Poll: Diagnosed status and view of AS as a disability

Page 3 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

What is your diagnosis status; Do you think its a disability?
Diagnosed with Asperger's; Yes AS is a disability 38%  38%  [ 33 ]
Diagnosed with Asperger's; No AS is only a difference 18%  18%  [ 16 ]
Self-Diagnosed with AS; Yes AS is a disability 16%  16%  [ 14 ]
Self-diagnosed with AS; No AS is only a difference 16%  16%  [ 14 ]
Diagnosed with other ASD; Yes AS is a disability 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Diagnosed with other ASD; No AS is only a difference 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
NT member; Yes AS is a disability 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
NT member; No AS is only a difference 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 88

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 9:03 pm

It varies from person to person.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2011, 5:25 pm

Ettina wrote:
Quote:
Having said that I genuinly don't think I am disabled because although I know I am different, I have no desire to change. I am quite content with who I am.

Her sort-of boyfriend, who has a spinal injury and uses a manual wheelchair, has gotten into shouting matches with people who want to pray for him to be cured. He finds the idea downright offensive.

Neither of them refuse special help that they need, though. They both ride the disability bus and get accomodations as disabled students. They just don't think needing accomodations is the same as needing a cure.

What an A-hole.

I'm sure they will feel different when the welfare state collapses, and they can't leech off the productive people any longer.

I think some people don't want to be cured because they enjoy being taken care of and don't want the stress and responsibility of being a normal adult.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Aug 2011, 5:34 pm

Molecular_Biologist wrote:
What an A-hole.

I'm sure they will feel different when the welfare state collapses, and they can't leech off the productive people any longer.

I think some people don't want to be cured because they enjoy being taken care of and don't want the stress and responsibility of being a normal adult.

Always someone trying to get a dig in about "leeching off the welfare state." Just pray you don't end up in the circumstance of needing such assistance, because it may give you an entirely new outlook.

Also, dude's not an a***hole just because he doesn't people to pray to cure him.

Anyway, welfare is nowhere near collapsing the state. Social security isn't even part of the actual national budget but its own fund. If welfare goes away, it's because a***hole politicians voted it away, not because the state collapsed.

If the state collapsed, more than just people with disabilities will suffer.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2011, 5:53 pm

Verdandi wrote:

Always someone trying to get a dig in about "leeching off the welfare state." Just pray you don't end up in the circumstance of needing such assistance, because it may give you an entirely new outlook.

Shove it.

I would accept any kind of cure to prevent myself from being dependent on others.

Even it that meant being a mindless cubicle drone and no longer a "unique snowflake"

Under no circumstances would I ever force people to accept my "differences", and then force them to hand over their paycheck for the sake of my "differences."

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 5:59 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Phonic wrote:
A black person living in 1850's USA is "disabled" and has a "difference".

You can remove a person from an oppressive environment and they're no longer oppressed. You can move a disabled person into an environment where they are accommodated, but the disability still exists.

I don't agree - it's not true of all disability.

For example, a dwarf is certainly disabled in our world, but what about a town made just for little people? suddenly they don't seem so disabled.

If you think this is simply an accomodation and that they are still disabled, then doesn't that mean Earth itself is just one big accomodation for the human race - who are disabled since they cannot survive in space? (and that ryhmes).

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Aug 2011, 6:04 pm

Shove it.

I would accept any kind of cure to prevent myself from being dependent on others.

Even it that meant being a mindless cubicle drone and no longer a "unique snowflake"

Under no circumstances would I ever force people to accept my "differences", and then force them to hand over their paycheck for the sake of my "differences."

Oh, pile on the melodrama, why don't you? No one is handing their paychecks over to people on welfare. At best, any given person you see who is on welfare might be getting a fraction of a single cent from any taxes you pay. That's one of the things the taxes are for.

Why is it that the people most against public assistance are the least informed about how it works?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 6:04 pm

Shove it.

Being disabled doesn't necessarily mean that people don't work and monetarily support themselves.

I'd rather be myself than a cubicle drone who is miserable with life but must work constantly in order to get the most money because money is the definition of success when I can survive off of $700 a month + medical insurance.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 6:06 pm

Verdandi wrote:

Shove it.

Then move to Somalia. You can keep every precious penny of you paycheck, and then blow your brains out when you're too old to to work or take care of yourself.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 6:07 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
As far as people who claim that it's not a disability, I question where their significant impairment is that is necessary for diagnosis. But, to each his own, and I'm not going to get that far into that.

"But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." -Einstein

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2011, 6:10 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Shove it.

Then move to Somalia. You can keep every precious penny of you paycheck, and then blow your brains out when you're too old to to work or take care of yourself.

No I think I stay here and keep insulting the parasites for the worthless loosers they are.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 6:11 pm

Phonic wrote:
I don't agree - it's not true of all disability.

For example, a dwarf is certainly disabled in our world, but what about a town made just for little people? suddenly they don't seem so disabled.

If you think this is simply an accomodation and that they are still disabled, then doesn't that mean Earth itself is just one big accomodation for the human race - who are disabled since they cannot survive in space? (and that ryhmes).

Some people with dwarfism also have back problems and fine motor difficulties, and making a town their size won't fix that - never mind that you've now moved dwarfs into another community away from everyone else, and the rest of the world still[ doesn't accommodate them.

I think you're reaching, though. A purely social model of disability doesn't work for most people, but neither does a purely medical model. Accommodations can make it easier to live with disabilities, but many simply can't be eliminated.

And no, it doesn't mean Earth itself is just one big accommodation because not being able to survive in space is not a disability. As I said before (I don't remember if it was this thread) most people are accommodated with transportation, furniture, housing, stores, etc. It's just that those accommodations are seen as natural and normal because they supply needs for everyone.

But pure social model of disability is far too utopian.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2011, 6:12 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Shove it.

Being disabled doesn't necessarily mean that people don't work and monetarily support themselves.

I'd rather be myself than a cubicle drone who is miserable with life but must work constantly in order to get the most money because money is the definition of success when I can survive off of $700 a month + medical insurance.

I'm not talking about you.

I'm talking about the disabled who curse those who are hoping to cure them, and yet still demand to be financially supported by others.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 6:13 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Shove it.

There are cubicle drones who have disabilities.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2011, 6:15 pm

Verdandi wrote:

Oh, pile on the melodrama, why don't you? No one is handing their paychecks over to people on welfare. At best, any given person you see who is on welfare might be getting a fraction of a single cent from any taxes you pay. That's one of the things the taxes are for.

Why is it that the people most against public assistance are the least informed about how it works?

There are $61 trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities to the US federal government because of out of control entitlement spending.

Its not a fraction of a cent, financial Armageddon is near at hand.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 6:15 pm

No I think I stay here and keep insulting the parasites for the worthless loosers they are.

So people who can't work are losers? Interesting.

What will you do if you can't work? When retirement comes will you go on social security or will you refuse to be a "parasite?"

You seem to play the "pity me" card an awful lot around here - I remember multiple posts from you describing how horrible things are for you because you are autistic. I'll keep what you've said here in mind, though. If those "parasites" are "worthless losers" who need to be insulted, it's pretty clear someone in your position doesn't deserve even the pretense of sympathy. Suck it up and quit bitching.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 6:19 pm

There are $61 trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities to the US federal government because of out of control entitlement spending.

Its not a fraction of a cent, financial Armageddon is near at hand.

"Why is it that the people most against public assistance are the least informed about how it works?"

Right. It has nothing to do with out of control military spending, refusals to tax corporations or wealthy people basically anything (some of the wealthiest corporations in the US received tax return payments last year, and every year for some time now), bailouts for these same corporations who - with no oversight - spent the US into a financial crisis under the Bush administration.