Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

PlatypusMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Sep 2006, 4:07 am

Is there any possibly way to change the system BIOS password. I had created to prevent my siblings from messing with my computer...but I have forgotten it.

sparkman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2006, 4:49 am

I think you would have to reset the CMOS with a jumper on your motherboard, that would also reset all your bios settings to default.

overflow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2006, 4:49 am

You'll have to look up the specific way to do that for your particular motherboard model or system model. If you post the model # I'd be happy to find you a link (assuming one exists).

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2006, 10:14 pm

PlatypusMan wrote:
Is there any possibly way to change the system BIOS password. I had created to prevent my siblings from messing with my computer...but I have forgotten it.

A program that I used and got good result very often is cmospwd

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2006, 12:58 pm

take the button-cell battery off the motherboard & let the computer sit unplugged for at least an hour or so. You will also need to program in all you other settings back.

tweeks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2006, 6:29 pm

depending on the motherboard, there may be a jumper you can remove to avoid having to take out the batt. But if you dont know where the jumper is you can take the battery out for 30seconds to clear the bios. Make sure the computer is unplugged and you've grounded yourself before touching the motherboard. A good idea if you have a switch on the back of your computer for the power supply is to switch the power supply off and touch the powersupply casing to remove any static charge. If you dont have a switch for the PS, just touch a faucet head or something that's grounded.