Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 6:40 pm

Sheesh, that sounds like hell. My father used to accuse my sister and I of "waisting" or "hogging" contents of the juice, water, and milk pitchers, when I would only have one glass a day. My drinks of tap water stretched from two a day, to as little as three in a week, as years went by. Only once in a while I get thursty during the day, and at those times I very much enjoy drinking juice and tap water.

So yeah, I wouldn't know.

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 08 Aug 2011, 6:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 6:41 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
pollyfinite wrote:
There is actually a relation with neuroligical disorders and polyuria but I can't find the study. I have this too.

"Cerebral salt wasting"?

- - -

On a person note: when I was younger, up to about my 30's, I had constant thirst, though I think not quite as badly as other posters in this thread. What puzzled me was how I'd be thirsty, but 10 minutes after drinking something would have it all pass out of my system. (It seemed biologically pointless, like I didn't really need the fluid in the first place.) I don't know why, but as I got older it faded away. Never knew what it was.

I think that might be fast metabolism. I used to have hyperthyroidism and water and food just go right through me. :)

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 8:46 pm

I just drank two glasses of tea an hour ago, and now my throat is already irritatingly dry.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 8:50 pm

Something that hadn't occurred to me but is worth mentioning: if you drink a lot of sugared soda (regular, not diet) or put sugar in your coffee, this can dehydrate you and just make you more thirsty.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 11:53 pm

I have heard various health practiconers say that many or most people don't drink enough water and are actually dehydrated. Since most people are NT, maybe what is going on is that us Aspies, sensitive as we are to certain sensations, are just noticing how much water the human body really needs and thus drinking more than dehydrated neurotypicals. Like, we are normal in this regard and it's them that are out of wack!

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 12:13 am

emtyeye wrote:
I have heard various health practiconers say that many or most people don't drink enough water and are actually dehydrated. Since most people are NT, maybe what is going on is that us Aspies, sensitive as we are to certain sensations, are just noticing how much water the human body really needs and thus drinking more than dehydrated neurotypicals. Like, we are normal in this regard and it's them that are out of wack!

That could very well be possible.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 8:43 am

SammichEater wrote:
emtyeye wrote:

That could very well be possible.

My thoughts exactly! Most NTs I know drink a few cans of soda a day and no water and I wonder how on earth they are surviving and happily so. That cannot be healthy.

Also I've noticed many presumed NTs say they hate water and can only drink soda or if it comes to it flavored water or energy drinks. WHAT? The very thought makes me feel sick and parched.

Anyway I don't know why this gets me so worked up but it's weird for this mass amount of human beings to not like water. When did soda become the default drink? And when you ask for water someplace they tell you to buy their ridiculous Aquafina or else give you a tiny cup, as if people drink for enjoyment only and they can't possibly imagine someone enjoying water? I start complaining about this to whoever I'm with every time it happens, which is pretty much anytime I enter a public establishment.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 10:20 am

Callista wrote:
You did get tested for diabetes, right? That's a common symptom....

Take it from an autistic person with diabetes get tested. I take diabetes medicine for it and I still have problems. It is not worth loosing your feet or eyesight.

ParadoxicalVoid
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Aug 2011, 11:26 am

I've had this problem my entire life. I remember it causing me a ton of problems in school (d*** 1-2-3 rule :evil:). My personal theory is that it has a lot to do with the way my brain and body functions. I've always been an extremely hyperactive and anxious person, and all those feelings kind of put my body in a constant over-charged state, which leads to constant tension, stress and an elevated heart-rate. That is what I think causes my thirst problem.

PersistentTimeStop
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2011, 11:36 am

People with diabetes are constantly thirsty.

Might want to get that checked.

Jennnnn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2011, 5:20 pm

I feel the opposite, I'm hardly ever thirsty unless I'm sweating or active and sometimes I get dizzy because I don't drink enough

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 9:19 pm

I lost trust in doctors. They refuse to acknoledge I have a problem and just blame everything on the autism. I've been tested for diabeates over umteen times and it always comes back negetive (I said that in my original post. Don't you people read the original posts?). Only water quinches my thirst. I only drink pop once in a blue moon and I never drink it with the intention of quenching thirst. It's just liquid candy to me.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 10:48 am

I've been tested for diabetes too but someone earlier in the thread said there's a special longer test for diabetes insipidus which is much harder to detect and undetectable by "standard" diabetes testing.

I agree 100% on the soda issue. 99% of what I drink is water. The rest juice.

OH - and I tried out that "how much water should you drink?" calculator and I drink three times as much as the highest recommended level for someone of my characteristics in a day. Personally it doesn't bother me. I just carry water EVERYWHERE> But it is SO FRUSTRATING to have doctors tell you something is normal and not be curious as to the reasons for such a vast anomaly.

EllenDee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Aug 2011, 12:01 pm

emtyeye wrote:

The everyone is dehydrated line is actually an over-repeated falsehood. I'm not sure why people like the idea so much, but the basic story behind it all is that a scientific study showed that the average consumption of liquid in a day was 2 litres - most of which came from food. For some reason, this ended up getting passed around as the minimum amount of clear water required every day, along with the idea in some circles that water included in food and flavored drinks doesn't count. Because few people drink this much, this led to the idea that everyone must be dehydrated.

Whilst I am sure there are some people who don't drink enough, there are plenty of people who never drink plain water who live to a ripe old age.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 12:17 pm

EllenDee wrote:
emtyeye wrote:

The everyone is dehydrated line is actually an over-repeated falsehood. I'm not sure why people like the idea so much, but the basic story behind it all is that a scientific study showed that the average consumption of liquid in a day was 2 litres - most of which came from food. For some reason, this ended up getting passed around as the minimum amount of clear water required every day, along with the idea in some circles that water included in food and flavored drinks doesn't count. Because few people drink this much, this led to the idea that everyone must be dehydrated.

Whilst I am sure there are some people who don't drink enough, there are plenty of people who never drink plain water who live to a ripe old age.

I raise goats and chickens and have seen what they drink. Also there are tables in books about animal husbandry that show how much water each species requires. A goat, which is similar size to a human requires 2-4 liters a day at minimum so it makes sense that a person would need a similar amount. Except we sweat and they don't and we go out in the sun which animals avoid. Also, we eat salty foods and are exposed to more toxins that perhaps we need more water to deal with. And each person is different. If a person has ruled out diabetes as a cause of thirst, I'd say just follow what you body tells you and don't worry about it. And on that note, I'm going for a big glass of ice water!

EllenDee

10 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

emtyeye wrote:
I raise goats and chickens and have seen what they drink. Also there are tables in books about animal husbandry that show how much water each species requires. A goat, which is similar size to a human requires 2-4 liters a day at minimum so it makes sense that a person would need a similar amount.

There are actually huge differences between animals - also, there are huge differences in the amount of water contained in the food. The biggest physiological differences relate to how the body handles waste products from food and metabolism - different types of animals can remove waste products from their body with varying amounts of dilution, leading to high differences in the requirements for liquids. Koala's don't drink at all in normal circumstances, but they are no better model for basing our own water consumption on than any other animal.