Poll: Diagnosed status and view of AS as a disability

Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

What is your diagnosis status; Do you think its a disability?
Diagnosed with Asperger's; Yes AS is a disability 38%  38%  [ 33 ]
Diagnosed with Asperger's; No AS is only a difference 18%  18%  [ 16 ]
Self-Diagnosed with AS; Yes AS is a disability 16%  16%  [ 14 ]
Self-diagnosed with AS; No AS is only a difference 16%  16%  [ 14 ]
Diagnosed with other ASD; Yes AS is a disability 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Diagnosed with other ASD; No AS is only a difference 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
NT member; Yes AS is a disability 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
NT member; No AS is only a difference 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 88

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2011, 6:23 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Molecular_Biologist wrote:
No I think I stay here and keep insulting the parasites for the worthless loosers they are.

So people who can't work are losers? Interesting.

What will you do if you can't work? When retirement comes will you go on social security or will you refuse to be a "parasite?"

You seem to play the "pity me" card an awful lot around here - I remember multiple posts from you describing how horrible things are for you because you are autistic. I'll keep what you've said here in mind, though. If those "parasites" are "worthless losers" who need to be insulted, it's pretty clear someone in your position doesn't deserve even the pretense of sympathy. Suck it up and quit bitching.

The focus of my attacks are not on the disabled or people who cannot work in general.

I'm tired of people who have AS or are otherwise disabled cursing those who pray for cures and attacking scientific research into developing treatments to eliminate the disabling condition.

Especially when they then turn around and demand public assistance because of the condition they dont want cured.

Its a disgusting form of imposition.

If you are so damn special, then take care of yourself.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Aug 2011, 6:23 pm

Top 5 Social Security Myths

Quote:
Myth: Social Security is going broke.

Reality: There is no Social Security crisis. By 2023, Social Security will have a $4.3 trillion surplus (yes, trillion with a 'T'). It can pay out all scheduled benefits for the next quarter-century with no changes whatsoever.1 After 2037, it'll still be able to pay out 75% of scheduled benefits--and again, that's without any changes. The program started preparing for the Baby Boomers retirement decades ago.2 Anyone who insists Social Security is broke probably wants to break it themselves.

Myth: Social Security adds to the deficit

Reality: It's not just wrong -- it's impossible! By law, Social Security funds are separate from the budget, and it must pay its own way. That means that Social Security can't add one penny to the deficit

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2011, 6:30 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Top 5 Social Security Myths

Quote:
Myth: Social Security is going broke.

Reality: There is no Social Security crisis. By 2023, Social Security will have a $4.3 trillion surplus (yes, trillion with a 'T'). It can pay out all scheduled benefits for the next quarter-century with no changes whatsoever.1 After 2037, it'll still be able to pay out 75% of scheduled benefits--and again, that's without any changes. The program started preparing for the Baby Boomers retirement decades ago.2 Anyone who insists Social Security is broke probably wants to break it themselves.

Myth: Social Security adds to the deficit

Reality: It's not just wrong -- it's impossible! By law, Social Security funds are separate from the budget, and it must pay its own way. That means that Social Security can't add one penny to the deficit

Pure political propaganda.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 6:31 pm

If were talking about government spending here, then I have one thing to say.

Get us out of the war on "terrorism."

^^ That is the biggest waste of money you could ever imagine. We spend money to send troops over there, so that our troops can give away money to them. "Helping" them is a lost cause to begin with. They've been a fifth world country for a thousand years, and nothing we ever do will change that.

There's places to cut the budget that are way more effective than dropping social security and SSI.

Last edited by SammichEater on 11 Aug 2011, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Aug 2011, 6:36 pm

Molecular_Biologist wrote:
Pure political propaganda.

The linked article has eight citations. Check them out.

Also, anyone who even understands basic economics or accounting knows that Social Security is a separate fund and not part of the national budget. That's the whole point of FICA - to fund Social Security. Which means that it has nothing to do with the budget.

SammichEater,

Racist language violates the WP posting rules. I agree with you that the war on terror has been hemorrhaging money for the past 10 years, but I can't really agree with the ideological stance that you've attached to it because it's, well, pretty racist.

And this thread is going into PPR territory.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 6:44 pm

Verdandi wrote:
SammichEater,

Racist language violates the WP posting rules. I agree with you that the war on terror has been hemorrhaging money for the past 10 years, but I can't really agree with the ideological stance that you've attached to it because it's, well, pretty racist.

And this thread is going into PPR territory.

Sorry. I edited that part out. I have very strong opinions about this; my dad has been over to Afghanistan, and he knows exactly how they live. It is utmost disgusting.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2011, 6:56 pm

SammichEater wrote:
^^ That is the biggest waste of money you could ever imagine. We spend money to send troops over there, so that our troops can give away money to them. "Helping" them is a lost cause to begin with. They've been a fifth world country for a thousand years, and nothing we ever do will change that.

The war on terror has turned into a global welfare program.

Scandium
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Orange County, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster

11 Aug 2011, 7:06 pm

Wow, this thread got derailed...

I think AS is both. It's a difference, but it is also disabling.

You could imagine blindness as a difference; many people who are blind have other senses that have become overpowered because of the blindness. But it still stops them from seeing.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 9:44 pm

Scandium wrote:
Wow, this thread got derailed...

I think AS is both. It's a difference, but it is also disabling.

You could imagine blindness as a difference; many people who are blind have other senses that have become overpowered because of the blindness. But it still stops them from seeing.

When I posted this thread I wasn't trying say at all that it wasn't a difference. I can't imagine someone trying to argue that AS isn't a difference. The question is whether along with being a difference it is a disability :). But I can see how I wasn't clear about that in my OP.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 7:43 am

Um, my friend's boyfriend actually has a job lined up as soon as he finishes university, and my friend is hoping to get a job as well. Both of them have good prospects for being able to contribute quite a bit to society.

Your sum total of worth as a human being isn't decided by whether or not you can dress yourself without assistance.

Personally I'd say how accepting you are of differences is a better measure...

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 7:47 am

I chose the first option, although I don't have the final diagnosis yet. I'm pretty certain, though. We already got the assessment and tests done, just waiting for doctor to write the report, but she's taking 3 weeks off so I have to wait until next month. I don't think I'm "undiagnosed" any more, though. :)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 7:57 am

OK, ran it through SPSS.

A one-way ANOVA spat out a significance of .289, which is non-significant, but the smallest group is 3 subjects and that's pretty much useless for any stats. So I lumped 'diagnosed other ASD' with 'diagnosed AS' and ran an independent T-test, and found that significance for difference of means was .134 (also not significant). So as far as we can tell, there's no relationship between whether or not you're diagnosed and whether you classify AS as a disability or a difference. The self-diagnosed group was only 23 people, though, and ideal sample size is over 30, so maybe a larger sample would show something.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 10:19 am

Ettina wrote:
OK, ran it through SPSS.

A one-way ANOVA spat out a significance of .289, which is non-significant, but the smallest group is 3 subjects and that's pretty much useless for any stats. So I lumped 'diagnosed other ASD' with 'diagnosed AS' and ran an independent T-test, and found that significance for difference of means was .134 (also not significant). So as far as we can tell, there's no relationship between whether or not you're diagnosed and whether you classify AS as a disability or a difference. The self-diagnosed group was only 23 people, though, and ideal sample size is over 30, so maybe a larger sample would show something.

I was also lumping "diagnosed with other ASD" with "diagnosed AS", and was viewing "diagnosed" vs "self diagnosed" only.

I'd like actually having a larger sample size but that requires getting more people to answer.