I'm above 30, so I must be autistic!" lol)

Aha, you just got busted by the superious logic present on this forum. And now you try to brush it of like it was part of your evil master plan.

Haha, think what you wish.

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

AQ test?
What is that?

parrow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2011, 1:51 pm

This is why real medical testing exists. It's quite more extensive than any aspie quiz. A depressed introvert should be caught by any good doctor.

I've learned the social norms. I can go out and put on an act to have 99% of the people think I'm normal. I have a good job and have to put on the act every day. I've even heard that there are many aspie actors in Hollywood. But that is the problem. For us aspies it's all an act, and we know it. Putting on the show is exhausting. And it is frustrating because I know that I don't have to put on this act because of my disability, but I have to because of NT's inability to accept or understand anything that is not normal to them. And no matter how long I "put on the show," it's always just a show. It doesn't cure my aspergers. If it does for you, then you didn't have aspergers in the first place.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 4:03 pm

SmallFruitSong wrote:

a) The AQ is not a diagnostic test, never has been and I believe that was never its intention;

The AQ is actually used as a diagnostic test - its just explicitly not the only part of a diagnosis. It doesn't on its own state that there is an ASD, but the AQ and EQ both might be used to help diagnose an adult - in fact are part of the AAA (Adult Asperger Assessment), and were used in my diagnosis.

However, a high score on the AQ isn't at all enough for a diagnosis. It is true that there are ways to get high score that aren't at all autism. That's why its only a small part of the diagnostic criteria.

OP, what you are talking about won't "cure" or remove someone's autism. Its something that people should try anyways, especially when they aren't positive that they have autism, because there are other things that share symptoms. But it won't cure someone who really is on the spectrum. If that was enough for me, then they definitely wouldn't have been considering me likely on the spectrum at age 12, because I had no depression at that point and I don't have ADHD.

It's good that this helped you, but it wasn't curing your autism if you never had autism, and assuming that everyone doesn't really having an ASD is frustrating. I've had people tell me before that I only showed symptoms of Asperger's because of my depression, because depression is currently more visible in me in some settings. It actually really hurt because this is something that took me a decade to get a diagnosis (people don't want to diagnose females). When you look at me though, you can see that the symptoms aren't caused from the depression including that these symptoms have existed for my entire life. In fact, I present as not-depressed despite the fact that I almost certainly have reactive depression.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 4:17 pm

You're basically teaching to the test. Same way ABA works--they specifically target autistic behavior, poke at you with rewards until you learn to imitate NT, and then say you're getting better. In reality, you're just learning to imitate NTs.

Don't blame me if you burn out and realize you can't use half your skills anymore, and have to veg out for a year before you can get your brain back in working order. That's what happens when an autistic person tries to do too much at once. You've been warned.

You're way better off learning useful things that will help you do stuff you want to do. It's kinda like, if you have a hammer, eventually if you pound hard enough you might be able to get a screw into a piece of wood; but you're better off just using nails instead and telling people off when they insist screws are the only valid form of fastener. Otherwise, your hand's gonna get awfully sore...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

TB
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 4:41 pm

Callista wrote:

Don't blame me if you burn out and realize you can't use half your skills anymore, and have to veg out for a year before you can get your brain back in working order. That's what happens when an autistic person tries to do too much at once. You've been warned.

Been there. Great post ,i found it to be like this for myself too.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

TB wrote:
Callista wrote:

Been there. Great post ,i found it to be like this for myself too.

Ha, I've been vegging for several years now

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 4:48 pm

Two problems.

One is that what you "cured" was a score on an online test. This is not a test used to diagnose autism. So congratulations. You are no longer scoring 32-38 on a test.

Second, just because you were able to alter the results on a non-diagnostic assessment, this in no way would indicate that I would be able to do the same.

guywithAS
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2011, 5:15 pm

i commend you on your attitude. you have to be very careful about your use of language. autism is a thinking style, so its not something which will just vanish.

the social element can be dramatically improved, and i fall into the camp which believes virtually all the social problems for the higher end of the autism spectrum are solveable. i intend to prove this. that still doesn't change the brain type of autism, its just some workarounds to solve the social problems we all face.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 5:40 pm

Well, I'm glad things are improving for you. You're probably right in that you are a NT.

My situation has been almost the exact opposite. The more I introspect myself, the more aspie tendencies I find. A few months ago, I wasn't too sure about all this. I was (or at least thought I was) doing just fine in my day to day life. Then I started to realize that maybe I do have a problem. Maybe I do need to change myself; I can't keep living like this. How am I ever going to keep a job if everyone I come in contact with forms a negative opinion of me due to my aspie traits?

Not only that, but in the month or so, my stress levels have gone up about 500%. Hopefully once school starts again I'll be able to get back into my routine and return to a better state of functioning. But, as I have noticed, stress plays a huge role in my ability to mask and deal with my AS.

I'm sure in 10 years from now, once I'm living on my own, have a steady source of income, and develop more efficient ways to cope with the NT world, I won't have much of a problem.

Last edited by SammichEater on 08 Aug 2011, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 5:44 pm

It is impossible to cure autism. Autism is a lifelong development disability. You were never diagnosed anyway, and if you think you are "cured" that is perhaps because you may never have had it to begin with. Lots of other issues or conditions can present (usually temporary even if long-lasting) autistic-like symptoms. Maybe you have overcome these in the last few months.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 6:07 pm

Quote:
But, I s'pose I could've lost my objectivity. But... I'm really not fascinated by dates, I realize. Why is that? I suppose that's because I've seen what "true fascination" looks like from others and I realized I'm not anywhere near that fascinated about dates.

I noticed something similar with me.

If I compare myself to NTs only, I score way more autistic than if I compare myself to other autistics as well.

Remember that the test is designed to be taken by people who haven't met a lot of autistic people. So try not think 'well, I'm way more interested in dates than most NTs, but I know many autistics with a greater fascination than I have' and conclude that you're not really all that fascinated by dates based on that. The test's not normed for comparing yourself to autistic people.

Godless_lawyer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2011, 6:18 pm

I wouldn't trust a test that asks you to give opinions about yourself as any kind of diagnostic tool. That kind of totally subjective assessment - to me - is just something that tells you if you should consider a more formal diagnosis.

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 6:55 pm

swbluto wrote:
TB wrote:
swbluto wrote:

Haha, think what you wish.

Now I'm just lost... I give up on this thread. :roll: