Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

qwerty12345
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2011, 6:58 am

I just joined yesterday and am a black woman dx'd Aspergers almost a month ago.

I have gone through so much abuse from other African Americans in life for being who I am (bullied, beaten up, made fun of openly by blacks, even at work, to this day). Dating is a total failure for me as I only attract predatory and abusive type black men because of some of the Aspie traits I display I suppose. I also dropped out of college back when because of social drama (involving a black woman who humiliated me over a man...long story).

Any other black women here and do you feel you go through issues specific to being black as well as Aspie?

memesplice
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 9:17 am

Sorry, white male and live in UK :)

But....

Hi and genuine welcome. Bullying is bad anywhere for whatever reason. We do not have bullies here .

Safe.:)

paperoceans
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2011, 10:08 am

Hello,

I'm Black 8)

Stargazer2893
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2011, 4:35 pm

I'm black, just found this place today! I'm not sure if I’m an aspie, but I've been deemed 'different' enough to understand what you went through. I do know that I'm an INTP, extremely introverted. My all-time low was during my stint in the US Navy. Just awful. I attract weirdos & freaks too (NOT the fun kind). I was lucky enough to meet a very understanding man, and I married him. I HATED dating with a passion. My life has gotten a lot better, but I still haven't been able to make friends. Still working on that.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 Aug 2011, 11:10 pm

I am white/cherokee, but I hung out alot with black folks in middle school, high school, and college and I have noticed that blacks who are different have a really hard time of it from your own people. There is a reason for this.
During slavery there was a sort of slave owener overseer, I forgot his name, but he trained slave owners to cause much division between the slaves as possible causing african americans to divide themselves by lighter/darker skin tone, those who are built differently, men and women, tall/short, hair types..etc...any consievable difference possible. Anyway he said that for one thousand years or so, even if slaves won their freedom, they would not be able to unite.

I still see this posion working today. I really hate what has been done, but there has to be a movement to unify the black comunity for this crabs in a bucket behavior to end by a recognition of how it became part of the black culture in the first place.
However it takes recognition of what is wrong to fix something.

Anyway,
I hate that you had such a hard life because of your neurological differences, but welcome to WP!! where differences are exuberantly celebrated, sometimes further encouraged :wink: However, politics can be a heated topic for some here but they usualy keep their opinions in the PPR and news threads.

Btw, I am Jojo

you can pm me if you want

Whispering
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2011, 2:16 am

Hi qwerty, I'm black and female and somewhere on the spectrum. Much of my life has been very painful. I began crying while responding to your post: it has taken me more than an hour to rewrite my response.

Yes, it has been more than a little difficult not only having autism/aspergers but also being black. Alot of pain. I too met a nice man and married him. We have an autistic son. It wasn't until the kids came along that I began to realize what had been happening. I honestly credit God with having been able to make it this far in life. The pain has been horrible at times.

It has taken many years for me to "learn how to live". The discrimination from white, black, and asian people has been awful. The hair issues, my poor coordination, dating before marriage UGH!! !! Nonetheless, I'm finding Dr. Seuss was right: The people that matter don't mind. And the people that mind, don't matter. The people who are my closest friends are still with me. I stay away from people who tease too much because I don't understand how to handle the emotions.

I think people who judge harshly are unhealthy. Those of us who have aspergers are able to find solutions to problems or create/share our talents. The abilities that we do share with others help to make life more rich and pleasurable for everyone.

However, if someone judges me, I am learning to be quiet. It is my way of protecting myself.

Please pm me if you need to. I am not online often but when I do check I will respond.
sincerely,
whisp

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2011, 5:54 pm

I myself am half black. My mom is black and my dad is white. Some people just never to understand that not everbody is normal, and they need to deal with it. Good luck.

StillStanding
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2011, 7:34 pm

Hi, I'm also Black and diagnosed with PDD-NOS. I'm looking to connect with other like myself. I do agree that we are harder on "us" than other people and I went through much of the same, teasing, mis-understanding, admonishing, etc. Please PM me.

blackberryplum
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Sep 2011, 8:25 pm

I recently self diagnosed myself and am also African American (black!). I understand what you have been through. I have also experienced the same and am glad I am married. I made different choices in regards to men and went with another race.

Now I know why I never had the feeling that I belonged to anything or anyone. It is difficult to report bullying when the abusers are your cousins. How do you tell your family that "hey, why are all the black kids picking on me.". Until I made this discovery about myself, I always thought I might have a "KICK ME" sign on my back. I have thought about mailing letters to every person that has ever had to be in my presence and explain to them what was actually going on with my behavior.

Just remember you are not alone, just unique.

aliengirl82
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2011, 9:45 pm

:D LOL OMG! I was tortured through out school...everyday. I was diagnosed very young with AS at the age of two. I didn't speak until I was 2 yrs old and when I finally said something it was "mother when I get big and have a baby in my stomach how does it come out." It has been down hill from there. BUT! I have accepted myself and I am extremely positive. I have been molested and raped repeatedly because of the lack social skills which predators seem to be attracted to. Still I rise! I would like to tell every woman to keep fighting and keep learning, we are special no matter what others say. I have finally learned a few social cues from others, and no matter what you will find some people that like you for your interest. I can't keep friends. I wish I had some. Can anyone help me with this??? 29 yr old african female, single, no children, 2 friends. :lol:

queenserenity22
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Sep 2011, 1:36 am

qwerty12345 wrote:
I just joined yesterday and am a black woman dx'd Aspergers almost a month ago.

I have gone through so much abuse from other African Americans in life for being who I am (bullied, beaten up, made fun of openly by blacks, even at work, to this day). Dating is a total failure for me as I only attract predatory and abusive type black men because of some of the Aspie traits I display I suppose. I also dropped out of college back when because of social drama (involving a black woman who humiliated me over a man...long story).

Any other black women here and do you feel you go through issues specific to being black as well as Aspie?

How you describe how you were treated sounds just like what I went through in middle school and high school. I can totally relate to everything you are saying. the african american quys treated me like dirt so dating at that time was like you said non exsistant but I did notice that the african american guys had no interest in me but I attracted the white guys like crazy ( my current boyfriend is half white and half asian) . For the most part because of those experiences I find it hard to relate to other black people and I always felt like an outcast amongst my own people. Its really cool to see that i was not the only one to have had that experience.

George Carlin

EmDaise
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Sep 2011, 1:21 pm

Hi, I'm new here.

I have not been dx'd with Aspergers, but I highly suspect that I have it. I am currently taking steps towards testing formally.

I'm African-American and have had similar experiences to the other African-American women who have posted here. I've spent my entire life feeling like an outsider, I've received the worse treatment from my own family.

My skin complexion, my hair texture, the slant of my eyes, the curve of my hips, the size and roundness of my booty have all been things that have caused a number of issues for me.

The way I speak and my word choices have caused problems as well.

I'm here, hoping to meet women who have or are experiencing the same or similar.

Maybe we can be a source of support for each other.

mcsquared
Raven
Raven

03 Oct 2011, 11:21 pm

EmDaise wrote:
Hi, I'm new here.
I have not been dx'd with Aspergers, but I highly suspect that I have it. I am currently taking steps towards testing formally.
I'm African-American and have had similar experiences to the other African-American women who have posted here. I've spent my entire life feeling like an outsider,
Maybe we can be a source of support for each other.

Hi--I'm Latina, a "halfie"/mestiza/2nd generation who grew up in a Native American community which made me sort of an outsider to begin within so it's hard to separate that from whether or not I have ASD. Definitely would like to be involved with other women of color on this community so thanks for starting this thread.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2011, 3:37 pm

Hi,

I'm a mixed race person from Holland. My mother is Dutch and my father is from West Africa. I haven't been on this forum for a while so it's nice to meet you.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2011, 3:52 pm

Hello!

Lady-ivy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2011, 10:51 pm

Well half. My mom is a lite skin aferican black women. My dad is from Guyana, south American and he half east indian, a and other halfs white, ameridean and a little afro guyanaese.

It's nice to meet you. Am new too.