Do people see you as a complete idiot or a complete genius?

Page 1 of 9 [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

user1001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2011, 3:04 pm

I often wonder this because I am on he ASD and a lot of people view me as a complete idiot for some unknown reason. I would blurt out the most random things and I don't know that much and I am slow at reacting to situations so when I do respond I say really dumb things. I get people saying I'm a idiot or that I'm not that bright. I also have learning problems so people will say that I'm. An idiot I take it seriously. I take a lot of insults toharshly since I am a sensitive person. Online I would go onto other webforums other than here and I get a lot of comments saying what a stupid thing I posted. So I would like to know how do people view you out of these two?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:09 pm

I've had people treat me like I'm a complete idiot, hence I must be a complete idiot. Well, I am. I don't know my arse from my elbow most of the time.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

Both.

And at times, I must admit, I fit each description.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:15 pm

Both, it seems. I've heard this a lot:

"I don't understand it. You're so smart!"

"It" being bad grades in school, or some simple task I can't handle.

Scandium
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Orange County, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Cluster

11 Aug 2011, 3:16 pm

People who know me well call me smart.
People who don't know me well generally tend to get bored of me and stop talking to me.
Which is why I have few friends, but the friends I have are close.

I don't remember ever being called dumb.

guywithAS
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2011, 3:20 pm

genius

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

11 Aug 2011, 3:21 pm

Idiots view me as a total idiot. People who know better know how smart I am.

lavi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2011, 3:21 pm

There's plenty of ignorance in the world. It's really sad that you have to hear that from people! You defenately don't sound like an idiot. Sadly ''normal'' people tend to think that what comes out of one's mouth is what defines the person.

justlefty
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2011, 3:27 pm

People normally think I'm really smart. It surprises me frequently, especially when the person has never discussed an academic subject with me. Maybe I give off a bit of a nerdy vibe? I also don't speak that much, so I guess I keep a lot of my dumb thoughts to myself. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about people online who say that you said something stupid. A lot of times that is just how people say that they disagree or don't like your opinion. They insult your intelligence to prove that they are smarter and therefore far more likely to be right.

In real life, I would try to avoid people who call you an idiot.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:28 pm

Both :)

Though, I'm lucky nowadays: When I get "complete idiot", usually it's because they think I am cognitively disabled, and that usually just gets patronizing sort of stuff, not actively hostile. I can deal with that.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:32 pm

In highschool they prettymuch all treated me as if I was mentally handicapped: probably due to the fact that I seldom spoke, and when forced to do so, I often stumbled and mumbled and failed to make clear what I was hoping to say. In fact, there was much spoken around me that I doubt would have been said if anyone really thought I was of any intrinsic value.

Nowadays, I think people see me as either charming or an ignorant jerk depending on if they know me on a personal level & I consider them worth my time (result: he's charming) or if I consider them to be confounding, confusing, or simply in the way (result: he's an ignorant jerk).

Oh. And my family has told me I'm often combattive.
Funny. That's how I see them at times too.

As for taking anyone else's opinion of you being an idiot seriously:

Quote:
A failure in comprehension must lie in the hands of the one with the greater understanding: the avid student is never at fault; it is the educator upon whose shoulder rests the burden and ability to modify his explination to a negotiable form. Failing to do so indicates a limit of understanding within the educator - either of the topic, or of the audience.

Last edited by OddFiction on 11 Aug 2011, 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:34 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
Idiots view me as a total idiot. People who know better know how smart I am.

This. The stupider people are, the less they know what real intelligence is.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:36 pm

Both. My understanding of things is very narrow until someone explains why certain things are so. I have times when I'm brilliant but I get called dumb a lot of times.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:42 pm

Yeah, I think I kind of agree with the "I'm dumb and smart at the same time" thing. There are things I'm really good at, and things I really suck at. In a way, that's a good thing, because it lets me know that I shouldn't get uppity about myself; but I shouldn't think I'm worthless either. Not that my worth is related to my skills; but half the world says it is, and it's hard to shake that off sometimes.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:45 pm

I think people think I'm an idiot because I feel that way all the time. Plus I have been called it by people who don't like me and I can tell between the lines they think I am just by what they are saying.

But ones who actually know me well know I am smart.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 3:53 pm

I've had people think both things about me.