Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 6:55 pm

swbluto wrote:
TB wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Okay people, I was just joking around with the "cure" part, as I was obviously ridiculous in defining my "autism" as a score on the AQ test. (i.e., "I'm above 30, so I must be autistic!" lol)

It's good some of you clearly caught that.

Aha, you just got busted by the superious logic present on this forum. And now you try to brush it of like it was part of your evil master plan.

Haha, think what you wish.

Now I'm just lost... I give up on this thread. :roll:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 7:33 pm

My autism cured me and can cure you too! :D

Sorry, my autism made it futile for me to resist. :evil: :twisted:

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 8:50 am

Quote:
AQ test?
What is that?

This.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

09 Aug 2011, 10:07 am

nemorosa wrote:
swbluto wrote:
I've been working with my cousin over the past 2 months on a near daily basis, and we've played games and had fun conversations. Also, over the past two months, my income has significantly increased and my future income looks pretty much secure and there are bright, big plans for the future along with a lot of fun exploration and experimentation. With these feelings of friendship, security and generally seeing life unfold in a way that I desire, I currently feel a bit good about life.

This is so funny. If only it were all down to income, security and having fun. What have I been doing with my life :roll:

What else is there?

If you're suggesting girls, that won't significantly improve your life satisfaction if you're already dissatisfied, as girls tend to be emotional mirrors and likes tend to attract. That is, the people you attract (In this case, girls) are more of a reflection of you than something that "changes you".

But, I'll admit, I could just be on an upswing and the happiness affect will wear off once the upswing stops. But, what if it never stops? Image :D

Last edited by swbluto on 09 Aug 2011, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 10:49 am

Good for you, but you can never fully "cure" autism...you can learn how to act, what to say, who to be....but you can't change the way your mind works.

JoachimBoaz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2011, 11:06 am

Why would i want to cure what makes me sane?

Normal is auschwitz
50000 nukes and Mutual Assured Destruction
George Bush
Supersized people
4 million cameras in london watching YOU
Reality tv

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

09 Aug 2011, 11:22 am

JoachimBoaz wrote:
Why would i want to cure what makes me sane?

Normal is auschwitz
50000 nukes and Mutual Assured Destruction
George Bush
Supersized people
4 million cameras in london watching YOU
Reality tv

An aspergian society would have its malevolent dictators and calorie-seeking fatsos, too. The human condition doesn't disappear on account of Aspergers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 11:33 am

You 'cured' your autism? good for you though I have to agree with the majority here and say you can't really cure how your brain is wired unless you want someone playing around with shap objects in your brain...but then you could end up worse off.

But anyways just because you cured your autism or found ways to come off as more NT...what do you mean I can to? what exactly are you basing this on?

PersistentTimeStop
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2011, 11:37 am

I don't want to be "cured" of autism just as gays don't want to be cured of their homosexuality and black people want to be cured of having dark skin.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 11:49 am

PersistentTimeStop wrote:
I don't want to be "cured" of autism just as gays don't want to be cured of their homosexuality and black people want to be cured of having dark skin.

Yes but homosexuality and having dark skin cannot be defined as disorders as they do not negativley effect peoples functioning...as much as some claim there are no disadvantages to having AS/Autism I have had first hand experiance with some of these disadvantages.

Still don't want to be cured but I do not think AS/Autism can really be put in the same catagory as race or sexual orientation.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Yes but homosexuality and having dark skin cannot be defined as disorders as they do not negativley effect peoples functioning...as much as some claim there are no disadvantages to having AS/Autism I have had first hand experiance with some of these disadvantages.

Homosexuality makes it a lot harder to have children. Without the participation of someone outside the relationship, a gay couple can't have kids, while a straight couple can. And having children is such a big part of adult life, our whole society is built around the expectation that married adults should have kids. Anything that makes it harder for people who want kids to have them is significantly impacting their functioning in an important area of life.

Not that I think gayness should be cured, of course.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

Ettina wrote:
Quote:

Homosexuality makes it a lot harder to have children. Without the participation of someone outside the relationship, a gay couple can't have kids, while a straight couple can. And having children is such a big part of adult life, our whole society is built around the expectation that married adults should have kids. Anything that makes it harder for people who want kids to have them is significantly impacting their functioning in an important area of life.

Not that I think gayness should be cured, of course.

They can physically have children, but there are some obvious reasons why many of them do not give birth to children This is why I think they should certainly be allowed to adopt and if they would like to go through one of those procedures involving egg/sperm donars they should have at it.

But keep in mind not every homosexual couple even wants children...not every straight couple wants children either...I do not consider one disabled for not having children its not and should not be a requirement for married 'adult' life. Maybe I don't want to have kids...

LuckyLeft
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2011, 1:04 pm

You'll be prone to self-destruct mentally if you continue to imitate NTs behaviors on a consistent basis. I know from personal experience....
But I do believe that one can learn to adapt certain NT characteristics to the point where there's no need for a diagnosis. But there's no vaccination for Autism/Autism Spectrum Disorders, as some people seem to believe....

bushratcandy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2016, 2:42 am

swbluto wrote:
I took the AQ test 3 months ago which I consistently scored between 32 and 35, which makes me about as autistic as half the people here. Over the past three months, I've not been purposely trying to cure my autism, but rather learn more about it (In hopes that it would improve self-assessment accuracy.).

I've been working with my cousin over the past 2 months on a near daily basis, and we've played games and had fun conversations. Also, over the past two months, my income has significantly increased and my future income looks pretty much secure and there are bright, big plans for the future along with a lot of fun exploration and experimentation. With these feelings of friendship, security and generally seeing life unfold in a way that I desire, I currently feel a bit good about life.

I took the AQ test again, which I consistently scored between 32 and 35 on about 3 months ago, and scored a 19 and the male average is 17. Hmmm... that's interesting. I'm not really so aspie after all, I guess?

During my research of the correlates of the AQ test, there were two significant correlates that weren't directly related to autism: Introversion and depression. It's quite possible my average level of introversion and depression was a bit higher 3 months ago, thereby resulting in a higher AQ score. I do notice I have no inhibition answering the phone right away and I'm not really afraid of talking with people and I've noticed I tend to be less self-monitoring these days. So, if you want to cure your autism, go out there, make friends, work your tail off in an enthralling venture and take the test again and if you're lucky, you'll have cured it. I'm guessing that many of the medium-to-high scorers on the AQ test here who are not sure or undiagnosed on WP are probably depressed, introverted NTs. They might also have other complicating conditions that may mimic parts of autism, whether it be behaviors or similar social outcomes, like ADHD or Language Disorders or higher-than-average schizophrenic expression.

Personally based on other evidence that I haven't listed here, it's possible I may have ADHD or a significantly higher than average level of ADHD traits.

Mate! an online AQ test is just a guide. If you really think you've found a cure, you have to get your facts right and set up a proper double blind test. Just because you felt a bit depressed 3 months ago and fell better now doesn't prove anything at all. I'm glad you're feeling happier but to claim you've found a cure for autism based on your personal experience over a short 3 month period blows my mind! In fact I'd like to challenge just one person out there, who claims to have cured autism to come up with some scientific proof, and don't tell me some crap about there being a world wide conspiracy to stop people from proving their cure. Yes people seriously believe this too (OMG!) :roll:

bushratcandy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2016, 2:58 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
PersistentTimeStop wrote:

Still don't want to be cured but I do not think AS/Autism can really be put in the same catagory as race or sexual orientation.

I think autism is a bit like being gay or black in that these "minorities" have some difficulty functioning in society because they are different. Also being autistic is part of your identity it affects who you are. I don't think autism needs to be cured, some aspects of being autistic need to be challenged and if possible overcome eg becoming verbal and learning important social skills. But if you teach an autistic child to talk and not put their hands in their pants at the wrong time - they're still autistic :heart: All people can learn, it just takes some of us a bit longer :mrgreen:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2016, 5:16 am

if you can get to a point where your rudeness does not spoil the rest of your day, then it is ok.

i feel a few sensory issues with my autism like sensitivity to scratchy fabrics against my skin, and the stroboscopic effects of sunlight being intermittently blocked by trees on a road i am driving on, or whatever, but that can all be contained if i think about it.
but rudeness is a different thing.

i am hard pressed to calculate whether something i say may be taken as rude, and i can not be bothered worrying because it's not my fault if i am unintentionally rude.

today, i was walking in a supermarket and someone was walking toward me on their travels, and i just clicked my fingers at them and got their attention and then pointed out a route with my index finger that i wished for them to follow, but i just wound up pushing my trolley past theirs because they didn't understand or something and then they became cranky and i ignored them and they left my field of attention and all was well once again.

if one can escape perceived rudeness then it is very good.