Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 1:42 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWg-rLYcO7o&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 2:17 am

they cost so damn much and no one wants to execute any of them so why not?

They didn't pass that legislation in Arizona to put illegal immigrants in jails to do work like building fences along the border. They passed it to cut down on the number of illegal immigrants in the state and detour illegal immigration.

Corporatism is not healthy for society, especially state backed corporatism also known in china, venezuela, russia, and saudi arabia as state capitalism.

I don't agree with the increase of private prisons at all, I am against the three strike rule, marijuana and a whole host of criminal activity should be decriminalized, but if you want to call them slaves then come up with a new word to describe human beings who are trafficked for sex or harsh labor or what I and normal people think of when the word slavery is used... morons

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 2:17 am

I tried to get people riled up about this a few months back with a slew of Reason articles on the outrageous ways the justice system has been perverted. It didn't take as well as I'd have hoped, but good luck to you with it.

Here's a link to the source material I was using when I tried it, it's nasty but informative reading.

http://reason.com/issues/july-2011

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Aug 2011, 2:46 am

Cenk describing corporatism at the end was pretty good there.

The sad thing about a lot of prisons is that they support whole towns. Ending our ridiculous drug war and our bloated prison system a long with would be seen as a job killer to a lot of people in this country.

TheSnarkKnight
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2011, 8:32 am

[quote="Jacoby"]Cenk describing corporatism at the end was pretty good there.

The sad thing about a lot of prisons is that they support whole towns. Ending our ridiculous drug war and our bloated prison system a long with would be seen as a job killer to a lot of people in this country.[/quote

On the other hand, ending the drug war, or even just legalizing marijuana would create new jobs and a new consumer market.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 8:49 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:

That is true, but the problem (as they point out) is that a few benefit from the taxpayers.

You and I pay taxes to cover the cost of incarceration.

The select few run these private prisons (paid by the taxpayers).

That prison then "hires out" prison labor or operate prison factories which then gets more and more contracts over competitors but THEY get the profits. It doesn't subsidize the cost of incarceration.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 9:10 am

Dox47 wrote:
I tried to get people riled up about this a few months back with a slew of Reason articles on the outrageous ways the justice system has been perverted. It didn't take as well as I'd have hoped, but good luck to you with it.

I remember your efforts there, and maybe I should have listened more closely.

My hometown paper published this just this morning ...

Quote:
Q: Isn't killing someone the worst thing you can do under the law? Why do drug dealers get longer sentences?

A: "Criminal penalties are a legislative decision, and they sometimes do not seem proportional to the harm caused," said Schumm. "Property crimes and drug offenses are often punished more severely than crimes that involve serious injury or even death to people.

"Just about every year the [Indiana] General Assembly enhances the penalty for one or more crimes, sometimes in response to a specific case where the penalty seemed too low. This comes at a cost, though. The Pew Center study last year was crafted into a legislative proposal (SB 561) to make theft and drug offenses more graduated. The proponents of the legislation thought we were putting too many non-violent people in prison for too long, which costs a lot of money and will require new prisons if it continues. It did not pass because of very vocal opposition by prosecutors," Schumm said.

"The C felony penalty (2-8 years) for failure to stop is similar to the C felony penalty for involuntary manslaughter, reckless homicide," or operating a vehicle while intoxicated "causing death (if the person does not have a prior and is under 0.15 BAC - either of which make it a B felony). A person is dead in all those offenses, but the defendant is thought to be less culpable than in a murder (an intentional killing - 45 to 65 years) or voluntary manslaughter (an intentional killing under sudden heat - 20 to 50 years if a weapon is used).

"A person who forges a check for $10 can similarly be charged with a C felony, and a person who has three grams of cocaine within 1,000 feet of a school can be charged with an A felony (20-50 years)," Schumm pointed out.

"People upset about the penalties for this or any offense should contact their legislators. They are the only people who can alter the penalty ranges. Increasing the penalties for this or other crimes, though, means more government spending for prisons. It also means that a person who could be working and paying taxes is instead sitting in a prison cell costing taxpayers about $20,000/year."

http://www.etruth.com/Know/News/Story.aspx?ID=546611

I doubt that will help make sense of all of this, but there certainly does seem to be something screwy going on somewhere.

Maybe drug dealers make better workers than do murderers?

number5
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

leejosepho wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

I remember your efforts there, and maybe I should have listened more closely.

Same here.

Here's a little gem from my state that I read today:

Quote:
Pa. judge gets 28 years in 'kids for cash' case

Published - Aug 11 2011 09:31AM EST

By MICHAEL RUBINKAM - Associated Press

SCRANTON, Pa. — A longtime northeastern Pennsylvania judge has been ordered to spend nearly three decades in prison for his role in a massive juvenile justice bribery scandal that prompted the state's high court to toss thousands of convictions.

Former Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella Jr. was sentenced Thursday to 28 years in federal prison for taking $1 million in bribes from the builder of a pair of juvenile detention centers in a case that became known as "kids-for-cash."

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court tossed about 4,000 convictions issued by Ciavarella between 2003 and 2008, saying he violated the constitutional rights of the juveniles, including the right to legal counsel and the right to intelligently enter a plea.

Ciavarella, 61, was tried and convicted of racketeering charges earlier this year. His attorneys had asked for a "reasonable" sentence in court papers, saying, in effect, that he's already been punished enough.

"The media attention to this matter has exceeded coverage given to many and almost all capital murders, and despite protestation, he will forever be unjustly branded as the `Kids for Cash' judge," their sentencing memo said.

Federal prosecutors accused Ciavarella and a second judge, Michael Conahan, of taking more than $2 million in bribes from the builder of the PA Child Care and Western PA Child Care detention centers and extorting hundreds of thousands of dollars from the facilities' co-owner.

Ciavarella, known for his harsh and autocratic courtroom demeanor, filled the beds of the private lockups with children as young as 10, many of them first-time offenders convicted of petty theft and other minor crimes.

The judge remained defiant after his arrest, insisting the payments were legal and denying he incarcerated youths for money.

The jury returned a mixed verdict following a February trial, convicting him of 12 counts, including racketeering and conspiracy, and acquitting him of 27 counts, including extortion. The guilty verdicts related to a payment of $997,600 from the builder.

Conahan, meanwhile, pleaded guilty last year and awaits sentencing.

Such an outrage. I love the bit in the bold about the "unjust" branding of this judge, as is there's some false persecution going on here. Like we're supposed to feel bad for this guy.

(Just figured out how to block it. So much nicer than italics :) )

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 11:28 am

TheSnarkKnight wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Cenk describing corporatism at the end was pretty good there.

The sad thing about a lot of prisons is that they support whole towns. Ending our ridiculous drug war and our bloated prison system a long with would be seen as a job killer to a lot of people in this country.[/quote

On the other hand, ending the drug war, or even just legalizing marijuana would create new jobs and a new consumer market.

Yes it certainly would...besides it should not be a crim to smoke marijuana.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 2:28 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:

They didn't pass that legislation in Arizona to put illegal immigrants in jails to do work like building fences along the border. They passed it to cut down on the number of illegal immigrants in the state and detour illegal immigration.

Corporatism is not healthy for society, especially state backed corporatism also known in china, venezuela, russia, and saudi arabia as state capitalism.

I don't agree with the increase of private prisons at all, I am against the three strike rule, marijuana and a whole host of criminal activity should be decriminalized, but if you want to call them slaves then come up with a new word to describe human beings who are trafficked for sex or harsh labor or what I and normal people think of when the word slavery is used... morons

Probably because the the tremendously uneven playing field having private prisons that get subsidized by the government exempt from paying workers ANYTHING compete against normal businesses creates.

"Forced labor is when an individual is forced to work against their will, under threat of violence or other punishment, with restrictions on their freedom.[10] It is also used to describe all types of slavery and may also include institutions not commonly classified as slavery, such as serfdom, conscription and penal labor."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery#Forced_labor

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 8:21 am

number5 wrote:
... I love the bit in the bold about the "unjust" branding of this judge, as is there's some false persecution going on here. Like we're supposed to feel bad for this guy.

Many years ago, a judge in the Florida Keys began ordering people to wear ankle-bracelet "tethers" ... and it was then discovered he was the owner of the company supplying them!

number5
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 8:27 am

leejosepho wrote:
number5 wrote:
... I love the bit in the bold about the "unjust" branding of this judge, as is there's some false persecution going on here. Like we're supposed to feel bad for this guy.

Many years ago, a judge in the Florida Keys began ordering people to wear ankle-bracelet "tethers" ... and it was then discovered he was the owner of the company supplying them!

Shocking! :P

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 8:29 am

number5 wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
number5 wrote:

Shocking! :P

... and as I recall, he then quit the bench so he could continue his pursuit.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 9:33 am

leejosepho wrote:
number5 wrote:

Same deal with the "body scanners" now in airports. Chertoff (sp?) who was head of Homeland Security is a major stockholder...and he pushed employing these before leaving DHS.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 9:34 am

leejosepho wrote:
number5 wrote:

Same with the body scanners now in the airports. Chertoff (sp?) is a major stockholder in the company that makes them and he pushed for them to be employed at airports while he was head of DHS.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 10:54 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:

I'm all for bringing the chain gangs back and making prison as hellish as possible (I'm talking like third world prisons) but I'm not so sure about privatized prisons anymore after hearing about kids for cash.