Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Sep 2006, 2:44 am

this is wot I've made now:

http://passagepad.blogspot.com/

it seems to me to be much better and cheaper and EZer than what is out there (the logical conclusion, really) but the hangup is finding someone to test it and see if it actually heals a bedwound. I'm willing to GIVE a few away just to see how they do but nurses seem to dislike me profoundly at the moment (dont show empathy?, Ironic because this could heal masses)..........also paperwork for medicare billing ect, zero interest.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 3:25 am

I wish I could help...it does look like a good product.I dont have much experience with alternative products but I do work with DD clients in a residential setting.We do have one client who has had problems with skin sores but this tend to be caused by the idiotic transfer pads...may want to work on one of these some day...the client is put in them,bare skined and they are designed with the some kind of "Plastic"material that cause blisters(client is 200pds and cant support their own weight at all.)

Your web site looks very professional as well....small critic,if I may....you may want to change ...Pee...to Urine?

anyway...goodluck with sales...If hospitals would only look at the long term savings of having to treat bed sores

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 8:26 am

That's interesting!

Is this because you lack the know-how to do it?

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Sep 2006, 9:37 am

krex- thanks. a plan is to integrate hoyer lift type straps into the pad so the patient never has to move off it, just disconnect the air hoses (or not) and connect the hoyer straps (could be in the washability opening if it should deflate 1st...)...

larsenjw92286- tried to show it once so far, when I went to a nursing home that I used to set up air loss mattresses at, the nursing staff was looking at me like I murdered someone or something. I dont know why other than I had just been laid off by the air matt. company (2 days after telling my boss that inanimate objects fall off the mattresses if they are not centered-thought they would want to know!). Yes, though, you're right. I don't know how to do it and suspect it will take people skills. Google ads and eBay arent working, people need to see it to undertand? and also people who need it aren't on the net?

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 9:44 am

Is this your real life or are you just pretending?

If I have no idea of your matter, then I don't know what you're talking about.

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Sep 2006, 10:25 am

it can easily have handles on the sides so now it is a transfer pad too!
If it ever is successful & I forget your kindness, just cut thru the incontinence paparazzi and remind me. = ) I dont take it for granted.

larsenjw92286, mmmmmmm....i dont know what you are talking about ...

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 11:44 am

I don't know if what you're talking about is true or makes sense.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2006, 11:58 am

i use to washdishes in a nursing home for a few months, man was it terrible. old people scare me and one of them told me the older you get the less pain you feel and she actually bite her arm right infront of me and didn't flintch. 8O

HDIGhere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Sep 2006, 2:52 pm

What about teaming up with a trustworthy medical spokeperson?

Then both of you set up appointments then go to different homes/business places (private or public) and demonstrate your invention.

Then leave a brochure and follow-up information e.g business card etc.

You have invented!

Now don't give up. You can do it!

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2006, 10:44 am

HDIGhere,

thanks, the supportiveness does help. Feels nice.

Ultimately, if this really does heal bed sores (I know it drains incontinence......from water experiments = ) ), it seemed a good course to offer the certified nursing assistants some sort of good pay and commision to do just what you suggested. They are on the front lines and choose to care for people w. no glamour and low pay. I'm willing to share. Might be a win win situation. I am an outsider, they are insiders.

But who am I to suggest something like that? There may be some hard feelings that I thought of the idea? Or that I should tell profesionals how it should be done? Something has poisoned the water with that community........there is literally one person who seems to be giving me the benefit of the doubt right now....

did contact a venture capital firm......

krex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 3:45 pm

I have no real "brain" for business...barely made it through accounting class in college,but I do know a few things about the medical system in USA.They hate change.They fight "novelty" as if their life depended on it.

The problem with using CNA's as promoters(though I love the idea and it is logical)Is that we get no repect from administraters who make the decessions.They often come up with their own new ideas,that are impractical and based on their lack of knowledge of how the daily tasks are done....but you cant tell them anything.If you challenge the practical application of their "new idea" you are just being lazy and not a "team player"If a patient is getting bedsores it is because the staff are not doing their job properly because the system of having staff "rotate the residents every few hours and change their briefs every two-to-four hours should prevent this problem.They dont take into account that the client doesnt want to be woken up every few hours,gets very upset and loses sleep.They dont account for some of the staff that are just to lazy to do this because the wages are so low and accountablity non-existent(this is the exception but does happen)they will never admit that they are understaffed or have hires unqualified staff to keep the cost down.

Another problem is how "products" get picked by the company...there are kick backs and a product has to be "OKed" by the insurence companys who want to see some hard scientific proof(research)that this product is going to save them money.Money talks in this business world not the comfort of the patient.They are not going to invest money in something just because it makes the lives of the CNAs easier or the patient more comfortable .If a bed sore leads to an expensive surgery ,they might pay for it but if it just prolongs the quality of life(unless they have to pay for the funeral)I dont think they care.

so,there is my cynical rant.I do think this is a good product and has potential but I wouldnt hesitate to get backing from a "business" company,to promote this product...I think it is probably the only way...I look forward to watching the "infomercial" for this product when it comes out...the private secter maybe more open minded.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2006, 4:35 pm

I think it's no longer possible to actually invent something nowadays, as it once was. In the golden age of inventions (about 1870's to 1940's), money wasn't as big a deal as it is now. Thomas Edison, Alexander Bell, and other people we fondly remember could do what they did only because of the inventor-friendly environment they lived in. Back then, companies would gladly consider a new product, simply because it could be good; the appeal was in the possibility of the product. These same people would simply crash and burn in today's business world. People no longer create inventions; corporations do. For instance, can anyone name the person who invented the iPod, the WiFi technogy, or the SmartPhone? If anyone tries to invent something nowadays, it'll get either stolen by a big corporation or brushed off into the reject pile. Sorry to be so cynical, but there's a reason why it's hard to promote an invention nowadays, and this is it. It's not your fault, it's the unfriendly business environment we all live in.

Last edited by Aspie1 on 07 Sep 2006, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HDIGhere

06 Sep 2006, 4:50 pm

Hey, have you spoken to a lawyer to find out the process to have your product identified as yours. . . before someone who has money takes the concept and runs with it while you are trying to get on the market?

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2006, 1:27 pm

HDIGhere - you can write a provisional patent and a 100$ check and you are 'patent pending.' a book called "patent it yourself" nolo press, lays it all out and has templates you can follow, not to hard at all. then you have one year to submit the full patent, and 500$. a former chevron patent attorney looked over mine and said it was good, just do a patent search...pros cost $200. you can also search at the patent offices web site, there were about 500 patents in the search for inflatabe and incontinence, one might have a slim chance of possibly affecting the low air loss feature but it is definately arguable....

Aspie1 - I'm gonna do my best to prove you wrong = ) also invented surf fins that fold flat against the bottom of a surf kayak for getting off the beach, and then back out when on a wave, also a song that is identical forward or reverse (with 'lyrics'), also something else that i cant mention just now. So there are still many possibilities...individuals file patents every day.

krex- you are just so, so right. and right on as well. maybe the best thing to do right now is to find someone with a bedsore in Oregon, which doesn't subsidize like Ca medical does, who needs this product, and give it to them free and see if it heals. if it does then find a way to a clinical trial...

Interesting how much we tend to care for people as they enter this life, and how little we care as they leave it.

thanks again for your insightful insights.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 1:32 pm

Now, I understand what you're asking about.

It's a wonder I did in the first place!

You're welcome, by the way!

HDIGhere

08 Sep 2006, 4:02 pm

8 wrote:
HDIGhere - you can write a provisional patent and a 100$ check and you are 'patent pending.' a book called "patent it yourself" nolo press, lays it all out and has templates you can follow, not to hard at all. then you have one year to submit the full patent, and 500$. a former chevron patent attorney looked over mine and said it was good, just do a patent search...pros cost $200. you can also search at the patent offices web site, there were about 500 patents in the search for inflatabe and incontinence, one might have a slim chance of possibly affecting the low air loss feature but it is definately arguable....

Interesting how much we tend to care for people as they enter this life, and how little we care as they leave it.

thanks again for your insightful insights.

8 I am glad to know that you have the information in relation to patent as it applies to your country.

In terms of caring for people as they enter this life etc. I think added to the middle of that sentence is "if individuals have special needs or will be dependent on their parents/caregiver for life they are threated like the lowest ever."

8 people like you will invent and will get your breakthrough -I believe in seasons-