Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

Last week I was in a charity shop in Waddington, I was looking for some books to sell on.
There was a woman, some level of learning difficulties, looking for Spanish tutorial. She
said that her boyfriend was Spanish so he wanted to learn.

It made me thing think. For most people, there is a significant amount of people like them
of the opposite sex. It is unlikely her boyfriend is a CEO of some big corporation, but more
likely be a guy with learning difficulties.

Aspies face the situation where there are more aspie men then then woman, resulting in
more aspie men looking for NT woman, considering that aspie woman also have it very hard and
having significant less social skills then NTs then it is hard. But I don't think NTs see it like that .
They probably think all that is needed is to coast through life day to day and the one will turn
up. Aspies face trying to date an opposite, aspies to not face that.

OhNowIGetIt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

It would be so nice to have the kindness of someone who understands, I agree. I have no one to share my aspie-ness with expept my 2 asper-kids and the WP members here. It really isn't enough, but short of wearing a name tag that tells others I'm an Aspie I don't see many ways of finding others who relate.... for any relationship much less dating. Pretty rough going on a single Mom to find a date in the first place let alone hope I find an aspie.

I hope the next time I go into a dating relationship things will go well now that I know about the AS. Last time I got involved in a relationship I didn't know yet... and although it was life changing for me in a good way- it proved to be a dissaster to the relationship and it dissolved.

I was just posting in another thread about if it is a good idea for aspies to be a couple. I wonder about that for myself. A lot. It would be such a comfort to relate to another adult human being, especially a man.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 9:01 am

OhNowIGetIt wrote:
It would be so nice to have the kindness of someone who understands, I agree. I have no one to share my aspie-ness with expept my 2 asper-kids and the WP members here. It really isn't enough, but short of wearing a name tag that tells others I'm an Aspie I don't see many ways of finding others who relate.... for any relationship much less dating. Pretty rough going on a single Mom to find a date in the first place let alone hope I find an aspie.

I hope the next time I go into a dating relationship things will go well now that I know about the AS. Last time I got involved in a relationship I didn't know yet... and although it was life changing for me in a good way- it proved to be a dissaster to the relationship and it dissolved.

I was just posting in another thread about if it is a good idea for aspies to be a couple. I wonder about that for myself. A lot. It would be such a comfort to relate to another adult human being, especially a man.

I know it can be tough on single moms who don't haves As. I dated one, she was sweet but I felt her world was very small, with very few people to share it with. Do you live in London, if so do you know that occasionally we have a geeks get together.I haven't been on any lately because I am usually working. Do you have any special interests. Perhaps going to collage might be a good idea.

OhNowIGetIt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2011, 9:49 am

Ha ha ha! College! I'm still working on paying my student loans from yrs ago! I sure am getting an education home schooling 4 kids! I have many special interest, but none as special as my children. They teach and inspire me but every adult needs more.

I'd love to hang w. geeks in London! Sounds so fun, but alas, I am in the States... or I'd have already PMd you as what you have to say has caught my eye more than once and I've seen we are like minded on many things. Great to have a friend somewhere elese in the world, but sure would be nice to meet someone on my own shore. Every time I come to WP though, I feel a little less alone in the world. Keep seeking and smiling, it will get you far. You have a great attitude! I think it is great that you don't limit yourself to what kind of woman you are willing to meet, having dated a single mom in the past. It takes a strong man to attempt a relationship w. someone who has children, I'm pretty sure not too many men are up for the challenge.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

OhNowIGetIt wrote:
Ha ha ha! College! I'm still working on paying my student loans from yrs ago! I sure am getting an education home schooling 4 kids! I have many special interest, but none as special as my children. They teach and inspire me but every adult needs more.

I'd love to hang w. geeks in London! Sounds so fun, but alas, I am in the States... or I'd have already PMd you as what you have to say has caught my eye more than once and I've seen we are like minded on many things. Great to have a friend somewhere elese in the world, but sure would be nice to meet someone on my own shore. Every time I come to WP though, I feel a little less alone in the world. Keep seeking and smiling, it will get you far. You have a great attitude! I think it is great that you don't limit yourself to what kind of woman you are willing to meet, having dated a single mom in the past. It takes a strong man to attempt a relationship w. someone who has children, I'm pretty sure not too many men are up for the challenge.

I cant pretend, men are happy about helping to support another man's child, but for me if the father was a geek, with similar qualities to my own
that could be a very big plus, considering that even two can be a lonely number.

London meetup are ok. But haven't kept in contact that much, so I wonder if they still do it. I think if I lived in the States, I would have a romantic view of what it is like to live in london, where people are less isolated behind their cars. And houses, shops, parks, and pubs are close together in a cosy kind of way. But it is far aspies, it is still tough as Brits are generally NT like then Americans.

OhNowIGetIt
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Aug 2011, 5:57 pm

You mentioned perhaps getting along with someones child who may have qualities like you, that tells me maybe I'd better try asperdating in future! I've got 2 out of 4 children aspies, they are the best company. True that they might be better accepted and embraced by someone who doesn't expect them to be typical. I never thought of it that way, thanks.

As far as "support" goes, here that means money, we have that, but the kids do need emotional support. Will have to be a strong man, like I said. We've moved thousands of miles away, so though they have a "dad", they don't "have" him here in their day to day lives.

I don't have too many preconcieved ideas about London, just sounds fun to be someplace totally else with an entirely new surrounding. Wait, I just did that when I moved cross-country and it wasn't so fun... well, it is fun in fantasy!

There may be an aspergirl in your part of the world, I hope you find her if that is what will make you happy. I don't know about you, but I'm stumped as to how to find out if one is or isn't, most ppl our age (Im few yrs younger than you) didn't know about this growing up so never learned they were in fact aspies. There may still be many who don't know they are, but they are.