Poll: Diagnosed status and view of AS as a disability

Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What is your diagnosis status; Do you think its a disability?
Diagnosed with Asperger's; Yes AS is a disability 38%  38%  [ 33 ]
Diagnosed with Asperger's; No AS is only a difference 18%  18%  [ 16 ]
Self-Diagnosed with AS; Yes AS is a disability 16%  16%  [ 14 ]
Self-diagnosed with AS; No AS is only a difference 16%  16%  [ 14 ]
Diagnosed with other ASD; Yes AS is a disability 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Diagnosed with other ASD; No AS is only a difference 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
NT member; Yes AS is a disability 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
NT member; No AS is only a difference 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 88

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 3:36 am

BassMan_720 wrote:
I'm self diagnosed. To me Impairment = Disability. Just as a paraplegic has impaired mobility I have impaired social ability.

Same here, though I also have non-social stuff that is disabling.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 3:41 am

Ai_Ling wrote:
I believe in the idea of the overall spectrum and that autism is genetic and a maybe different combinations of genes is what forms autism at the varying degree. Its not just NT, then jump to aspergers then autism. Between aspergers and your average NT is more of a gradient. Which people belive is potentially BAP, broader autistic spectrum. They are NTs who have some aspie like traits but much milder and not all the symptoms. Ive have a handful of friends who I believe are BAP. They have it much easier then I do, but they still hold some aspie like traits.

Yes its like we differ in neurology probably for evolutional sakes. Looking at the most usual structure (typical NT) makes it easier to measure the difference. Between me and the typical NT there is a world and we can differ so much that it becomes scary because its getting close to impossible to understand each other. For example their morality or how they switch from one thought to the next cant even be explained to me sometimes. Listening to a typical NT can make me think he/she is completely unlogic and that therefore anything is possible. Scary because too many solutions involves the negative once too.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 6:31 am

It's a different brain structure that also happens to be a disability.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 7:30 am

Quote:
Having said that I genuinly don't think I am disabled because although I know I am different, I have no desire to change. I am quite content with who I am.

My friend with CP, who uses a motorized wheelchair, has told me that she doesn't want a cure for her CP. She knows she's different and she's fine with that. She also considers herself disabled.

Her sort-of boyfriend, who has a spinal injury and uses a manual wheelchair, has gotten into shouting matches with people who want to pray for him to be cured. He finds the idea downright offensive.

Neither of them refuse special help that they need, though. They both ride the disability bus and get accomodations as disabled students. They just don't think needing accomodations is the same as needing a cure.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 8:47 am

I can handle day to day.
I can manage money and am relatively good at keeping myself groomed and healthy.
I can put on an act and fit in - for a while.

But I have also experienced the boss saying: "you've gotta go because people here don't like you" which was mentioned by one of the posters above.
I have also experienced those times where NT family imposes upon me their interpretation of my life: "Oh you must be so lonely"
Or the belief (to the point where it's insulting) that I must feel a certain way about a situation and the parties involved stress that "it's okay to admit it" and ignore the true way I feel.
There remains, also, a canyon... dividing me from any understanding of the concept or value of social standing and social posturing.
Many other issues arise in the "human interaction" side of life.

Now I see the word disability as
"preventing, or demanding substantially more effort, the achievement of desired accomplishments or goals". Were it not required or expected of me to interact with the general populace on more than a minimal level.... I would say it is not a disability.

Considering that, as a member of humanity, in a world where daily integration is the expected norm, and where the majority of services and employments are bound in the cloth of human interaction, I have a difficulty being accepted and understood (especially in the long term, by family, friends, employers, co workers and etc)... I must state that I find it quite difficult to achieve my long term desire to acquire and maintain financial independance (among other things) due to my social impairments. I have in fact been informed (by the "authority" involved) - often directly - that it is my social impairments robbing me of these goals.

Thus... it is a disability.

If I'd been identified sooner, and had some extra training and help, some guidance towards education that would have led me to appropriate (solitary) career training, back when I was young enough that fighting for survival wasn't a daily battle... perhaps I could call my ASD an "inconvenience" ... but as it stands, the problems have compounded, the social mistakes one might overlook in a younger person, and the lack of desire amongst the medical, social, and community officials to assist an older person in repairing the past...

That inconvenience has matured right along with me, and become a problem.

Last edited by OddFiction on 09 Aug 2011, 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

wendigopsychosis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2011, 8:54 am

I think I would literally refer to ASD as a difference. However, it can be a disability. Every case is different, and every person is different. One can turn the disability into a strength with the appropriate amount of self introspection and compensation.

For example, many of my NT friends are far more socially awkward than I am, simply because they aren't as confident. Through learning how to read body language and learning conversational techniques I've boosted my confidence enough to come across as happy and social.

I still need to wear sunglasses wherever I go due to light sensitivity, but eh, you win some, you lose some.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

09 Aug 2011, 11:00 am

Some things about Aspergers I consider good, others I don't really like.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 3:59 pm

A black person living in 1850's USA is "disabled" and has a "difference".

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Aug 2011, 4:15 pm

Phonic wrote:
A black person living in 1850's USA is "disabled" and has a "difference".

No, not the same thing. Oppressed (or in this case enslaved) groups are not disabled because they are oppressed.

You can remove a person from an oppressive environment and they're no longer oppressed. You can move a disabled person into an environment where they are accommodated, but the disability still exists.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

Disabled people can be oppressed as well, though. So, getting rid of the oppression means the disability still exists, but the disabled person is treated as an equal.

I don't think that disability should be considered a negative thing. Right now there's not that much of a space between the idea that disability exists and that disability makes you a target for oppression. If we can widen that space and remove the oppression, then people will stop thinking that the solution for removing oppression is to remove the disability (or perception of disability) from the person.

"If I were NT, people would hire me..." is like a black person saying, "If I were white, people would hire me." Might be true, but it's beside the point. The problem isn't the black skin or the autism; it's that there's prejudice against black skin or autism that's stopping people from hiring perfectly competent workers. We've got to get rid of this idea that if you're disabled, then you'll naturally be an object of pity or a second-class citizen. We got rid of the idea that black people are automatically second-class citizens; we should be doing the same for the disabled.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Aug 2011, 5:02 pm

Callista wrote:
Disabled people can be oppressed as well, though. So, getting rid of the oppression means the disability still exists, but the disabled person is treated as an equal.

Yes, absolutely. I wasn't trying to neglect that point, considering that it is central to my point that it is not like racism.

Quote:
I don't think that disability should be considered a negative thing. Right now there's not that much of a space between the idea that disability exists and that disability makes you a target for oppression. If we can widen that space and remove the oppression, then people will stop thinking that the solution for removing oppression is to remove the disability (or perception of disability) from the person.

Much agreed.

Quote:
"If I were NT, people would hire me..." is like a black person saying, "If I were white, people would hire me." Might be true, but it's beside the point. The problem isn't the black skin or the autism; it's that there's prejudice against black skin or autism that's stopping people from hiring perfectly competent workers. We've got to get rid of this idea that if you're disabled, then you'll naturally be an object of pity or a second-class citizen. We got rid of the idea that black people are automatically second-class citizens; we should be doing the same for the disabled.

Also much agreed.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 5:35 pm

I don't consider it a disability. I'd rather call it a disorder. Disorder implies that something does not match the typical blueprints for the human brain, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. AS sometimes makes things difficult for me, but I still don't see it as disabling and would rather not label it that way.

For the record, I was professionally diagnosed in 1994.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 5:40 pm

There does look to be some correlation here but I don't know if its statistically significant. I'll see if I can find someone who can figure that out for me, as I'm really weak in statistics.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Aug 2011, 7:50 pm

I am diagnosed with Asperger's, and I view it as a difference.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 8:13 pm

OP, are you asking whether I see it as a disability or difference in ME or in people with ASD as a whole?

Because I try hard to only speak for myself, and for me, it's obvious to anyone, sometimes without even having to speak to me, that I have a disability.

As far as people who claim that it's not a disability, I question where their significant impairment is that is necessary for diagnosis. But, to each his own, and I'm not going to get that far into that.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 8:50 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
OP, are you asking whether I see it as a disability or difference in ME or in people with ASD as a whole?

I meant as a whole. Not whether everyone who identifies with AS is disabled, or whether you yourself consider yourself disabled, but whether you associate the diagnosis "Asperger's Syndrome" with a disability.